** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships

I've gone with Batley -16 v York tonight. 1.9 Bet365 (that was yesterday, don't know current price). Firstly the negatives, there's a possibility that York are showing improved form at the moment, they've signed a couple of players recently. But look a bit deeper and their two recent wins were against an out of form Dewsbury and the poor Toulouse, fair play to York for winning those games but they aren't anything to go overboard about. The positives, Batley had last weekend off, York lost by 24 points at Barrow last Saturday. Batley's pitch has a notorious slope and they play it very well, they've beaten Dewsbury by 28, Hunslet by 26 and Widnes by 20, the other match was a 12 point loss to the decent Sheffield side. Batley will see this game as a chance to advance their claims for a play-off spot, it's a must win as they do come up short against the better teams in this division.

Re: Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships I've just checked the prices - most firm's are now -18 points on the handicap for Batley. That's less of a cushion and obviously knocks my confidence, if playing take the -18, but cover your stake on the draw at 17.0 - then you've almost reproduced the -16 bet, you are getting 1.85 about the -18, and whilst you don't win if Batley win by 18 you don't lose either.

Re: Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships

That's less of a cushion and obviously knocks my confidence
what do you mean by that? if you've already taken the -16 then you are in a better position?

Re: Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships I also fancy Batley to cover the handicap and have taken -18 at 10/11 with Betfred. As you say, Batley will be fresher since they had last weekend off. They also welcome back Sean Hesketh at prop. York appear to be ringing the changes but seemingly without much conviction: http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkcityknights/9037949.Knights_must_stick_together___says_York_boss/ What clinches the bet for me is that York's talisman Chris Thorman is supposedly playing at loose forward. He probably should not be playing at all with his groin problem. According to the report, Thorman will definitely not be on kicking duty.

what do you mean by that? if you've already taken the -16 then you are in a better position?
Sorry I wasn't clear in what I said. It doesn't knock my confidence in my bet, it knocked my confidence in tipping it to others on here at the revised -18. My follow up post suggesting a revised strategy was my way around this.

Re: Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships -18 Wigan at injury ravaged and out of form Bradford looks a snip. The can beat them by 30 if they are up for it. My only nagging doubt is the fear that Wigan might not be totally ruthless with the game being televised on terrestial telly - a 36 point drubbing wouldn't look good for the game, perhaps not a logical fear, but it's there in the back of my mind.

Re: Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships Good shouts on Batley last night lads :ok I'm not confident enough on measuring the gaps in quality between Championship and SL sides so a small bet in one of the all-SL ties for me tonight Luke Dorn (HAR) First Tryscorer - Leeds v Harlequins @ 19 (Betfred) 0.25/5 Luke Dorn (HAR) Last Tryscorer - Leeds v Harlequins @ 19 (Betfred) 0.25/5 Luke Dorn is back in the Harlequins squad for tonight's game and has been an effective weapon for Quins scoring 4 tries in 7 away from the Stoop this season (excluding the Magic Weekend). First Away Tryscorer to St Helens, Last Away Tryscorer to Wakefield and he collected both First & Last Away payouts when Quins failed to score more than the once against Warrington. Leeds have conceded 1st in 4 of their 7 at home this season and the last try in 3 so there's every chance a Quins player could collect either tonight - 18/1 looks big for a player with Dorn's strike rate. GL all :hope :ok

Re: Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships Wigan -18 looks the pick of the round on the face of it. Bradfords last home game saw them lose 14-58 to Warrington. The 2 following games saw them concede another boat load of points. Wigan have already beaten the Bulls on their own patch 10-44. They werent even cooking on gas on that occasion in my opinion. They are looking n formidable at the now. I just cant see Bulls staying with Wigan. The television factor is a concern especially if you take the Leeds Crusaders game from the last round into account.

Re: Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships Well Dorn got on the scoresheet but wasn't first or last - should have taken the 2.63 anytime with hindsight. A few for me today Wakefield to beat Castleford - Half Time Result @ 2.3 (Sportingbet) 1/5 Decent HT record for Wakey at home recently, 3 leads out of their last 4 and they've only conceded 26 points in those 4 x 40 minutes. Cas' in poor form and been behind at HT in their last 2, 2.3 seems fair for a Wakey half time lead. Tommy Lee (WAK) to score anytime @ 4.5 (Skybet) 0.33/5 Josh Griffin (WAK) to score anytime @ 2.5 (Bluesq) 0.67/5 I've a little feeling Wakey may cause a bit of an upset here so they could be on the scoresheet a touch more than normal. Josh Griffin has scored in half of Wakey's homes this season out on the wing while Tommy Lee is in the halves and has got on the scoresheet a couple of times - 4.5 seems a touch big for an anytime. GL all :hope :ok

Re: Rugby League: Challenge Cup R5 and Cooperative Championships Don't fancy the Hcp in the Bradford Wigan game, going to have a little go on Andy Lynch to score anytime, he regularly pops up around the line and is a hard man to stop. Andy Lynch anytime scorer 7/2 @ Skybet

Wakefield to beat Castleford - Half Time Result @ 2.3 (Sportingbet) 1/5 :) Tommy Lee (WAK) to score anytime @ 4.5 (Skybet) 0.33/5 :) Josh Griffin (WAK) to score anytime @ 2.5 (Bluesq) 0.67/5 :(
Good day yesterday, a few more for me today Huddersfield (-6) to beat Catalans - Half Time Handicap @ 2.0 (Various) 2/5 A tough game to call but Catalans are slightly behind the HT handicapper compared to Huddersfield this season - 6-1-7 record vs. the Giants' 9-0-5. Hudds' have also been in front at HT in 6 out of their 7 homes this season - a 6-8 deficit to Wigan the only blot on the formbook - so appears a question of whether they're ahead by more than the 1 try; they've put 92 points on their last 2 opponents at the Galpharm. Evens on them being ahead by more than 6 at Half Time looks a decent bet to me. Wigan (-18) to beat Bradford @ 1.91 (Various) 2/5 Thomas Leuluai to score anytime - Bradford vs. Wigan @ 2.5 (Betfred) 1/5 Can't disagree with anything that's already been said on Wigan. They've only lost once in SL against the handicapper away from the DW - the 22-22 Draw vs. Leeds when giving away a 4 start. You'd have to fancy them to take this one as well. Tommy Leuluai has scored 4 times away from home this season and usually gets the full 80, 2.5 against a struggling side seems a touch of value. GL all :hope :ok