** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Rugby Union: Test Matches

New Zealand -64.5 @ 2.10 centrebet Though NZ are resting their Crusader players for this game, it gives some of the fringe players an opportunity to impress and like them to do well here. They should be able to move the ball against the slower Fijian forwards, setting it up for their very quick backs to run through them. The Kiwis have smashed them by at least 50 points in their last 4 meetings, with a 91-0 result last time out. Hard to see the Fijians making a game of it here.

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches Australia -10.5 @ 2.03 centrebet Australia -16.5 @ 3.05 centrebet After being smashed by the Samoans last week, the Wallabies have got their players back and should field pretty much their best XV here. Pocock should do well at the breakdown while Genia and Cooper should be able to also cretae some holes for their backs. The Springboks are missing over 20 of their best players, and though the players that are in all have plenty of Super XV experience, they are up against a formidable side who's pride is hurt and will be looking to make up for last weeks loss with a return to form win. Should do it pretty comfortably.

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches Tri Nations: New Zealand v South Africa New Zealand -18.5 @ 1.901 Pinnacle I should have posted yesterday: NZ were -17.0 @ 10/11 on Bet365. Anyway i still think you've got value for the Kiwi's to beat the bok's quite well. Boks beaten well by wallabies last week and they've got a few more casualties this week including Heinrich Brussow (is he ever not injured since 09?), Philip VDM and quality back Gio Aplon. After having lost by 19 last week, they'll want to bounce back but i don't think pride will save them from a walloping against a fresh, strong All Black side. De Villiers isint even bothering with distracting the media with his outlandish statements before this game. He's got 21+ players missing and 'no locks left' by his own admission. The AB's have a very strong squad with no major injury concerns to contend with. Many fringe and returning players got a game last week and the first teamers will return to starting line up for this one, including Crusaders Carter and SBW (in his home test debut). Some absentees in Mealamu, Read, Thorn and Franks, but I expect them to go hammer and tongs at the boks for the whole game in a statement of intent, and I don't expect anything less than big score. Can see the boks maybe grabbing a try or two max but I can't see them holding the AB's out by more than 20. :hope Edit: AB's released the team sheet today with a near full strength side: M Muliaina; C Jane, C Smith, M Nonu, Z Guildford; D Carter, J Cowan; W Crockett, A Hore, B Franks; S Whitelock, A Williams; J Kaino, R McCaw (capt), A Thomson. Replacements: C Flynn, J Afoa, J Hoeata, L Messam, P Weepu, C Slade, SB Williams. Springboks will hope Steyn gets his groove back, would like to see how Lambie fares at 10 at some stage... P Lambie; B Basson, A Jacobs, J de Jongh, L Mvovo; M Steyn, R Pienaar; D Greyling, J Smit (capt), W Kruge; G Mostert, A Hargreaves; D Stegmann, J Deysel, D Rossouw. Replacements: C Ralepelle, CJ van der Linde, R Kankowski, A Johnson, C McLeod, W Olivier, O Ndungane. Kiwi's out to -20 for evens now

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches New Zealand -23.5 @ 2.03 centrebet All Blacks should be much better here after the runout with Fiji and they have Carter coming back, which gives them even more creativity. They should not have too many problems here as SA are playing without their main players and with further injuries to their side from last weeks game against Australia, the margin should end up being much more than the 19 points SA lost to Australia to, as the AB will not let the SA back into the game as the Wallabies did (late in the match)

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches New Zealand win by 1-12 margin @ 2.80 centrebet These two sides should give us another great game as they tend to do, with both sides loking to use the edges they have to win this game. Expect the AB's to target the Wallabies scrum, while the Wallabies will targt their lineout. In the backs, plenty of ability and class there, and while the ball should be thrown out there, you also have a fact that defensively both are very good. One area the Wallabiers have a big edge is at half back where Genia is much much better than Cowan, in his decision-making and organisation, and expect him to cause the AB's plenty of problems. However as they often do, they somehow make one mistake that often ends up costing them, and believe that the AB's will do enough to edge this one.

