** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup

• 1 month later...

Re: Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup I've backed Negus de Beaumont. I've had £6 at 170 on Betfair a couple of week's ago and a more chunky bet today each way at 66/1. He's Ferdy Murphy's only entry in the race and Ferdy has won two of the last six runnings of this race. The horse won his first Chase ever in early January, last month. The last time he managed to win before this was over hurdles 5 years ago. His most recent hurdle form going back to 2007 is 1111516-. His last hurdle race was at the Cheltenham Festival, 6th to Wichita Lineman in 2007 in what is now the Albert Bartlett 3m Novice Hurdle. He runs today in the Eider Chase at Newcastle and is being well supported at 7/1, vying for position as 2nd favourite. A good run today could set him up nicely for Cheltenham. I don't know if his weight could go up for Cheltenahm with a good run today? Perhaps someone here knows?

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup 1.30 Cheltenham - 1pt win Ben's Folly @ 40/1 (VC) This horse is probably the last horse I should be backing in theory for this 4 mile amateur riders' race, but I think he'll run his race. He has little experience over fences - running just once over the larger obstacles, and has plenty to find on the figures, but many of these will fail to run to their marks over this new trip, whilst I think Tim Vaughan's charge is a bit better than a 127-rated animal. He racked up a hat-trick over hurdles in the summer of 2010 before being off the track for just over a year. Naturally his comeback run was simply getting him back in the action, and would come on plenty for it. He did indeed, as he bounced back from that moderate display to win off a mark of 120 in the mud at Ffos Las - showing off his stamina. He ran a cracker on his chase debut next time at Newbury in a decent race. He was put straight into handicap company and jumped well on his first try over fences. This bodes well here, and he stayed on dourly in 2nd. The front two were well clear and he was shortened up late on in the race which cost him a little bit of ground. He gave 10lbs to the winner, who scooted up next time, so the mark of my selection probably is worthy of a few lbs more. There was 19l back to anything else at Newbury. Instead of building on this, Vaughan sent him back over hurdles in February for a Pertemps Handicap Hurdle at Haydock. It was a competitive heat, and Ben's Folly was pulled-up. This run came at a time when the yard were struggling badly (1-75 in January/February). I will forgive him this run, and returning back to a staying chase will suit him. The better ground looks likely to help as well. He stays strongly and jumps pretty soundly based on his Newbury effort, and the yard are in better form now. They've had a couple of winners in March, and quite a few home in 2nd, so I'd expect a better showing from his horses now. Our Island is also in the race, but has a more inexperienced rider, so perhaps they expect my selection to do the best of their two runners. It's obviously a big punt, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go well at a price.

Re: Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup 1.30 Cheltenham Tea for three, 8th in last years Neptune hurdle here at the festival can make it a winning start to the day in the 4m National Hunt chase. Rebecca Curtis has doen well with the horse this year wining twice at Chepstow. Between those 2 runs, they took it to Kempton on Boxing day to take on Grand Crus, it was pulled up and that day possibly told the trainer exactly what the horse would be targeted for at the festival, It has been touted around and isnt a massive price but will go well round here and i have no doubt it will get the extra mile round here having finished well at Chepstow up the hill in very testing conditions. It's 2nd place behind Join together at cheltenham earlier this season is decent form with Restless harry in 3rd place. 1pt win @ 7/1 >Hills

Re: Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup Universal Soldier 2pts @ 14/1 (>Boyles, >Betvictor) Had a couple of points on Charlie Longsdon’s runner in this one Universal Soldier. I saw him win at Towcester in a 3m chase back in January where he was over 50L ahead of 2nd and although he didnt beat that much he did it in rather convincing style. That was his last race before coming to Cheltenham so he should be fresh and i think he could certainly get close today if he doesnt show signs of inexperience and copes with the big competitive field. I shouldnt think the 4m trip will be too much issue, he looks like a decent stayer and had no problem with the undulating course at Towcester which could prove beneficial given the Cheltenham track. Wont mind the better ground, having pulled up on his only start in heavier stuff. Interestingly only his 2nd run for Longsdon today and looks to have a much better chance than his stablemate Strongbows Legend. Not really one for trends etc but the record of this race looks to be one that generally produces decent priced winners with very few favourites coming out on top.

Re: Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup 1.30 Cheltenham - 3pts win Soll @ 15/2 (BlueSQ) This horse doesn't really have the profile that you might like in this race, as he remains inexperienced, but he has looked a natural chaser in two starts to date, and a stamina test will suit him down to the ground you feel. A point winner, this horse stayed on dourly to extend to a 10l success over the gruelling 3 mile trip at Newcastle on bottomless ground, and was only going further clear at the finish. That was after a break as well, so he seems to have plenty of stamina in the locker, and he's shown that as well since trying fences. Was off the track for a while, again, prior to his chasing debut, and he was nailed close home by a 135-rated animal who probably just had a little bit too much speed for him. Soll is an out-and-out galloper and that's why I think today is made for him. He's a big horse, who jumps well, and keeps on going for pressure. This was seen last time out over 2m4f at Dromore. He jumped well in front, but there were a couple of rivals in behind him who looked to be dangerous for a time, but he kept on rolling under pressure, to score in the end by 4 1/2l. The trip was insufficient, even on heavy ground, and the runner-up wasn't disgraced in 9th of 20 yesterday in the novice handicap chase here. He does have to prove himself on better ground today, but it should just about guarantee his stamina will last home. I don't think there's much between the two Willie Mullins-trained horses in this race, and I prefer this one even if Allee Garde may be a slight favourite out of the two. There's only 3lbs between them on ratings, and Katy Walsh is by no means a bad rider in the context of this race. She is 3-12 at Cheltenham and should get a lovely spin round on this animal, who I think can bowl along and fend off his rivals. There looks to be pace in the race, so it may pay not to get too involved, so a sit just off the leaders may be ideal here. He has a habit of doing this - despite taking over the running early on last time - and he has a massive race in him if Walsh gets it right.

Re: Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup Four Commanders for me... Is related to Kicking King, step up in trip should suit, Nina Carberry booked to ride, ticks a lot of boxes. And the Irish are due a good day.

Re: Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup I'm on Alfie Spinner EW, think the form behind Invictus looks pretty good and hoping for a good run. Gold cup winning jockey and in this field might count for something. Thanks and GL to all today.

Re: Wed: 1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup

1.30 Cheltenham Tea for three, 8th in last years Neptune hurdle here at the festival can make it a winning start to the day in the 4m National Hunt chase. Rebecca Curtis has doen well with the horse this year wining twice at Chepstow. Between those 2 runs, they took it to Kempton on Boxing day to take on Grand Crus, it was pulled up and that day possibly told the trainer exactly what the horse would be targeted for at the festival, It has been touted around and isnt a massive price but will go well round here and i have no doubt it will get the extra mile round here having finished well at Chepstow up the hill in very testing conditions. It's 2nd place behind Join together at cheltenham earlier this season is decent form with Restless harry in 3rd place. 1pt win @ 7/1 >Hills
Well done mate!!