Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012

Afternoon Gents. Decided to return to ATR after taking a season out to learn some discipline. On my previous thread ( http://forum.punterslounge.com/threads/99695-Philss_99-s-Flat-Season-Thread-2010 ) I had reasonable success but found I was posting runner's from basically every race on the card. That wasn't my intention. My Intention was to learn how to simplify my selections and how to discount runners. I ended with writers cramp by not following my own rules. Also after taking a break I wanted to learn more about Jump Racing. This has always been a thorn in my side so taking a break has given me a chance to analyse & study this aspect and appreciate it more instead of religiously sticking to flat racing. My thread this season will be mainly FLAT racing with a maximium of 2 selections per day but if I fancy a Jumps runner I will only select 1 from that days racing. As before, Please feel free to discuss & criticize with any input appreciated.

I dont really have a selection process as such, but analyse/ scrutinize racecards either by Trainer/Jockey pairings, Form, Coarse/Distance, OR , or all of the above. Initially I will

NOT be placing any money until I feel confident enough that my selections are working for me, but If I feel confident enough in a selection I will post my bet/bets for that day's racing.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Saturday 31st March Selections Start of the Flat season, Well only 1 place my selections will be today. Doncaster After studying the racecards I have reduced my selections from 6 runners down to 2. Both are very similar with reasoning so for today I am going to keep this simple.

Doncaster 17:30 = Dr Red Eye Doncaster 18:05 = Trans Sonic My selections have both had reasonably success on the AW and don't seem to mind returning to Turf either after a short rest and switching back to Turf surfaces. Both will have no issue with the distance but would maybe prefer a little more cut in the ground. Also Draw could be an issue and this is my main concern. A drop in rating since LTO for both selections is well noted and the later of the selections ( Trans Sonic ) seems to be coming from a Yard / Trainer in very good form. Both Jockeys have had reasonable success on both mounts but with the change in surface I would look for and E/W place on both selections. No jump selection today. Cheers Phil.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Good luck with this Phil, just to let you know all individual threads will shortly be moving into the Horse Racing systems section. It will be encouraged to post any tips in the daily threads in the ATR section also and Links to your thread can be put in your sig so followers can find it easily enough.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Well, Not a very good start. :sad Has taken a similar start to my old thread. Anyway Start of new month tomorrow. Onwards & Upwards ( I hope ) Will be 2 Flat Runners & 1 Jump's Tomorrow. Very happy with my choice's. Will post later.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Sunday 1st April Been mulling over my 1st selection and stuck between Ellie In The Pink ( 14:45 Doncaster ) & Docofthebay ( 15:20 Doncaster ). Both have been in good form but I think I will side with Ellie In The Pink. K Fallon saddles the ride today and the only time he has had this ride resulted in a WIN on similar going. OR seems a little steep but the High Draw could be an issue. Although a large field today, The quality is not fantastic, The previous form of Ellie In The Pink shows ( previous to LTO ) 9 runs last season with 4 Wins , 2 second & 4 forth places ( 2 in big fields ). Trainer has come into a decent run of form recently and with Fallon in the saddle we could be onto place finish here. Doncaster 17:35 - I really like the look of this race and I am backing Caldercruix to do the business here. Although a big hike in OR, recent form has been excellent. In the 9 previous outings results have been 2 wins , 6 thirds and 1 forth place. Early form for this Gelding was over similar Going which show mediocre results but if the recent AW form can be carried forward then a place at least should be easily possible. High draw again but Caldercruix seems to mix it up a little and I'm not to worried about this. Jumps

Ascot 15:30- Lexi's Boy gets my vote here, LTO in 17F race Class 4 Lexi's Boy finished 2nd but the Going certainly did not suit. Today see's a return to suited Going and should benefit from this. Class 2 16F race is relatively new to Lexi's Boy with most success at class 4 but If recent good form continue's then this can be overcome in a strong field which has produced mixed results. Ellie In The Pink - E/W Caldercruix - E/W Lexi's Boy - E/W :hope

