** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

BFR Racing Thread -77.14pts

Bathtime For Rupert

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: BFR Racing Thread +15.88pts 3.55 Doncaster - 1.5pts e/w Classical Mist @ SP Ran well in two bumpers last winter/spring. They weren't anything special but ran quite well on hurdling debut last time. Was keen but travelled well and jumped okay (room for improvement) and improved from the back of the field to look a big threat rounding the home turn - travelled up second best in the race (winner rated 127) - but soon felt the pinch and weakened quickly to be well beat in the end. Will come on for the run seen as it was its first run for a year, hurdling debut, and on soft ground. If it settles better tomorrow it could run well at a decent price. O'Regan a good jockey booking too. Might find a couple too good but I'd be surprised if it didn't improve for the run at Musselburgh.

Re: BFR Racing Thread +15.88pts Couldn't get on earlier unfortunately to post this afternoon's selections. Classical Mist didn't pick up, but was given a strange sort of ride by O'Regan who didn't put the horse in the race. Never mind. Wolverhampton...no time for reasoning I'm afraid: 7.15 - 1.5pts e/w Our Kes @ 6/1 (StanJames) 7.45 - 1.5pts win Veroon @ 7/2 (VC) 8.15 - 1pt e/w Crazy Bold @ 13/2 (Corals)

Re: BFR Racing Thread +15.88pts Couldn't get on earlier unfortunately to post this afternoon's selections. Classical Mist didn't pick up, but was given a strange sort of ride by O'Regan who didn't put the horse in the race. Never mind. Wolverhampton...no time for reasoning I'm afraid: 7.15 - 1.5pts e/w Our Kes @ 6/1 (StanJames) 7.45 - 1.5pts win Veroon @ 7/2 (VC) 8.15 - 1pt e/w Crazy Bold @ 13/2 (Corals)

Re: BFR Racing Thread +6.38pts Was out all day yesterday so no bets. Sedgefield: 2.20 - 3pts win Malin Bay @ 13/8 (VC) Looks like this may be a two horse race, and it could be time for Malin Bay to break his duck. Has shown ability on all starts and conditions look ideal here. Ran its best race over this trip at Perth - its only attempt at it in which it has finished (UR latest). Ran a highly promising race on its return to the racecourse at Newcastle over an insufficient trip, so shouldn't be a concern over its form/wellbeing despite not completing at Ayr. Eighteen Carat has improved, but threw in a shocker behind Malin Bay at Perth, and may have to settle for a place under a penalty. 2.50 - 2pts win Lightening Rod @ 2/1 (VC) Again I think this race may focus around 2 horses. Catch Bob has run well on both chase attempts lately, and the step back in trip may suit, but Lightening Rod was running a highly promising race on its chase debut at Newcastle last time out, when falling at the last. Would have gone close and the 2nd, Sir Tantallus Hawk has franked the form with a win and a close 2nd behind Film Festival since. Showed consistency over hurdles (rated 126 - 11lbs higher than Catch Bob), and on early evidence, can make it as a chaser. 3.20 - 1pt e/w Rebel Swing @ 8/1 (VC) Rebel Swing craves mammoth trips such as todays 27f, and everything looks prepped for a good run - and should be seeing its race out better than most. Run well last twice over 3m, and showed a good level of form when beaten 10 lengths by Captain Americo over this trip at Kelso. Both the first two in that race have run very well over fences recently and it looked a decent race (better than the one it contests today). Sure to run his race and at 8/1 looks a very fair e/w bet. Huntingdon: 2.40 - 1pt e/w Loch Ba @ 7/1 (Ladbrokes) This looks a fairly weak race, and worse than the first two starts over hurdles Loch Ba has made. Backed up a promising bumper run with a solid start to hurdling, in what now looks a pretty decent race at Bangor in December. Beaten 18 1/2 lengths by Backspin - obviously a useful sort before its untimely death - and each of the first 3 horses have won since, and the 4th has further franked the form with a couple of solid placed efforts. Last time out Loch Ba didn't really progress and was beaten 23l by Bottman. However, it unseated its rider on the way down and got loose. Happy to give him another chance, and back on better ground is likely to suit too.

Re: BFR Racing Thread +6.38pts Another big dollop of bad luck. No excuses, though, for Malin Bay or Loch Ba - just not good enough. Should have had a winner with Lightening Rod but Greenall didn't seem to realise there was a horse out in front. Was content to track the market rival even with as little as 3 to jump before finally deciding to go in vain pursuit of the winner. Really poor ride and a more alert ride would have seen victory. And Rebel Swing was brought down just to add more misery. -9pts Sedgefield 3.50 - 1pt win Teenando @ 11/2 (Bet365) Hoping to get some compensation with another Sue Smith runner - this time experienced chaser Teenando. Had plummeted down the weights to a career low mark of 73. Showed signs of a revival last time over c&d running 3rd behing Euro American. Was 4 lengths behind Panthers Run. Not much better off at the weights but that horse has only won 2 races in 54 runs so worth taking on. Looks reasonably well handicapped and with question marks over virtually the whole field, worth a go.

