class ?

i have realised that speed ratings alone cant be relied upon to get a clear picture of a race so this year i feel i would like to incorporate a "class rating " into my calculations but im not sure the best way to go about this . i have toyed with a few ideas and i have come up with : a) dividing the horses win prizemoney (last 2 years ) by wins (last 2 years ) to give overall class figure b) highest place value in last 3 runs to give recent class rating i figured that if 3 horses were rated : horse 1 speed rating 70 overall class 3000 recent 2000 horse 2 speed 69 overall class 1000 recent 1000 horse 3 speed 70 overall 2000 recent 2000 as you can see this would allow me to see deeper into a race as in this instance horses 1 and 3 possess a class advantage does anyone have any insight into this or do you have a method of estimating class that is proven to work ?

Re: class ? Couple of ideas...... You could do average race class of wins...........say up to last 3 wins or within last year So you might have a horse that's won class 5, class 4, class 5 - his average would be 14 divide by 3 = 4.66 Horse b might have won a class 6 and and a class 5 - 11 divide by 2 = 5.50 The lower the number, the higher the class rating The way i do it is to give each handicap race a race rating based on what rating a horse would be set to carry 9 stone in that race so, eg the 6.50 at kemp tonight has a race rating of 68. Then i look at the race ratings of wins and last runs of the runners (handicap races only) Tenbridge - 68 Berlusca - 58(won) 58, 63 Darnathean - 63(won), 87, 78 From this you can see at a glance that Darnathean is down in class from last couple of runs but up from last win Berlusca is up in class from last win and last run Tenbridge runs in the same class as last time (hasn't won a handicap)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.