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches Scotland v Ireland Points total under 40 @ Evens I'm only knowledgeable on the Irish side but i'm taking the above. Ireland fielding an untested front three with Flannery (hopefully) back playing a full match for the first time in ages but Court and especially Buckley haven't had much Test experience this season. Apart from Cullen I don't have a lot of faith in this set of forwards pushing the Scots off the ball at home. On paper the backs would give most teams a lot of bother but Kearney is just back, Fitzgerald is still trying to find his best form and Trimble needs to have a good match to boost WC prospects. The half backs are formidable but O'Learys rusty too, so I don't think Ireland will set the world alight tomorrow. On the Scots, Robinson has fielded a side not far off full strength. Their intensity will have to be up there as this is one of only two warm up matches. Should be a good battle in the lineout. Jackson at 10, Morrison returning for after a long lay off, Paterson playing full back, they have experience all over the park. Scotland don't score many tries and Ireland are cold and probably rusty. I don't see a try fest on the cards and i'm taking the unders. I would reccommend taking a Scotland win at 10/11 but that would be a conflict of interest for me!

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches Three more warm up matches this weekend: Wales v England France v Ireland South Africa v Australia I'll be posting regarding the latter two fixtures, will hopefully have previews for tonight. Edit: The SA Aussie game is of course not just a warm up for WC, its a Tri Nations game. More on that later.

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches International Match France v Ireland Ireland play away to France in Bordeaux this Saturday. Eight changes make the Irish look more formidable with a stronger pack and a better looking back row, who will all need to be on their respective games to match Harinordoquy, Dusatoir and the young and promising Lakafia. This is the French’ first run out in the warm up games, and Lievremont has fielded a mix of new-ish blood and veterans. Trinh Duc and the always capable Yachvili form the axis between a strong set of backs (Clerc, Mermoz, Traille, Palisson) and the aforementioned back row. My feeling for this match is a France win, but I don’t think they’ll be running over Ireland here. A Scotland loss in March 2010 left a stone in the Irish’ shoe for quite some time, and Kidney will be fully aware of this. The Irish will be strong in the collision areas and build on the great defence work from last week, but I feel the French need this more and you never know when they’re going to pull the lapin out of the chapeau, so to speak. Still, for me, not by 11. Ireland +11.0 @10/11 Bet365 Tri Nations South Africa v Australia I reckon this will be a good game. The Boks are very much a wounded animal, but they’re also a completely different one this week. Thirteen changes bring the first 15’s total caps to 810. Importantly, all their big attacking guns are back, including the mercurial Fourie du Preez at scrum half. He hasn’t played for a long time but the mere presence of returning stars including Habana, Matfield, Brussow etc will stir the team to match some of their performances from four years ago. The reason I said it should be a cracker is because Deans has brought a lot of his first choice players too. With the Reds 9/10 combo any team will be lifted to a level above and with pace out wide they’ll be ready to attack any minute. I am not as familiar with the Aussie pack as I am the rest of the team, but they have a debutant in Higginbotham at 8, and the only other change is at lock where Nathan Sharpe returns to hopefully get through an eighty minute test. Though it is far from certain, I am taking the Bok’s to win. Australia will be playing at a huge tempo as I think Deans names his squad in week, so they’ll be playing like its their last. But like I alluded to earlier, I think the Boks are due a performance, and I think it’ll be the forwards who take this one by the scruff. We all know they won’t beat the All Blacks, so this is their chance. South Africa to win by 1-12 @ 9/5 Bet365 May also look at the number of tries market if it surfaces. Wales host England this weekend too, but I won’t be betting on that one. Too close for me to call but I’m swinging towards the dreaded chariot to continue its winning streak.

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches More matches coming up this weekend; the warm up's for RWC are: Japan v USA Ireland v France Wales v Argentina Scotland v Italy And in the Tri Nations: South Africa v New Zealand The handicaps for the available matches are tight but most of these matches will be decided by which front liners will be rested for their respective teams. I'd wait til the teams are announced before I put my thoughts out here. Early musings are that the boks might be value with a + handicap. They let me down last week but the AB's will travel without many of their stars. IMO de Villiers will have to play his best 22 and they will have to perform.

