European Tour 2012:Avantha Masters Feb 16-19

PerryPFC

Re: European Tour 2012:Avantha Masters Feb 16-19 It’s fair to say that there’s a bit of a decline in the quality of the field this week, but while the likes of Westwood and Kaymer go home to count their cash and buy something shiney and new, the tour moves on to India. While it’s not the most exciting event it’s still 300,000 euros to the winner, which is pretty good for a weeks work and a bit more than I’m going to earn.   Bernd Wiesberger - 1pt e/ew @ 66/1 - Skybet Two wins on the Challenge Tour in 2010 marked the Austrian out as a player to watch, he followed that up with a fine season on the main tour with five top-10 finishes in 2011. T29 here last year he comes into the tournament on the back of an encouraging 24th in Dubai and some decent form in South Africe in the winter. Some of the older players might find it hard to get motivated for this one but for a player like Wiesberger this is a great opportunity to get that first win   Lorenzo Gagli - 1pt e/w @ 60/1 - Bet365   I backed Gagli earlier in the year and things haven’t gone well for him in the middle east. Missed cuts in Qatar and Dubai have left plenty of room for improvement in the Italian’s game, he’s not been playing terribly but just never really got anything going. This step down in class should suit him though, being one of the straightest drivers on tour (8th in driving accuracy in 2011) will be of great help on this tree lined course and his accurate iron play (1st in GIR in 2011) will stand him in good stead on these small greens. 6 top five finishes marked him out as a player on an upward curve last season and I’ll take this price that he can rediscover some form here.   David Horsey - 1pt e/w @ 70/1 - Bet365   A winner in each of the last two years Horsey is a quality player and this is a very attractive price. He had a bit of a stinker in Dubai, missing the cut by quite some distance but he’s said that his swing is there but just not the scores at the moment. An accurate driver and excellent putter Horsey has the game to do well on this course, his putting should shine on the slopey greens in Delhi. At his best Horsey is one of the class acts in this field and I’m happy to take the chance that he’ll start to find the scores this week.   Scott Jamieson- 1pt e/w @ 40/1 - Skybet   12th in Qatar and 5th in Dubai made for a very encouraging start to the season and built on the promise of his rookie season in 2011. He made the cut here last year but finished well down the field although he had only played a couple of events by that time. Jamieson is now much more experienced and with 6 top ten finishes in just over a year on tour he’ll be looking to make the next step and get his maiden victory. It’s debatable whether this course will entirely suit the Scot but I’m banking on his current fine form to serve him well here.

Re: European Tour 2012:Avantha Masters Feb 16-19 [TABLE]

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD]Golf [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD]Avantha Masters [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD]Romain Wattel (Each-way) [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD]2/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD]19/02/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD]Bet365 @ 34.00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD]In this weak field, this player should be well capable of a place at the very least. There are hardly any big names here. He has played very well so far in 2012 with two Top 20's thus far. He finished 5th twice last year in the South African Open Championship and the Spanish Open, and an 8th place finish in the Castello Masters. It is only a matter of time before he breaks his duck, and he won't find an easier tournament. [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD]Golf [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD]Avantha Masters [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD]Wen-Chong Liang (Each-way) [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD]2/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD]19/02/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD]Bet365 @ 51.00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD]Going for China's top golfer here. He should know the Asian circuit fairly well i would imagine. He played well in his only event this year, finishing 24th in Abu Dhabi. I remember him playing extremely well in the US PGA Championship back in 2010 where he finished 8th, he showed his class that week. He is a European Tour winner and has to be also very respected in this field. [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD]Golf [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD]Avantha Masters [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD]Angelo Que (Each-way) [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD]1/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD]19/02/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD]Totesport @ 151.00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD]Going to stick with another Asian here and go for this Filipino golfer who does very well on the Asian circuit. Interestingly he finished 9th in this event last year which is eye-catching and maybe a bit overpriced, as he will know his way around here. He finished 19th in Singapore in late 2011 so he is obviously capable and is worth a small investment. [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: European Tour 2012:Avantha Masters Feb 16-19 Jose Manuel Lara @ 126 Sportingbet Relatively weak field this week and I think Lara offers value here. He hasn't started the year that well but he finished nicely last year with an 8th and 11th. Had a number of top 20 finishes last year and was 3rd in this event back in 2008. That was a different course but still in India in his first event at that course, so some positive experiences to draw on nonetheless.

Re: European Tour 2012:Avantha Masters Feb 16-19 D Drysdale @ 40/1 paddypower G Havret @20/1 paddypower Both players have the game to suit the course this week and both have form on the course. Drysdale 3rd here 2 years ago and Havret 3rd last year. Both players have also shown form in recent weeks. This course requires a good tee to green game which both players have and both are also good putters.

Re: European Tour 2012:Avantha Masters Feb 16-19 Great tip though Crouch. Hope you were on each way, see he just came home in 5th after trying for an eagle on the last and getting in the water. At least he showed great aggression and if he had eagled the last things could have gone his way.

Re: European Tour 2012:Avantha Masters Feb 16-19

Great tip though Crouch. Hope you were on each way' date=' see he just came home in 5th after trying for an eagle on the last and getting in the water. At least he showed great aggression and if he had eagled the last things could have gone his way.[/quote'] I don't think I've ever bet each way in my life... With 3 Top 5 picks and no winners this year, and all Top 5's without ties, I might have to reconsider at some point. And the aggression was definitely a nice sight. Being that far behind he could just settle for a solo 2nd, but going for the win is always a great sight. Nothing wrong with putting the ball in the water when 3 behind. Putting it in when 3 up on the last hole though... Spare a thought for Peter Whiteford too. Not only did he play a choke filled 3rd round, but he got DQ'd when he would only have been 2 shots behind had he called for some sort of review before signing his card. I've no real idea of his character, but it's the kind of thing that could make him an interesting bet in future tournaments. Happy to have the WGC events coming up, particularly the match play. Personally not a fan so I can sit out a few tournaments and just let Kevshat do the work for me.