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Only 1 selection today Guys. Monday 2 April Redcar 16:15 - Class 4 6F race which seems a little low on quality runners. Toby Tyler is my pick of an average bunch here. Although LTO was a poor run, It was his first run in 6 months and probably needed a blow out. Previous to this we see some excellent form. Previous to LTO was Oct 2011, If we study form from 1 year previous ( Oct 2010 ) then we see a different story. 7 wins in 22 starts plus 2 places and a good few near misses seems to tell it's own story. The above is over different Going and not mostly AW, It seems suited to most goings and here we also find a distance that's suited with 6 of the career 9 wins over this distance with the other 3 over 7f ( 2 wins ) and 5f ( 1 win ) M Fenton saddles today and it's noticed that alot of the good work over the last year is with this jockey in the saddle. Going all out today. Toby Tyler - WIN

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Sorry no selection today, Felt like crap and when I looked at my pc it intensified my headache. Problem is I had a good day finally. Anyway onto tomorrow, Will be selecting Wolverhampton A/W meeting. Looks half decent cards for a change.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Wednesday 04 March Wolverhampton 19:00 Although not a consistant AW runner Spirit Of The Law has some very good form on turf. This is it's first run in 193 days and hopefully can carry on where it left off. Class of race is lower than LTO but trip is slightly longer than any previous. Has previous form running at todays's weight but higher than last 3 run's that have resulted in 2 wins and a 2nd. OR increases slightly, But the encouragement for me today is todays run is saddled by the in form Spencer. A poor draw may be overcome as last win was from high draw and am hopeful of a place at least with this one. Spirit Of The Law - Win

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012

Wednesday 04 March Wolverhampton 19:00 Although not a consistant AW runner Spirit Of The Law has some very good form on turf. This is it's first run in 193 days and hopefully can carry on where it left off. Class of race is lower than LTO but trip is slightly longer than any previous. Has previous form running at todays's weight but higher than last 3 run's that have resulted in 2 wins and a 2nd. OR increases slightly, But the encouragement for me today is todays run is saddled by the in form Spencer. A poor draw may be overcome as last win was from high draw and am hopeful of a place at least with this one. Spirit Of The Law - Win
4th - chased leaders, hard driven over 3f out, headway to challenge over 1f out, kept on same pace final furlong. Seems like it gave it good go but unlucky.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Hi Phil, Good luck with this but just a small point if I may. If you've read the Question & Idea thread in the main ATR forum you will see I have a bee in my bonnet about keeping a running total in individual threads. You go in a thread & see the selections, with reasoning but a lot of the time you don't get an update of where the poster is overall. It puts me off looking at these threads & judging from the replies in the Q & I thread I'm not the only one. You've just got going so you could do a quick update, it doesn't have to be owt special just Winners/Runners, Stakes, returns & Profit/Loss will do & if you are looking to be more disciplined then this is one of the things I think you need to keep on top of. Good luck again, Rio.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Thursday 5th April First selection today confirmed as a Non Runner, so only looking at 1 more Folkestone 16:40

Not the type of race I normally look at but one Filly here has caught my eye. Only 3 previous runs ( all at Lingfield ) on the AW have resulted in 2 x 2nds and 1 x 3rd and all 3 runs have been in 2012. The recent form of Imtithal have all been over 8f but today's run is over 9f and the first on Turf is Good to Firm. This might cause an issue in the later part of the race but I personally don't think it will be an issue from reading previous race reports. Up against 2 runners in Estedaama & Cotton Trader, the 3 mentioned all have very similar careers so far but the recent form of today' jockey ( J Fanning ) is swaying my vote. LTO Imtithal was held up and gave a very good hard run in the last 2 furlongs to finish 2nd from 9. If this horse stays the distance, comparing the recent form of Estedaama & Cotton Trader, I think Imtihal is better. Fingers crossed with this one and hope it can be one to watch in the future. Imtithal - Win

Thursday 5th April First selection today confirmed as a Non Runner, so only looking at 1 more Folkestone 16:40

