** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Non-league antepost > Ryman Prem 2011/12

Lewes 9/2
Lowestoft Town 11/2
Bury Town 13/2
Carshalton Athletic 7/1
Kingstonian 7/1
Concord Rangers 12/1
Harrow Borough 12/1
Billericay Town 14/1
Leatherhead 16/1
AFC Hornchurch 20/1
Canvey Island 20/1
Metropolitan Police 20/1
Wealdstone 20/1
East Thurrock 25/1
Cray Wanderers 33/1
Hendon 40/1
Aveley 50/1
Margate 50/1
Tooting & Mitcham United 50/1
Wingate & Finchley 50/1
Hastings United 66/1
Horsham 66/1
Prices from Corals EW 1/4 1-2-3 For updated prices: http://odds-comparison.bestbetting.com/football/england/ryman-premier-division/winner/

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Evo-Stik Ryman Prem 2011/12 Margate's price has been cut from 50s to 25s at Corals. The big price has been highlighted on the Isthmian league forum, where there are one or two gambling types. It's a reasonable shout, too. Chris Kinnear is putting together a very decent squad and has cleared out many of last season's underperformers. I don't think they'll win it but they are a very credible EW play.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Evo-Stik Ryman Prem 2011/12 A couple more moves: Wealdstone are in to 16s from 20s, a move which is entirely fitting for a squad that looks very decent in most areas and has the permanent presence of Richard Jolly this season. Lewes have also been trimmed, from 9/2 to 7/2. I'm not unhappy with that, as my title fancy has been eased. Though Lewes are putting together a decent squad, the don't deserve to be this tight in the betting: a poor price just got a bit worse.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Evo-Stik Ryman Prem 2011/12 For a brief moment last week, Lowestoft Town were eased to 6/1 by Coral when the Lewes price was cut, but they are back in to 9/2 now, leaving Bet365 offering 11/2 as best. That's not a bad price, I think, given how much the compilers are on top of their game these days. I went with them last season, and they gave it a good run, succumbing in part to a lack of strikers after the turn of the year and a few tentative displays at home. They will remain, I think, a tricky side to beat - the spine is strong, despite the loss of Curtis Haynes-Brown. The squad looks more coherent than the one that started last season and in Lubo Guentchev they've a little gem. Chris Henderson is a good signing from Bury Town, and brings something a little more progressive to the side, and whether Erkan Okay signs or not, they've a squad that is year more experienced at this level, and undoubtedly they should be clear favourites. Lewes have drawn much attention since Steve King returned. He's undoubtedly a successful manager at this level, but he has a rebuilding job to do - the experiment with youth has not been wholly abandoned, but he's brought in some more experience. Much has been made of his portfolio of strikers, though Paul Booth is no longer in his pomp and I'd worry about the goals-to-games ratio that they will deliver. They'll play decent stuff and see off some weaker sides, but they are rank bad value - at 10s I'd be sniffing. Carshalton Athletic are a side who have been buying heavily this summer, as Paul Dipre - owner-cum-manager - attempts to make his mark on the section. Paul Vines, Laurent Hamici and Dean MacDonald are all cracking signings, and if Steve King were running the show they'd be a great shout for the title. As things stand, I'm just not sure they'll glide seamlessly to the end of the season. Still, 14s is a big EW price about a side that has much quality. Some of last seasons close things - AFC Hornchurch, Kingstonian and Bury Town - have left me with question marks. Hornchurch are taking a step backwards and start no stronger; Bury still look competitive but not quite there; Kingstonian have a good defence and midfield, but need to find the right blend up front - Bobby Traynor needs a partner who can take the pressure off. Of these three sides, they'll do the best I think, and Jack McCleod could be a real star for them, although they are not there yet. Canvey Island and Concord Rangers look set for good seasons - either could emerge from the pack to challenge, and I suspect it's Canvey who look best equipped for a long campaign. Newcomers Leatherhead and Wingate & Finchley should also go well - a preseason that started for both clubs in Spain underlines a certain ambition. I suspect, though, that it'll be a season bedding in at this level, though in Leon Smith W&F have a striker who will be close to topping the scoring charts. (Bet365's 66/1 about them is a very sporting EW play). For me, the best of the new sides is Met Police. Jim Cooper is an excellent wheeler-dealer who gets the best out of his sides, and Orlando Jeffrey is a good signing to help stabilise a sometimes suspect defence. 33/1 is decent EW price, though it's not for me. Margate have been bringing in some excellent talent - a good mixture of the rugged and the talented. Under Chris Kinnear they have a real sense of direction, and although the fluff has gone out of the initial shows of 50s after it was picked up by keen punters on the Isthmian League forum, there is much to be said for the 22s at Bet365 as an EW play. Wealdstone - a best of 16s at Coral - can also expect some progress. Gordon Bartlett has seen this side through a number of transitions, and they struggled last season until Richard Jolly came in on loan. He's there permanently now, and if they keep him fit they should go very well indeed. It's how they fair without him that makes me concerned. After Lowestoft, who I see as at least half a street ahead of everyone else at this stage, it gets pretty messy, but I'll take a stab at top five of Lowestoft, Canvey Island, Margate, Lewes and Carshalton Athletic.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Ryman Prem 2011/12 I have watched Lowestoft quite a lot and believe they have a good chance this season. They will be stronger at the start this time as they were building and changing things about all of last season. As long as they get of to a flyer and dont struggle to score early they have the power to dominate the league. Defensive wise they will be solid again and I dont think the loss of Curtis Haynes-Brown will make much difference as they have Greg Crane and Sam Gaughran who played together last season at centre back in many games. Full backs are very strong in Andrew Cave-Brown and Adam Smith. The midfield may have the addition of George Wilson from Norwich City and the return of Richard Woodrow from injury and a loan spell. Add to the Adam Fisk, Dale Cockrill, Joe Francis, Jamie Godbold, Scott Mitchell and Chris Henderson they have potential goal threats all round. Up front they lost Matt Nolan before the start and he was in and out, Micheal Frew broke his leg and Lubo only signed at the end of the campaign. They also have Adrian Forbes and Russell Stock to call on. The ressies have been disbanded as a high enough standard is not available locally so they have one squad of first teamers maybe some on the fringe will play on loan for Ridgeons or Rymans North. At the recent AGM they reported a loss of £1,600 due to late payment of prize money so they appear to be staying with-in budget, so no apparent financial constraints. I was on last season at 12's and have bet again at 5's