Re: BFR Racing Thread -3.62pts Lingfield: 2.10 - 1pt win Lastkingofscotland @ 7/1 (VC) It's been 2 years since Chjimes won off a mark this high so I'd be tempted to swerve the Conor Dore trained horse here. It looks poorly weighted in comparison to Lastkingofscotland. I would be much happier backing Northern Dare over 5f (2/25 over 6, 4/17 over 5). Frequency has been running in poor races lately and needs things to drop right. This looks tougher and worth taking on at the price. I'm therefore going for Lastkingofscotland. Like the others, has his doubts - 6f being 1f too short of his optimum in my opinion. Showed he is capable over 6f in the past, though. 24125435181 show an impressive run of form really at Lingfield so likely to go better against Frequency than it did at Kempton last time. Dropped 2lbs and its form ahead of The Happy Hammer (1st and 2nd beaten a nose since) and Mister Green (twice winner since). Northern Dare is likely to set a decent pace so hopefully Lastkingofscotland can pick up down the straight to take this. 4.25 - 2pts win The Which Doctor @ 6/4 (PaddyPower) This claimer looks a two horse race at the weights, and despite Majuro showing strong form at this level, he hasn't competed in as good a races as The Which Doctor lately, and is worth taking on. The Which Doctor goes well at Lingfield, with form figures 114207 (but only beaten 5l combined in its latest two seemingly poor runs). Seems to be better in smaller fields (each of its 3 wins coming in fields of 10 or fewer). First run in a claimer and can outclass these hopefully.

Re: BFR Racing Thread -3.62pts 3.25 Ffos Las - 3pts win Shake The Barley @ 5/2 (Boyles) Pretty good handicap form last year and will have needed its latest run. Looks a poor race and replication of its runs off a similar mark will be enough here. Dropped 3lbs from last time out. Fine on the ground, at the trip and hopefully retains all its ability here to take the race for the in-form Tom George yard who have had 6 winners and 3 places already in March from 18 runners.

Re: BFR Racing Thread -1.62pts Afraid matters out of my hands have meant I'm on later than hoped so no reasoning I'm afraid. Big prices today: Southwell... 2.10 - 0.75pts e/w Lucky Mellor @ 9/1 (Corals) 4.10 - 2pts win Accamelia @ 5/1 (Corals) Exeter... 2.30 - 0.5pts e/w Verde Goodwood @ 40/1 (VC) 3.00 - 0.75pts e/w She's On The Case @ 12/1 (VC) 3.30 - 1.5pts win Vamizi @ 7/1 (Boyles)

Re: BFR Racing Thread -1.62pts Absolute nightmare recently. Typically the horses I bet on late in the day on Tuesday won, rather than the ones I posted here. No winning bets. Vamizi was so close in the Devon national. Looked like the winner 2 out. Just got run down. Free Tussy was 3rd in a blanket earlier today. Really fancied Arizona High tonight but was 2nd. Grr. Will bounce back I'm sure. Just a couple of bad days. -24.5pts New Bank: 73.88pts (-26.12pts)

Re: BFR Racing Thread -1.62pts 3.15 Carlisle - 2pts win Chapolimoss @ SP I backed this horse not long ago on its chasing debut over further (3m2f) at Catterick. Never really progressed as a hurdler, though was rated 107, and I fancy it is going to make a much better chaser. I was thoroughly impressed with this horse's jumping for a chasing debutant. It jumped beautifully and was making steady headway going strongly to chase the leaders having been given a patient early ride. After measuring the first 10 fences superbly, it just crashed through the top of the 11th, and an awkward twist in the air gave James Reveley no chance of staying on. It was unfortunate as it was punished for its only error. It was Reveley's only ride that day and looked set to play a part in the finish. The two horses that did fight it out were clear - and they were Wolf Moon and Pennek. The former is 125 rated over hurdles and 121 over fences, with Pennek 135 and 113 respectively. No mugs. Chapolimoss will probably want further but 20f should suffice for now and with Lord Villez and Mister Marker looking exposed, as well as Indian Groom unproven at the trip, it's worth siding with the Martin Todhunter trained runner. I expect Indian Groom to be tough to beat if staying, though. 2.50 Folkestone - 2pts win Neil Harvey @ SP Nick Gifford persisted with this one after some promising hurdle runs, only beaten by 2 very useful sorts in Zemsky and Aachen. After over 2 years off the track, and on its chasing debut, it ran a satisfactory race, behind two decent novice chasers in Fredo and Cool Mission (beaten 12l and 6l respectively). The latter has since gone close behind very nice type Beshabar (rated 138...149 over hurdles). Should come on nicely for that run, and assuming there's no bounce factor (given a month off), can go very well here. Spear Thistle looks to be a big danger, but Neil Harvey's form looks very solid, and if building on it, is the one to beat. 4.30 Folkestone - 2pts win Behind The Scenes @ SP Trappy little staying chase here, with Portrait Royale boasting c&d form. The one that interests me most, however, is Behind The Scenes. If returning in the same vein of form as it was last in last summer, it would have a huge chance here. Showed a consistent level of form in 2010 with three seconds and another big run when falling. A mark of 87 looks very fair. Went close fresh at this track over 21f last year so hopefully this can be repeated today, only getting its nose in front. Hasn't won a race yet but today could be the day, in a field where the combined win-to-run ratio is 14-175.