Not the type of race I normally look at but one Filly here has caught my eye. Only 3 previous runs ( all at Lingfield ) on the AW have resulted in 2 x 2nds and 1 x 3rd and all 3 runs have been in 2012. The recent form of Imtithal have all been over 8f but today's run is over 9f and the first on Turf is Good to Firm. This might cause an issue in the later part of the race but I personally don't think it will be an issue from reading previous race reports. Up against 2 runners in Estedaama & Cotton Trader, the 3 mentioned all have very similar careers so far but the recent form of today' jockey ( J Fanning ) is swaying my vote. LTO Imtithal was held up and gave a very good hard run in the last 2 furlongs to finish 2nd from 9. If this horse stays the distance, comparing the recent form of Estedaama & Cotton Trader, I think Imtihal is better. Fingers crossed with this one and hope it can be one to watch in the future. Imtithal - Win

Race Result = 2nd - Took keen hold, tracked leaders, went 2nd inside final 2f, led over 1f out, ridden and headed inside final furlong, stayed on same pace. Beaten by 2 1/4 lengths. Not a bad result and I am keen to follow this 3yr old Filly again.

Hi Phil, Good luck with this but just a small point if I may. If you've read the Question & Idea thread in the main ATR forum you will see I have a bee in my bonnet about keeping a running total in individual threads. You go in a thread & see the selections, with reasoning but a lot of the time you don't get an update of where the poster is overall. It puts me off looking at these threads & judging from the replies in the Q & I thread I'm not the only one. You've just got going so you could do a quick update, it doesn't have to be owt special just Winners/Runners, Stakes, returns & Profit/Loss will do & if you are looking to be more disciplined then this is one of the things I think you need to keep on top of. Good luck again, Rio.
Many Thanks for the reply Rio, And I completely agree with your post. I am a regular reader in ATR and have read the Question & Idea post and agree with what other posters concerns about individual threads are. Like you have pointed out about Winners/Runners, Stakes, returns & Profit/Loss, This will appear very soon but I am a little unsure of the best way to do this for what I am trying to achieve. My thread will show my daily selections for Flat Racing But I want to understand Jumps more this season and it's not an aspect I'm very clued up on at the moment. I don't want to over complicate my Runners / Profit & Loss because I do not place bets every day and would like to keep my Flat & Jump selections seperate initially with a weekly combined total posted if that's other readers want to see. Problem is I am a little unsure of the best way to keep the 3 units separate ( Flat profit/loss , Jump profit / loss , Weekly combined results ) without over complicating the thread. If anyone has any idea how to keep this simple, Your input will be very much appreciated. Cheers Phil.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Saturday 7/04/2012 Kempton 15:15 - ( AW ) Hoping this race doesn't come back and haunt me. I have been an avid follower of Activate but last 3 runs have been very disappointing and a change in trainer over the close season means I will be turning my attention elsewhere. Not the value for money that I usually look for, Rasheed is my choice here. Although a hike is class as to what it's used too, The winter AW season has seen some very good form. Running in a class 2 today over a preferred distance, The difference in the class of race doesn't look to imposing as what seems quite a weak field. Lowish draw could be a deciding factor for Rasheed and a Trainer / Jockey combination that's in very good form is swaying my vote. Last 5 runs ( 4 at Kempton ) have resulted in 3 wins , 1 place and a 5th place with the later in an unpreferred distance but ran well. Rasheed - Win ( currently 9/2 @ SJ ) Musselburgh 15:20 - ( Turf ) Very similar to above, I have been following Captain Dimitrios recently but seems more suited to the AW. Not the value I usually look for but siding with Fahey's Prime Exhibit here. Not very much AW experience and is suited more to Turf. Although recent stats are average, I think a return to 7f is welcome, and a drop in race class might be a deciding vote with some excellent form in class 3 7f races. Fahey will have taken the drop into consideration and I think this move will return a welcome win. Prime Exhibit - Win ( Currently 10/3 @ SJ ) Not suprised by the market move to be honest. Haydock 16:40 - ( Jumps ) - Just my type of race and the type i'm hoping to learn from. Class 3 28f , Good going. My choice for a place here is Jaunty Journey. Whilst I have following Jumps I have found looking at Twiston-Davies runners regular. So no change today. This 9yr has some very good form this season with quite a few placements in decent company races. A little concerned about either pulling up or unseated rider over similar distances ( seems to do better in 24f races ) I think the ground today is going to suit and a drift in price from 6/1 to current 12/1 means I'm looking for a place here. Jaunty Journey - E/W ( Currently 12/1 @ SJ ) P.S - Price's are correct at time of posting.

