BBOTD Sunday 29th of January

*Tarateeno - Ffos Las 2:55* Last hurdles win came off a mark of 111, runs off 90 tomorrow, very well handicapped horse and did not run too badly last time out when 3rd to King Of Castile. Terra Bleu was 2nd that day and came out and ran a very nice race yesterday and Tarateeno has been dropped 4 pounds for that run. Colin Bolger has won on the horse twice so knows the horse well and it wont find a more leniant handicap mark than this, so its a great opportunity to get a win. Trip and ground are fine. *1 Point WIN @ 6/1 Boylesports BOG*

BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 14:45 Sedgefield Sundown Trail Win (2,50) PaddyPower The 7 year old have improved his form lately and might be able to continue his good form. He got two runs at this track, whit one win to his name. The distance seems to suit him well. He got a decent speed and his grade history gets him the vote. The ground are expected to be soft. That should not be a problem for Sundown Trail. He previous showen some decent form, on a slightly slow going. Sundown Trail recent form. 1-4-5-1-3 The jockey Costello are booked for the 4th time in a row. He had a decent jump season, winning 14 % of his hurdle runs.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 3.05 Leopardstown Sea of Thunder 1pt win @ 9/1 Betfred Going to take a chance with this one and take on the top two from the Mullins yard. There are 3 horses in this race that are all prominent in the betting for the Albert Bartlett and I have already backed my selection for that race so I see no reason not to back him today. Make Your Mark has made a very favourable impression on his 2 runs to date but he only won a maiden hurdle last time out and this represents a massive step up in grade. He does look potentially very classy and it would be no surprise if he were to take this. Boston Bob has by far shown the best form when winning last time out in grade 1 company and beating a good horse in Mount Benbullben in the process. I am very surprised that this one is not favourite for the race but he does have to give the field weight. He has to give my selection 7lbs and Make Your Mark 10lbs but he should definitely be bang there at the finish. The one I do like however is the C Byrnes trained Sea Of Thunder who was in the process of winning very easily at Cheltenham before falling at the final hurdle. He made a huge impression on me that day as he travelled through the race so powerfully and quickly put daylight between him and his rivals after the 2nd last. He never had to come off the bridle that day and he was around 7 lengths up when he came down. The form he showed that day was a massive improvement on anything he had shown in the past but he seems to progressing this year at a rate of knots. The 2 horses he had in behind that day are rated in the high 120’s. Rev It Up came into the race chasing a 4 timer but actually went on to win next time up at Chepstow off 129. Deireadh Re also won next time up in a class 2 event where he got the better of Shoreacres. The 2 of them along with Barwell Bridge pulled 22 lengths clear of the field so the form looks strong. The fact that Shoreacres finished 2nd puts a solid look to the form with him finishing 2nd to Our Father and Smad Place either side of that run. The form for me is very strong and I think Sea Of Thunder is a very big price here. The one slight doubt I have is the drop in trip. It is surprising they are dropping him back in trip given how well he ran over 3miles last time. It wouldn’t surprise me P T Enright tries to go from the front on this horse and make use of his stamina. This looks a good race on what is an excellent card at Leopardstown and I am hoping Sea of Thunder can confirm the promise he showed at Cheltenham and burst the bubble of the 2 Mullins horses.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 2.30 Leopardstown: Hurricane Fly @ 8/15 Stan James I'm really looking forward to see Hurricane Fly tomorrow here at Leopardstown. It's his belated reappearance this season and he'll surly not be 100% for this race after a nine month lay-off. The lack of race fitness is obviously a concern but It's still hard to see him getting beaten tomorrow. Unaccompanied will be the main danger and is a lovely horse, a real beauty with plenty of ability but I doubt that she's good enough to beat Hurricane Fly. Thousand Stars & Oscar Wells are good horses as well but we all know what a special horse Hurricane Fly is. His massive talent should bring him successfully through this race. Donn McCleand found some nice words today in the Irish Field btw.: "He's a special horse, and it is worthwhile making the effort to go see special horses race."