Re: BFR Racing Thread -1.62pts Chapolimoss was withdrawn due to the ground. Probably wise. Will have to keep an eye out for its next run. Neil Harvey won well despite the ground being a touch on the quick side. Behind The Scenes couldn't go with the winner and finished 2nd. Probably needed the run. Points spent: 4pts Return: 6.5pts New Bank: 76.38pts (-23.62pts)

Re: BFR Racing Thread -1.62pts Shame Ponchatrain couldn't make it 3 out of 3. Willandrich jumped and travelled excellently. Had to be driven right out but won well enough. Double The Trouble jumped and travelled easily the best, found plenty when asked and won by a wide margin. Staked: 7pts Return: 14.42pts (+7.42pts) New Bank: 83.80pts (-16.20pts) Next bets Wolverhampton shortly.

Re: BFR Racing Thread -1.62pts Total staked: 9pts Kyladdie won well with the blinkers on to sharpen him up. Alfraamsey picked up well in the straight to grind it out on the outside. Pelham Crescent stayed on but couldn't get near the first two. I thought Dubara Reef needed the run last time but clearly just out of form...dropped out again. Hallstatt looked in a good position to kick off a slow pace but despite grinding out a finish, just couldn't go with a surprise winner and got nodded for 2nd. Total returned: 22.19pts (+13.19pts) New Bank: 96.99pts (-3.01pts)

Re: BFR Racing Thread -1.62pts

Total staked: 9pts Kyladdie won well with the blinkers on to sharpen him up. Alfraamsey picked up well in the straight to grind it out on the outside. Pelham Crescent stayed on but couldn't get near the first two. I thought Dubara Reef needed the run last time but clearly just out of form...dropped out again. Hallstatt looked in a good position to kick off a slow pace but despite grinding out a finish, just couldn't go with a surprise winner and got nodded for 2nd. Total returned: 22.19pts (+13.19pts) New Bank: 96.99pts (-3.01pts)
Still plenty of days left for you to get in the profit, well done on your turn around:ok

Re: BFR Racing Thread -3.01pts 2.10 Wolverhampton - 3pts win Spirit Of Sharjah @ 5/1 (Bet365) Spirit Of Sharjah has been revitalised and boasts excellent form on the all-weather, recording form figures of 24111 on the polytrack. Never raced at Wolverhampton but has recorded victories at Lingfield and Kempton so hopefully this shouldn't be much of a problem from a decent draw. Angels Pursuit looks a threat, but a 3lb swing may not be enough to reverse Kempton form where Spirit Of Sharjah won nicely by a length (beating Angels Pursuit 2l), having been dropped out from a wide draw. Showed an impressive turn of foot in the straight having been last turning in, dashing for the inside rail to soon put his head in front in only a matter of strides. Dunelight could go well fresh, but if competing for the lead with Duff, this could play into the hands of the closers - of which Spirit Of Sharjah is one. Both of those front runners have wide draws to contend with, too. So long as the absence since December doesn't halt the horses form, can return to the track, and the winners enclosure here. I just hope the slightly slower track doesn't nullify this horses turn of foot. 3.00 Sandown - 1.5pts e/w Ronaldo Des Mottes @ 20/1 (Bet365) This horse carries top weight but can still run a massive race here. Proven in big handicap fields when clear 2nd with Get Me Out Of Here in the ToteSport Trophy at Newbury last year. That run was off 142 and the winner went on to run a blinder in the Supreme Novice, and the 3rd horse (a further 6l back) was Manyriverstocross who this year has boosted the form with a 5 1/4l defeat to Menorah at Cheltenham in November. Only 7lbs higher than that run, Ronaldo Des Mottes certainly doesn't look too firmly handicapped, and has been up against it on its two runs since. Was outclassed behind Hurricane Fly in a Grade 1 at Punchestown in April and ran a satisfactory race behind Mille Chief at Warwick. It made a bad error there but still travelled up with a chance before 2 out. It can be forgiven as needing that race - was beaten 41l on its seasonal return in 09 before winning its next race. David Pipe's yard are going okay, if not spectacular, and I think this horse has a massive chance at a great e/w price under its big weight. 3.00 Sandown - 1pt e/w Drill Sergeant @ 20/1 (Bet365) My other e/w fancy in the race is Drill Sergeant. Henry Brooke takes 7lbs off and the blinkers will hopefully prevent any suggestion of this horse pulling itself up, as it has tried to do before. The return to good ground and this trip will suit imo - figures of 121 over hurdles on good ground (only defeat to Kilcrea Kim who has won a Grade 3 since). Its run last time out was decent under the circumstances, and the galloping track should suit. Others: 1.55 Sandown - 1pt e/w Captain Kirkton @ 12/1 (Bet365) 3.20 Wolverhampton - 1pt e/w Final Drive @ 18/1 (Bet365) 4.25 Wolverhampton - 1pt e/w Little Garcon @ 9/1 (Ladbrokes)