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Ryman Prem 2011/12

I have watched Lowestoft quite a lot and believe they have a good chance this season. They will be stronger at the start this time as they were building and changing things about all of last season. As long as they get of to a flyer and dont struggle to score early they have the power to dominate the league. Defensive wise they will be solid again and I dont think the loss of Curtis Haynes-Brown will make much difference as they have Greg Crane and Sam Gaughran who played together last season at centre back in many games. Full backs are very strong in Andrew Cave-Brown and Adam Smith. The midfield may have the addition of George Wilson from Norwich City and the return of Richard Woodrow from injury and a loan spell. Add to the Adam Fisk, Dale Cockrill, Joe Francis, Jamie Godbold, Scott Mitchell and Chris Henderson they have potential goal threats all round. Up front they lost Matt Nolan before the start and he was in and out, Micheal Frew broke his leg and Lubo only signed at the end of the campaign. They also have Adrian Forbes and Russell Stock to call on. The ressies have been disbanded as a high enough standard is not available locally so they have one squad of first teamers maybe some on the fringe will play on loan for Ridgeons or Rymans North. At the recent AGM they reported a loss of £1,600 due to late payment of prize money so they appear to be staying with-in budget, so no apparent financial constraints. I was on last season at 12's and have bet again at 5's
Excellent first post, paulg. I agree strongly about Lowestoft - they're due a better run with injuries and given a fair wind I can't see anyone catching them. They are demonstrably the strongest squad in the section, I believe. Lewes are something of an unknown quantity, and are likely to remain so until the squad beds in. I saw them last night at Hampton, where they were sublime for 25 minutes, dominating midfield and creating decent chances against a woeful Hampton side. But it was interesting that the three goals they scored were an oggie, a deflected daisy-cutter of a shot and a direct free-kick. At the back they seemed a long way from being a proper unit. One on one, they looked capable against Hampton's lightweights, but when under pressure as a side they looked off the pace. Can't read too much into a pre-season friendly, but Lewes looked exactly were I expected them to be: a talented set of individuals who need some time on the pitch together. I look forward to your contributions this season in what is the best place to discuss non-league betting matters.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Ryman Prem 2011/12 Just to add further weight behind Lowestoft I too am a big fan. Like paulg I was on them last season e/w and they just let me down but hopefully they can make full amends this season. I have also nibbled on Wealdstone due to the Jolly factor. If he stays fit he should score plenty and that should see them go close and I think at the price there is enough value to have a small play. Theres no need for me to add anything else as Ships has covered it all.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Ryman Prem 2011/12 I would also add if any of the bookies price up Rymans North take a look at Leiston who were easily the best team in Ridgeons and could do a Lowestoft at win it first time out. They have taken Nathan Stone from Needham Market and he proved last year he can score at least 20 + goals. They have Stuart Boardley ex Torquay and will have the means to strengthen. I do not fancy Needham, along with Stone they have lost midfielder Craig Parker who scored 30 + and keeper Danny Gay. They do though have a good manager so he may have plans in place.