Saturday 7/04/2012 Kempton 15:15 - ( AW ) Hoping this race doesn't come back and haunt me. I have been an avid follower of Activate but last 3 runs have been very disappointing and a change in trainer over the close season means I will be turning my attention elsewhere. Not the value for money that I usually look for, Rasheed is my choice here. Although a hike is class as to what it's used too, The winter AW season has seen some very good form. Running in a class 2 today over a preferred distance, The difference in the class of race doesn't look to imposing as what seems quite a weak field. Lowish draw could be a deciding factor for Rasheed and a Trainer / Jockey combination that's in very good form is swaying my vote. Last 5 runs ( 4 at Kempton ) have resulted in 3 wins , 1 place and a 5th place with the later in an unpreferred distance but ran well. Rasheed - Win ( currently 9/2 @ SJ ) Musselburgh 15:20 - ( Turf ) Very similar to above, I have been following Captain Dimitrios recently but seems more suited to the AW. Not the value I usually look for but siding with Fahey's Prime Exhibit here. Not very much AW experience and is suited more to Turf. Although recent stats are average, I think a return to 7f is welcome, and a drop in race class might be a deciding vote with some excellent form in class 3 7f races. Fahey will have taken the drop into consideration and I think this move will return a welcome win. Prime Exhibit - Win ( Currently 10/3 @ SJ ) Not suprised by the market move to be honest. Haydock 16:40 - ( Jumps ) - Just my type of race and the type i'm hoping to learn from. Class 3 28f , Good going. My choice for a place here is Jaunty Journey. Whilst I have following Jumps I have found looking at Twiston-Davies runners regular. So no change today. This 9yr has some very good form this season with quite a few placements in decent company races. A little concerned about either pulling up or unseated rider over similar distances ( seems to do better in 24f races ) I think the ground today is going to suit and a drift in price from 6/1 to current 12/1 means I'm looking for a place here. Jaunty Journey - E/W ( Currently 12/1 @ SJ ) P.S - Price's are correct at time of posting.
Results Rasheed = 5th - raced keenly in mid-division, headway over 4f out, never nearer Prime Exhibit = 3rd - mid-division, headway 2f out, ridden and effort on outside over 1f out, kept on inside final furlong Jaunty Journey = 4th - prominent, led 4th until next, not fluent 7th, led 9th, headed 17th, blundered 3 out, weakened before next

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Sunday 8/04/2012 Musselburgh Been mulling over my selections for today and seem at a lose end on which ones to follow. I have been looking at Upper Lambourn (14:20), Argentine (14:50), Joshua The First (16:55) and Bygones For Coins (17:30). I always try to go for the value and I think 3 of the above selections have alot to do in their respective races. So going to go all out on Argentine today. Musselburgh 14:50 - Although a jump in class from 6 to 4, The out of season form of Argentine is excellent. Last 7 runs have been on All Weather tracks over the same distance as today's race ( 5f ). 1 win , 5 second and 1 fourth place but all in class 6 and in some decent company. A return to Turf today where there has been some half decent form on similar going but the deciding factor here for me is the previous 7 runs have been under a new trainer and seems to be getting better results as from previous trainers. Although previous form at Musselburgh is not very good, We might just see a re juvinated runner here and will be looking for a place. Argentine - E/W ( Currently 18/1 @ SJ ) P.S - Hoping to have thread stats up tonight, Having a problem with excel.