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 2:30 Leopardstown - Hurricane Fly - Back Clearly not ideal that he's been off the track since last year's Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham and he's already swerved a couple of engagements this season due to minor problems but it seems as though he's right again and I take him to continue his winning streak. He's always had immense potential but had previously been plagued by injuries throughout his career until he finally came good last season. He conquered all that was put in front of him. He had always been touted as a future Champion Hurdle winner but injuries had always denied him his chance until he finally git his day last March. He produced a breathtaking display to win one of the strongest renewals in years and if I take him to pick up here where he left off. Clearly he won't be cherry ripe but he as confirmed form lines that give him clear daylight ahead of all of today's rivals except Unaccompanied, but he may have to settle for 3rd today as I fancy Thousand Stars o reverse lto form here and finish 2nd to Hurricane Fly. Hopefully the champ will come back with a win here and then come on for the run to set up another breathtaking Champion Hurdle renewal at Cheltenham against some old foes 1pt win @ 1/2 Hills BOG

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 1.25 Leopardstown:Blackstarmountain @ 13/8 William Hill Willie Mullins charge has took to the fences extremely well this season. After winning his beginner chase on the bridle he won lto the Christmas Grade 1 Novice Chase over today's course, trip and ground conditions. He has displayed a good turn of foot when needed, staying on well and today's race is again a grade 1 affair and the main challengers come in the form of D Pipe's Notus De La Tour second to Blackstarmountain in last months race comes over again to re-oppose. Also in mix is Flemenstar who is unbeaten in last two starts over fences after his second to the highly regarded Bog Warrior on his chase debut. Todays race is a big step up in grade and IMO would have to improve alot to land spoils here. Mullins is sweet on this horse and I fancy it to improve in winning again today and go on to Cheltenham with good e/w prospects in the Arkle.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 1.55 Leopardstown Sandyford Handicap Chase 2m1f LUKE'S BENEFIT 4/1 bog (William Hill, Boylesports) I like the chance of this late progressive horse in this handicap chase. Luke's Benefit is a 10yo but had his debut at 7yo in a bumper and started his career over hurdles just in 2010. He showed very little until able to collect his first ever prize money last April at Clonmel in a Maiden Hurdle over 2m on Yielding to Soft ground as today finishing second 4L behind Schinkel, another lightly raced horse who went on to improve a lot in handicaps (1 win and 4 places since) and is now rated 114. Luke's Benefit's first tries in the handicap sphere at the end of the last season have been poor both over hurdles and fences but during this Winter he has improved a lot winning 4 of his last 6 starts two over hurdles and last two over fences. For today's race he is just 1lb out of the handicap but it looks as he is the one with more room for improvements and one able to win for example Jigalo, one with a very solid chance in this race on his recent form, is a very consistent type never missing the frame (thrice second in his last three start) but rarely wins. Just Friends has a line with Jigalo and doesn't make a special appeal since never appeared to be a winning type of chaser at any level. The other two horses standing a good chance on paper are Uncle Tom Cobley and Senior Again and both were behind my selection in their last starts. Senior Again was 4 1/2L behind my selection when they met at Punchestown on the 31st of December and Uncle Tom Cobley 2L behind last time out at Naas (8 Jan). There has been a bit rain since yesterday and that surely is gonna be another little plus for Luke's Benefit (last 4 wins came on soft, soft, soft to heavy and heavy) and Denis Gerard Hogan saddles his first ever runner over fences at Leopardstown and could be a winning debut for the Irish trainer from Cloughjordan, Co. Tipperary.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January F2.55 Bendant 1pt Win 11/2 BetVictor There's not too many of these with any sort of form on going as heavy as this but the selection has two 2nds in the book when racing on ground with the word "heavy" in the description. It's now upped in trip and will be staying on whilst many of its rivals will have cried off. Paddy Brennan is great in the saddle for these real slog fests and the horse is still unexposed and potentially on a decent mark. There's been a little bit of money around for it and I can see it seeing out this war of attrition well off a low weight.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 2.10 Sedgefield: Oniz Tiptoes 1pt (5/1 BetVic) Cant wait all day to see if Sedggy goes ahead so will post this one anyway. 3m3f is just what the doctor ordered for this horse, stays all day and runs well at this track, was running on last time at Wetherby but couldnt reach the leaders over a slightly shorter trip. This race is weaker and Peter Buchanan is back in the saddle who won on him here over C/D earlier this month. Only 3lbs higher now and wont mind the ground being dead either after the frost. Not many of these will be running on at the end but the selection will for sure and is an EW bet to nothing for those who bet that way, i fancy him today and will go for win bonus! Res in case Sedgefield off 1.15 Ffos Las: One Term 1pt (13/8 bet365) Rebecca Curtis has her horses running extremely well and this novice was outclassed last time behind Berbatos at Cheltenham, before that had finished second to Ballyrock on his debut over hurdles and that was a good effort considering the yard wasnt firing at the time. Had won his bumper from Jimbill who is a good horse and beat Knock A Hand before that so should be up to winning an average novice race at Ffos Las. Has only Charm School to beat and that one was beaten last time when fancied and maybe overrated on what he has actually achieved so far.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January Thousand Stars 2.30 Leopardstown EW 8/1 Skybet I've been listening to rain all night in Dublin so conditions will definitely be testing at Leopardstown this afternoon. I've never opposed Hurricane Fly and I'll still be cheering him on today but given the prices and the likely conditions I'll plump for Thousand Stars. I think Townend will ride him much more agressively than the last day as we know he stays and can handle soft conditions. He has to reverse form with Unaccompanied but if he makes it much more of a stamina test them he could be difficult to peg back. I doubt Ruby would be overly hard on HF if he has to peg back Thousand Stars in the last few furlongs. Going each way as I find it hard to see him out of the front two.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 3:05 Leopardstown: Texas Jack 1pt win 14/1 Ladbrokes It might be worth giving Texas Jack another chance as prior to his poor run last time he looked to be on a sharp upward curve. Texas Jack picked up a couple of bumpers before making a pleasing debut over hurdles to beat Make A Track comfortably in November. Texas Jack was then sent off favourite at Navan late in November and failed to fire. Texas Jack has been off a couple of months and if in better heart, and presumably he is pretty straight to run in a Grade 2, then 14/1 looks very fair.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January Ffos las 15:25 13/2 e/w stanjames AMERICAN CRICKET this horse has the best form in the feild and is the only one with C and D . won here on only trip out . the ground is an issue but the horse seems to be able to handle it . fair jockey and trainer , must go well in this feild it doesnt seem that strong

