Maths help - Possibly using Binomial

Hi all, just need some help with my analysis. I'm focusing on 2-2 draws using english league 1 and league 2. If i estimate that the chance of a 2-2 draw occurring in either of these leagues is equal to 5% (20.0). how can i calculate that during any given weekend (of 24 matches) at least 3 will end 2-2 - and also what are the chances of the nth game (say 10th for example) being a 2-2 draw! I've done basic binomial and discrete probability stuff for A level but that was a LONG time ago now. Any experts out there care to help? (I'm aware there are websites that can produce the answer - i'm just trying to understand how they come to it) :ok

Re: Maths help - Possibly using Binomial Assuming the matches are independent (i.e. one ending in a 2-2 draw does not increase or decrease the chances of another ending in a 2-2- draw), then the probability of having exactly k matches ending in a 2-2 draw are given by: P(k) = p^k * (1-p)^(n-k) * n! / [(n-k)! * k!] where: n = total number of matches k = exact number of 2-2 draws p = chance of a 2-2 draw and n! = n * (n-1) * (n-2) * ... * 2 * 1 So if you wanted exactly 3 out of 24 matches ending in 2-2 the probability would be: P(k=3) = 0.05^3 * 0.95^21 * 24! / (21! * 3!) = 0.0862 = 8.62% In excel this is given by "=BINOMDIST(3;24;0.05;0)" If you wanted at least 3 matches, it's the same as subtracting the chance of having less than 3 matches (i.e. at most 2) from 100%. This is given in Excel using: "=100% - BINOMDIST(2;24;0.05;1)" which is equal to 11.6%. Hope this helps :ok

Re: Maths help - Possibly using Binomial

Thanks Rushian' date=' I ran the date through http://stattrek.com/Tables/Binomial.aspx and it showed me 11.6% chance - or at least i think it did. Where have i got confused there??
My fault. "1-BINOMDIST(3;24;0.05;1)" gives you the probability of more than 3 (i.e. 4 or more). You wanted the probability of "3 or more" which means that the right formula is: "=1-BINOMDIST(2;24;0.05;1)" which is 11.6%. This agrees with your webpage. I'll amend my previous post accordingly so that there is no future confusion.

Re: Maths help - Possibly using Binomial I think PL should start two new forums.... "Sophisticated System & Strategies" for people who conribute to threads like this, and...... "Systems & Strategies for Ejits".... like me :loon