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches Thanks very much Snodser!:ok Yes, i'm in agreement with your call for Ireland to win tomorrow. France change 13 players from this one, seven for Ireland. The French have the Clermont axis with a slightly less formidable pack than last week. Rougerie returns and with Medard, Heymans etc back hoping to haunt the Irish once again. They will be strong, especially dangerous in the first half. The Irish should be well up for this one. In my opinion our best 10 will be playing, and as long as he gets the platform from the forwards (which will include out strongest front row and a return for Paul O'Connell and Heaslip) he will hope to bring out the best in his Leinster centre partnership. Looking forward to seeing Felix Jones in action at fullback. I think Ireland owe it to themselves to get the French monkey off their back and a win is overdue. The pressure is on and knowing Ireland, I won't be surprised if it's a slow start for the home side. Still, they need only look back a few months ago to the 6N and the European trophy for proof of their resolve. Ireland -3.0 @ 10/11 Bet365 Italy play Scotland away tomorrow and I took them early in the week at +9. Both teams won recently with the Scot's putting in a brave performance at Murrayfield to get a lucky victory against Ireland. Italy managed to hold off Japan but Mallett won't have been happy with the concession of so many points, despite the fact it was an experimental side. Both coaches have changed a lot of players for this one and it's both teams' last match prior to the big one. Italy lost the same fixture ealier in the year by thirteen but Italy performed poorly against the Scots because of their exertions the week before beating France. It was the same scenario earlier in the tournament after they nearly beat Ireland. Masi is in tomorrow and Orquera will want the 10 shirt so will hopefully perform with more imagination than his opposite number. That bet of Italy +9 @10/11 is still available at a number of books. I won't post long on the Argentina Wales match but I think Wales are far too short at around 2/7. I've layed them on Betfair and will exchange in play. The Pumas are an unknown quantity to me at the moment, but I don't think it will be that easy for the Welsh at all. :hope

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches Ireland v England world cup warmup Croke park 2:30pm It might only be a warmup but a huge game for both teams.Ireland seem to always perform when England come to Dublin and beat England by 20 points in march.O'Driscoll and O'Brien have small knocks and rested but otherwise a very strong irish side with the likes of Bowe,Wallace and Ferris all making starts.England have named a new centre pairing of Tuilagi and Tindall and gone for Wilkinson ahead of Flood. The only way England could win today is if Ireland underperform as player for player there's no contest.I'd expect the irish to step up today and produce a big performance and also Keith Earls to have huge game. I'd be very surprised if England keep it to within 7. Ireland -6 @2/1 Paddy Power

• 2 months later...

Re: Rugby Union: Test Matches Barbarians v Australia The WC winning coaching duo of Henry and Hansen join forces to coach the invitational Baa Baa's in Australia's opening NH tour. Deans squad has a different look to it. There a plenty of absences from their last game against Wales in the 3rd place match. Beale, Cooper, Elsom, Vickerman and other long term injuries along with Burgess to Toulouse. Plenty of players looking to stake claims for future caps in Turner, Horne (getting over unlucky sequence of injuries), Robinson and Cowan. No top level rugby running in Australia this time of year so they'll be coming off a little cold, but will probably throw the ball around a bit like the opposition, especially with the new 10-12 combination. Barbarians have a team of over 1000 caps between them, with a lot of them coming from old war horses Stringer, Matfield ©, Habana, Bergamasco and Mortlock. It's a SH dominated squad with plenty of AB's in the mix. They've handed a start to the excellent England League wing Tomkins and i'm sure he'll have a go, though hopefully not at the breakdown. Cipriani will hope to impress and steer the ship being coached by the ex and current AB's coaches. Always a lottery with these games but given that plenty of the NH invitational players have been playing regularly since the world cup at a high level, I think they'll be just as competitive as a strong but experimental Wallabies outfit. As always, the Barbarians have nothing to lose and with Henry & Hansen surely on a coaching high, they'll look for the team to play the right way and rack up some tries. Barbarians +5 @ 10/11 Barbarians @ 9/5