Sunday 8/04/2012 Musselburgh Been mulling over my selections for today and seem at a lose end on which ones to follow. I have been looking at Upper Lambourn (14:20), Argentine (14:50), Joshua The First (16:55) and Bygones For Coins (17:30). I always try to go for the value and I think 3 of the above selections have alot to do in their respective races. So going to go all out on Argentine today. Musselburgh 14:50 - Although a jump in class from 6 to 4, The out of season form of Argentine is excellent. Last 7 runs have been on All Weather tracks over the same distance as today's race ( 5f ). 1 win , 5 second and 1 fourth place but all in class 6 and in some decent company. A return to Turf today where there has been some half decent form on similar going but the deciding factor here for me is the previous 7 runs have been under a new trainer and seems to be getting better results as from previous trainers. Although previous form at Musselburgh is not very good, We might just see a re juvinated runner here and will be looking for a place. Argentine - E/W ( Currently 18/1 @ SJ ) P.S - Hoping to have thread stats up tonight, Having a problem with excel.
Result = 6th - behind,effort 2f out, never dangerous , Not impressed by this result, Thought it had more in the tank than the others.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Quick update so far. Not impressed with results as I seem to be chasing the value runners to much. As you can see, No bets have been placed yet ( probably a good job too ) but I think the fields are getting stronger as the season starts so should have a couple of bets over the weekend. Selection Stats Flat Runners / Win / Place = 8 / 0 / 2 A.W Runners / Win / Place = 2 / 0 / 0 Hurdle/Chase / Win / Place = 2 / 1 / 0 Staked = 0. Points Profit = 0. Points Loss = 0. Points Couple of selections today, Will post soon. Phil.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Wednesday 11th April Catterick Catterick 15:30 - Tricky looking Handicap race, There are some quality runners starting to turn out but with poor form. In this Class 4 , 11f race, 4 runners have very good claims but my selection is Rio's Rosanna. 10 career runs have resulted in 1 win & 6 places all over races between 10 & 12f, So distance will not be an issue here. All runs bar 1 have been on turf and despite a variety of highish draws always seems there or there about's. Today's draw is the highest in this race ( draw 15 ) but looking at previous 11f races and taking into account the sharp left bend, a higher drawn runner could be favoured. No run in the last 159 days, this previous beaten favourite should be looking to at least get a place as when it does get beat, It doesn't get beat my much. Rio's Rosanna - E/W ( Currently 14/1 @ SJ ) Catterick 16:30 - Very similar Handicap race as to what is posted above. This Class 5, 13f race has a couple of quality runners that are returning from long lay offs. My selection Maslak has had no lay off. Some very good form to date over the close season but a return to turf on preferred going could be a very good factor here. Only worry is with 12 runners the draw for today is 7. If Maslak does not start well, It could very easily get held up but reading the previous race form seems a pace setter who tires towards last furlong of races. Good E/W bet who also has every chance of winning is it starts well. Maslak - E/W ( Currently 16/1 @ SJ )

