Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!!

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!!

Only problem with the thread is that it is making me feel old!!! Not sure this'll be popular but for me Pat Eddery on the flat... When the money was down there was noone better to get the job done - doubt anyone will remember but also remember him winning a Royal Ascot handicap on Son Of Sharp Shot in 1995 - he won 6 in a row on it - always cheekily and was always a decent price!! 7/1, 13/2, 5/1, 4/1, 13/8 & 5/1... I know he didn't seem to ride out for a place as hard as he could on occasion but I'd generally back win only!
I had a good run that year with Son Of Sharp Shot , his Beesbrough win at Royal Ascot was a highlight for me. Have to agree with you about Pat Eddery , didn't see him in his prime but i recall he was Jackpot material never Placepot material , it was either win or unplaced. Celeric was a good one of his at around the same time.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!!

My favourite horse on the flat was Canford Cliffs - by a country mile as well. I just loved everything about him; the way he could travel, the way he could quicken and the general way that he carried himself. I'll be shocked if I ever have as much admiration for another horse and I'm usually quite biased towards horses that I've won a lot of money from but that certainly isn't the case with Canford. I don't know who's my favourite over jumps to be honest. Probably Big Buck's because of his sheer ability to gallop, both on and off the bridle. I love watching him move and his jumping of hurdles is beautiful more often than not - he just floats over them. If I was speaking through my pocket, I'd probably say Coronea Lilly here. :lol Favourite flat jockey is Graham Gibbons; the man just makes me money! Favourite National Hunt jockey is Paddy Brennan (closely followed by Wayne Hutchinson - who is utter class), again from a punting point of view because he always seems to do well when I've backed him mounts.
He was very special mate, i will always remember this race for the rest of my days. And Top call home by Simon Holt, some race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz-Be0yfgdI

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! over the jumps TEN PLUS trained by the legend Fulke Walwyn, we had a guy in the yard who looked after this horse and we followed it from its 1st race, then winning the Supreme Noviced at Cheltenham and i thought it good enough to win a gold cup at some point, sadly the horse died in the 1989 Gold cup which was voted the greatest race of all time by RP readers! He went down at the 3rd last going far better than the eventual 1st and 2nd, the great Dessie and Yahoo. Even thinking about that day brings tears to my eyes Istabraq would run it close as a favourite of mine and i was at one of its champion hurdle wins - simply awesome On the flat, i followed a couple of handicappers whom seem to always get in the frame at big prices. Mels Choice trained by Mel Brittain and Come on the blues who won the Royal Hunt cup at Ascot, chris rutter was my fav apprentice and he rode both.