How much to play Jacks in cash poker?

erhaab1965

In a live 50p/£1 cash poker game i'll probably raise between £5 and £8 possibly a little more if there are a few limpers. I'll call probably up to around £20 if fully stacked. What should i take into account in low level cash online poker? I normally play between $0.05 /0.10 and $0.10/0.20 .When raising i normally raise 3 or 4 times the big blind ,which works for me. The problem i have is what is the maximum be i should call with jacks? In $0.05/0.10 should i be calling a 30 times the big blind raise with Jacks? At $3.00 it it is still ridiculously cheap even though it is 30 bigs.(considering i'd call £20 live) Would making these calls at this level be bad for long term play ?

Re: How much to play Jacks in cash poker? If we're deep then i wouldn't get JJ in pre-flop. I think what you're looking for is a definitive guide on how to play JJ. All i can say is pay attention to your opponents - against some it will be an insta all-in pre flop against others you have to play post flop and trap them or pot control. Just pay attention.

Re: How much to play Jacks in cash poker? Got jacks in cash game last night.50p/£1 I'm playing £127 most others £80 - £210. Seat 1 50p Seat 2 £1 Seat 3 Straddle £2 Seat 4 Straddle £4 Seat 5(me) Straddle £8 ( re straddling been regular feature tonight) Seat 6 Pass Seat 7 Call £8 Seat 8 Pass Seat 9 Pass Seat 10(button) Raise to £24 (i interpertate this as a button steal ) All passed to me i go all in £127 with Jacks All passed to Button who calls and has me covered. Board 237 Q A He shows A9 , takes the pot. As played preflop , i think i would do the same most of the time. Do you think i should flat call the £24 then bang it on the 7 high flop ? or check fold if an A or K flops ?

Re: How much to play Jacks in cash poker?

Got jacks in cash game last night.50p/£1 I'm playing £127 most others £80 - £210. Seat 1 50p Seat 2 £1 Seat 3 Straddle £2 Seat 4 Straddle £4 Seat 5(me) Straddle £8 ( re straddling been regular feature tonight) Seat 6 Pass Seat 7 Call £8 Seat 8 Pass Seat 9 Pass Seat 10(button) Raise to £24 (i interpertate this as a button steal ) All passed to me i go all in £127 with Jacks All passed to Button who calls and has me covered. Board 237 Q A He shows A9 , takes the pot. As played preflop , i think i would do the same most of the time. Do you think i should flat call the £24 then bang it on the 7 high flop ? or check fold if an A or K flops ?
In theory you have done the right thing you have the money in ahead and got unlucky.

Got jacks in cash game last night.50p/£1 I'm playing £127 most others £80 - £210. Seat 1 50p Seat 2 £1 Seat 3 Straddle £2 Seat 4 Straddle £4 Seat 5(me) Straddle £8 ( re straddling been regular feature tonight) Seat 6 Pass Seat 7 Call £8 Seat 8 Pass Seat 9 Pass Seat 10(button) Raise to £24 (i interpertate this as a button steal ) All passed to me i go all in £127 with Jacks All passed to Button who calls and has me covered. Board 237 Q A He shows A9 , takes the pot. As played preflop , i think i would do the same most of the time. Do you think i should flat call the £24 then bang it on the 7 high flop ? or check fold if an A or K flops ?
You made the right play in going in pre-flop. Seriously this is a 50/1 game where stacks are max 200 deep and people are standard straddling for total £15 pre flop? That sounds like the most aggressive game on earth ;)

• 3 months later...

You made the right play in going in pre-flop. Seriously this is a 50/1 game where stacks are max 200 deep and people are standard straddling for total £15 pre flop? That sounds like the most aggressive game on earth ;)
Agree with this. With the straddles it's the equivalent of 5/10 so you're basically playing 12BBS deep. Unless the initial raiser is someone super nitty or someone that's super bluffy but would fold to a shove then shoving is the right play. Calling and hoping for a low flop sucks cause if it comes like KQ and the A9 guy bets, you end up folding the best hand.