Wednesday 11th April Catterick Catterick 15:30 - Tricky looking Handicap race, There are some quality runners starting to turn out but with poor form. In this Class 4 , 11f race, 4 runners have very good claims but my selection is Rio's Rosanna. 10 career runs have resulted in 1 win & 6 places all over races between 10 & 12f, So distance will not be an issue here. All runs bar 1 have been on turf and despite a variety of highish draws always seems there or there about's. Today's draw is the highest in this race ( draw 15 ) but looking at previous 11f races and taking into account the sharp left bend, a higher drawn runner could be favoured. No run in the last 159 days, this previous beaten favourite should be looking to at least get a place as when it does get beat, It doesn't get beat my much. Rio's Rosanna - E/W ( Currently 14/1 @ SJ ) Catterick 16:30 - Very similar Handicap race as to what is posted above. This Class 5, 13f race has a couple of quality runners that are returning from long lay offs. My selection Maslak has had no lay off. Some very good form to date over the close season but a return to turf on preferred going could be a very good factor here. Only worry is with 12 runners the draw for today is 7. If Maslak does not start well, It could very easily get held up but reading the previous race form seems a pace setter who tires towards last furlong of races. Good E/W bet who also has every chance of winning is it starts well. Maslak - E/W ( Currently 16/1 @ SJ )
Results - Rio's Rosanna = 6th - held up towards rear, headway into mid-division 3f out, kept on under prerssure final 2f, never reached leaders Maslak = 9th - in touch on outside, lost place 3f out, soon beaten Along way to go yet, Not going to change my stategy ( not yet anyway ) :ok Selection Stats Flat Runners / Win / Placed = 10 / 0 / 2 A.W Runners / Win / Placed = 2 / 0 / 0 Hurdle/Chase / Win / Placed = 2 / 1 / 0 Staked = 0. Points Profit = 0. Points Loss = 0. Points Rather glad I have not parted with any money yet, but have been tempted.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Thursday 12th April Selections Due to intermittent internet connection, I am posting my selections early with reasoning to follow. Flat - Folkestone 17:05 = Sherman McCoy ==== Racing Abandoned due to weather. A/W - Wolverhampton 20:25 = Whitby Jet = 4th - dwelt, in rear, headway over 1f out, ridden and kept on inside final furlong Jumps - Aintree 16:15 = Kumbeshwar = 4th - in touch, chased leader 5 out, lost place 3 out, kept on same pace, no impression before last Hopefully will have a working connection back soon so I can post my reasoning. :ok

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Hi Phil. Just a question. How are you going to know if this system works without a pretend staking strategy and a pretend betting bank? It is impossible. You are keeping track of how many winners or places you get, but that's no good.. Even if you get a pile of winners, you still won't know if the system is working or not.

Re: Philss_99's Flat Thread 2012 Hi Phil - there is also a massive, massive phchological difference between hyperthetical selections and actually putting money down on them. I am first class at the first of these but as I have mentioned before, the phychological aspect of punting is by far the worst aspect of my game... Stakes and Returns - whether or not you have actually had a bet or not are of paramount importance imho. Renders the thread a little meaningless for the reader if they don't know how you are getting on or which are real and pretend bets... JUst my opinion - Good Luck with it and your bets - real or otherwise!:)

Hi Phil. Just a question. How are you going to know if this system works without a pretend staking strategy and a pretend betting bank? It is impossible. You are keeping track of how many winners or places you get, but that's no good.. Even if you get a pile of winners, you still won't know if the system is working or not.
Cheers for the reply Aidy. Was thinking about this the other night and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to keep track of my selections, So yes I agree with you. In theory I would ( on paper ) but the only thing the thread is doing is highlighting how many Winner / Places I am achieving in numerous selections. I will repost later with an update of starting bank etc, And post up profit / loss from the 14 selections I have had. I thought something was missing when I re started my thread but basically just jumped back in after a year away from ATR. Thanks Phil

Hi Phil - there is also a massive, massive phchological difference between hyperthetical selections and actually putting money down on them. I am first class at the first of these but as I have mentioned before, the phychological aspect of punting is by far the worst aspect of my game... Stakes and Returns - whether or not you have actually had a bet or not are of paramount importance imho. Renders the thread a little meaningless for the reader if they don't know how you are getting on or which are real and pretend bets... JUst my opinion - Good Luck with it and your bets - real or otherwise!:)
Same as previous post ... I agree. My selections, whether I am just following a runner or actually backing it never change once chosen, but I do understand what you mean in hyperthetical and actual bets. I will back track my previous posts and update soon. What I will add to the thread is a starting bank of 150 points ( backtracked obviously ) and post asap. Thread should work well then and highlight my faults by selection. Will keep my actual bets on a paper trail to not over complicate the thread. Might post them up say once per month to give the readers an idea what i'm actually backing besides just following. Cheers Phil