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 2.55 ffos Las The top two in the weights won well last time but i think the weight on heavy ground will find them out. The money has come for tarateeno as he is now down to a mark of 90, ground and trip shouldnt be a problem for this one. However, i think there is one lurking slightly lower and thats my selection Bendant who Is running off 88. Now upped in trip which i think he needs, has been running creditably over a trip i believe is to short and i think he has his optimum conditions today with Tarateeno to beat and Al shababiya in the mix. Paddy b rides the track well which is another plus. Bendant 1pt win @ 11/2 betfred

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January Royal Chatelier - 2.55 Ffos Las I'm pretty sure that I've had this horse on here before. It's in really good form at the moment, finishing second in its last two races. It also got a third three races ago. It's found former form this year. I can't see the ground being a problem for it but it may be a problem for some in this race. The distance won't be a problem either. The problem with this horse is that it doesn't regularly get its nose infront at the post but hopefully it can today Royal Chatelier E/W @ 9/1 Stan James

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January 2.55 Ffos Las - 1pt win Western Whisky @ 40/1 (VC) Richard Lee's horse clearly has some ability, but his inability to jump over fences has cost him and his handicap mark, therefore, looks quite tempting if handling the return to hurdles. He had some decent form in novice events over the smaller obstacles and if getting home over this trip, is fairly interesting. Goes on soft ground and is worth a very small investment on the off chance that he perks up today for a yard who are 5-15 at the track.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January t3:35 Persian Gayle @ Leopardstown - Making its debut for new stable and hasn't ran since 10th October last year.Was disapointing after two wins when only finishing 8th of 10 in a Listed race at Limerick LTO.Jockey P T Enright takes the ride today and has a 22% strike rate forthe trainer of the horse John J Walsh in hurdles this season with a profit of +28.50.The trainer has a 15%strike rate in handicap hurdles and a profit of +45.50. 0.5pt E/W @ 40/1 William Hill

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January BRING ON THE JUDGE 3.25 Ffos Las. 1 point win. Has jumping issues, but no doubting his ability, and if he can put in a clear round, he should win this. The heavy ground isn't of any concerns to him and the trip's fine, so mix that with a weight that gives him chances and it's all there for him. 9/4 Betfred BOG

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January Oran Flyer 4.00 Ffos Las. 1 point win. Over from Ireland and the heavy ground could be the deciding factor today. We go on heavy ground and get in off an attractive looking mark of 94, and if we can run to near ability, then we should be tough to beat. Can be inconsistent, but not brought all this way for a trot around and so worthy of a bet. 6/1 Bet365 (bog)

Re: BBOTD Sunday 29th of January

14:45 Sedgefield Sundown Trail Win (2,50) PaddyPower The 7 year old have improved his form lately and might be able to continue his good form. He got two runs at this track, whit one win to his name. The distance seems to suit him well. He got a decent speed and his grade history gets him the vote. The ground are expected to be soft. That should not be a problem for Sundown Trail. He previous showen some decent form, on a slightly slow going. Sundown Trail recent form. 1-4-5-1-3 The jockey Costello are booked for the 4th time in a row. He had a decent jump season, winning 14 % of his hurdle runs.
Ffos Las 16:00 Normally Win (3,25) William Hill Won over course and distance at his latest run. Only got one chase race to his name, but are still a favorite. He previous won on soft ground, but its a bit more slow today. Jamie Moore are booked for the 2nd time in a row. Too late??