I would also add if any of the bookies price up Rymans North take a look at Leiston who were easily the best team in Ridgeons and could do a Lowestoft at win it first time out. They have taken Nathan Stone from Needham Market and he proved last year he can score at least 20 + goals. They have Stuart Boardley ex Torquay and will have the means to strengthen. I do not fancy Needham, along with Stone they have lost midfielder Craig Parker who scored 30 + and keeper Danny Gay. They do though have a good manager so he may have plans in place.
I'm hoping Skybet will price them up, although they are already a week later than last season. Ryman 1 North looks to be hugely competitive. I think Leiston and Needham Market will be high up the list. Hasn't Danny Gay jumped ship to AFC Sudbury? There's a tidy side being built there. I have a couple of strong fancies, which I'll keep under my hat until the prices are out.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Ryman Prem 2011/12 Don't know if they eventually do relegation markets for these league ships, and even if they do I doubt it will be a good price, but Hastings must be on borrowed time now, the main sponsor has withdrawn so the budget has been totally slashed with no-one to replace them, friendly results have been poor, they lost the other night with a near full side 1-0 against another local side Westfield who are a county club, they even lost main midfielder Sam Adams who has left after 6 years to joint County League neighbours Rye United because he could get better wages! Assistant manager has also left after illness and I don't think he has been replaced. I know they were relying on the gate receipts from a recent friendly against an Arsenal XI to keep them going and they had a decent crowd of 2300 but its not sustainable. One to oppose this season I would imagine if you can get any value on their opposition..

Don't know if they eventually do relegation markets for these league ships' date=' and even if they do I doubt it will be a good price, but Hastings must be on borrowed time now, the main sponsor has withdrawn so the budget has been totally slashed with no-one to replace them, friendly results have been poor, they lost the other night with a near full side 1-0 against another local side Westfield who are a county club, they even lost main midfielder Sam Adams who has left after 6 years to joint County League neighbours Rye United because he could get better wages! Assistant manager has also left after illness and I don't think he has been replaced. I know they were relying on the gate receipts from a recent friendly against an Arsenal XI to keep them going and they had a decent crowd of 2300 but its not sustainable. One to oppose this season I would imagine if you can get any value on their opposition..[/quote'] Agreed, HastGill. Indeed, there are a couple of other Ryman Prem sides starting the season in no sort of shape whatsoever.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Evo-Stik Ryman Prem 2011/12 A good friend of mine is a Lowestoft Town follower, and has assured me that this season they are considerably stronger all round. He is quietly confident that they can go one better than last season.

I would also add if any of the bookies price up Rymans North take a look at Leiston who were easily the best team in Ridgeons and could do a Lowestoft at win it first time out. They have taken Nathan Stone from Needham Market and he proved last year he can score at least 20 + goals. They have Stuart Boardley ex Torquay and will have the means to strengthen. I do not fancy Needham, along with Stone they have lost midfielder Craig Parker who scored 30 + and keeper Danny Gay. They do though have a good manager so he may have plans in place.
Skybet have some numbers out: Leiston are at 8s, with Needham Market 9/2 favourites. My own picks would be Harlow Town and AFC Sudbury at 8s, with perhaps Sudbury having an edge. Maldon & Tiptree at 16s are a credible EW play. In the South, I'm a touch surprised to see Whitehawk at 5/4, ahead of 5/2 Bognor Regis Town. Maidstone United are better value than both those at 10/1 but better still are Dulwich Hamlet at 16s and Walton & Hersham at 16s.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > Ryman Prem 2011/12 To fill out the details a bit more, AFC Sudbury are building a decent squad, with Danny Gay, Chris Sullivan and James Baker all coming in. The squad is quite small but there's quality throughout and I expect Nicky Smith's side will go very well. It's a coin toss between them and Harlow Town, who look pretty focused under Danny Chapman, but I'll plump for Sudbury. The EW pick is Maldon & Tiptree, who have done well to bring in Joe Sweeney, Neil Cousins, Billy Burgess and James Lawson, and once Ollie Berquez is fit they'll have an excellent starting XI. This will be, though, a thoroughly competitive section, and Grays Athletic at 10s will interest plenty of people, but I'll stick with AFC Sudbury to win and Maldon & Tiptree EW. In the South, Whitehawk look strong, but no stronger than last season, and they are not a great price. Bognor Regis Town should go very well - nailed on for a top 5 spot, and they should perhaps be favourites. For me, Maidstone United are building a good squad under Jay Saunders and he's pulled in some experience from the lads he played with at Margate - 10s is a better price than I make it. Dulwich Hamlet, after last season's late run, will go close, but with a summer to run at it, Chuck Martini and Steve Darlington have assembled a good squad - 16s is an excellent EW play. They would be my tip for the top.

Skybet have some numbers out: Leiston are at 8s, with Needham Market 9/2 favourites. My own picks would be Harlow Town and AFC Sudbury at 8s, with perhaps Sudbury having an edge. Maldon & Tiptree at 16s are a credible EW play. Tuesday result Lowestoft 7 Needham 0 A one sided affair that showed Lowestoft are much better prepared at this stage than they were last year. Needham were full strength with lots, maybe too many, changes from last year. I would not touch them this year. Leiston still appeal to me.