Sportsbetting A - Z ~ questions, corrections, suggestions and additions

I have just decided i'm going to write a series of articles covering all aspects of sportsbetting A to Z, front to back. That's actually quite a big subject (note to self: what on earth are you starting here :lol) So hopefully you guys are willing to chip in where possible. First as an ongoing request please post whatever articles on the net you think i should read as reference material. I'm not looking to copy but write my own text, at the same time no point in re-inventing the wheel is there. Second please state what you feel should be covered. I'll maintain an index of subjects in this top post. So if you see a certain subject not yet covered in the index give a nudge to add it. More importantly if you feel like doing a bit of writing yourself do let me know, two heads are better than one. ( and i tend to go on a bit so need some people to counteract that :tongue2 ) Where am i now, well this post is it :lol Index 1. :unsure

Re: Sportsbetting A - Z (work in progress) Very amusing and good idea! :clap It will ceratinly take a lot of time and effort, but I suppose at the end it will be nice to see the results. It seems each betting portal has its own collection of betting terminology, richer or poorer, with short or detailed explanation - so why should not PL have its own! I agree it's not about copying, but you simply must first reffer to these existing glossaries, in order to identify reliable Index - as you said, it's not reinventing of the wheel, so why should you be compiling list of terms worth including, when there is already plenty of such a lists; then it's up to you and other contributors to write adequate definition of each term. I don't promise, but in accordance with my spare time, I am willing to write some of the definitions/examples after Index has been established. GL with this, and don't lose patience - this will certainly be time-consuming, but once finished, I think it deserves a link at PL home page! :ok

Re: Sportsbetting A - Z (work in progress) That's the spirit. Yeah, probably will be a long haul, i'm also in a situation where i'll need to find time inbetween "work" and betting. No matter, we'll get there. I wasn't thinking of a glossary as such, more of an explanaition but i see where you're going with this. Ok, i'll concentrate on a text explaining things like you would find it in a book but only cover the basics with short explanaitions. For each subject we can have specific articles that can be written by anyone and my "Guide" can reference each article for more details on said subject. Time to roam the net.....

Re: Sportsbetting A - Z (work in progress) Would it be an idea to include pitfalls that a newbie or inexperienced punter can easily fall into?:unsure There is a new thread suggesting martingale or the equivalent of at least once a month and I know that during my first few months I was guilty of the same thought processes. This is obviously just one of the many dangers a punter can fall into. Another would be getting too excited at the prospects of a system in development and not properly researching the longterm viability before throwing in your hard earned readies. Done that before.:$

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Sportsbetting A - Z (work in progress)

15 days and 2 replies.... forget it.
Doh, completely forgot it... :\
Would it be an idea to include pitfalls that a newbie or inexperienced punter can easily fall into?:unsure There is a new thread suggesting martingale or the equivalent of at least once a month and I know that during my first few months I was guilty of the same thought processes. This is obviously just one of the many dangers a punter can fall into. Another would be getting too excited at the prospects of a system in development and not properly researching the longterm viability before throwing in your hard earned readies. Done that before.:$
Well, this what you say is more about explaining the pros/cons of strategies, while DP wanted to explain things; for example, this "A-Z" would tell you what Martingale means in terms of bets and stakes, while your idea is to explain is it worth or no, which is quite subjective attitude - I'm afraid there are people who would tell Martingale is quite a decent and noteworthy system...

• 1 year later...

Re: Sportsbetting A - Z (work in progress)

Yeah' date=' probably will be a long haul[/quote'] Awwwwww, indeed; much longer than I expected! :wall Anyway, spreadsheet with this idea has been patiently living on my desktop for two years, and it's high time to air it. As Datapunter said above, there's no point in reinventing the wheel - I found a hundreds of sites with some type of, more or less detailed, glossary of betting terms; so I decided to create a "PuntersLounge-specific" one. You know, when you read some definition in those glossaries I mentioned, you have just theoretical information what does that word/phrase mean; however, all those terms have been discussed on this forum a hundreds of times, so I decided to link glossary terms with appropriate forum threads, where they're available, so to offer reader more information from various points of view. Also, I included links to Wikipedia pages, as they are in some cases very useful and contain detailed explanations and useful graphs. Additionally, I created two simple Excel calculators especially for this glossary; first is inspired by thread http://forum.punterslounge.com/f21/yankee-bet-116710/ ; in the meantime, I have added calculations for all remaining bets, from 3 folds to 8 folds. I know there are a lot of these calculators all over the web; however, I haven't seen any that offers simple comparison of 4 types of bets: full covers with and without singles, singles and accumulator, so I hope it will find its use. I tested it about 100 times using a couple of online calculators, and it worked correctly, so I hope I haven't missed any flaw there. Except, of course, it doesn't include bookie's bonuses sometimes available on Lucky 15, Lucky 31, etc., when only 1 bet is won or lost, etc.; but those bonuses seemed to be inconsistent by different bookies, so I couldn't incorporate it at this point. Second, I noticed several threads on this forum asking how to calculate Double Chance or DNB odds based on 1X2 odds; that calculation is pretty simple, so I created one for that purpose. Of course, glossary includes only footbal betting terms, I have never dived murky waters of horse racing; and also of course, it is far from being completed, but I thought it has grown enough to publish it here (and on my site, in the same format, too), and let others contribute what I missed and correct what I mistaked; including quite possible grammar / spelling errors! :ok

Re: Sportsbetting A - Z (work in progress) Blimey, see what happens when you got some spare time :clap ( which implies i haven't had any in 2 years :cry) very nice Froment, have a cigar. Suggest we sticky a thread with just the A - Z itself (and a little intro), and then keep this thread for questions, corrections, or suggestions for additions.