Favourite Commentators

I have to say Mark Johnson is great, seeing he is now calling for 6 months of the year at Churchill Downs, still get shivers down my spine when I hear his call of Best Mate winning @ Cheltenham Then you have Simon Holt who is also known for coming out with some great one-liners "this one stays all day, stays longer than the mother-in-law" Stuart Machin can always be called on for interesting commentaries "McCoy has a look through his legs and likes what he sees":nana And before you say OI you aint mentioned Richard Nelson Hoiles I have to agree once he gets revved up he goes nuts Malcom "the actor" Tomlinson made a howler during a race at Newcastle by calling the wrong horse as the winner, but since that has become a good racecaller Ian Bartlett when he does ATR coverage doesnt like talking very much especially to a certain Broadcaster of the year :D In Ireland Des Scahill is still streets ahead as when its excitement time Des goes ballistic, in saying that Jerry Hannon can always be called upon to go into overdrive Any other favourites?

Re: Favourite Commentators To be honest I don't take much notice of the commentators but a couple come to mind.........generally I more associate with the ones who I 'know' from being presenters as well as commentators....... So I like Enzo, just because he seems such a nice lad I like Hunty 'cos I listen to 5live a lot and I can't think of one offhand but when I've got the sound muted on the TV and the radio on I hear Hunty's call, then later see the reply on TV and think 'blimey, Hunty knocked spots off that commentary' Generally tho'..........I can't tell one from another.........I'm not paying that attention !........I'm watching the race !

Re: Favourite Commentators

To be honest I don't take much notice of the commentators but a couple come to mind.........generally I more associate with the ones who I 'know' from being presenters as well as commentators....... So I like Enzo, just because he seems such a nice lad I like Hunty 'cos I listen to 5live a lot and I can't think of one offhand but when I've got the sound muted on the TV and the radio on I hear Hunty's call, then later see the reply on TV and think 'blimey, Hunty knocked spots off that commentary' Generally tho'..........I can't tell one from another.........I'm not paying that attention !........I'm watching the race !
Yes Tony "Enzo" Ennis is a good call Trotter:ok and former policeman John Hunt when he first started commentating he broke 2 micrphones at Yarmouth as he was shouting too much:rollin

Re: Favourite Commentators Hoiles and Holt are a cut above the others. Told by the latter that the former has a photographic memory. Only has to look at the racecard once and knows all the colours, horse's names, trainers and jockeys etc. Hoiles also knows the form book better than most so called "form expert". I like listening to him in the studio. Both miss very little, seem to see every jumping mistake or interference. Lee McKenzie is under-rated, tells you what is needed. "They're off and racing", don't mind commentators having a calling card at the start. Mike Cattermole is a jack of all trades, and mean that as a compliment. Possibly third best after the two "H"'s. Knows his racing too, always takes part in our West Berkshire Racing Club quiz, a member of the "Freelance Four".

Hoiles and Holt are a cut above the others. Told by the latter that the former has a photographic memory. Only has to look at the racecard once and knows all the colours, horse's names, trainers and jockeys etc. Hoiles also knows the form book better than most so called "form expert". I like listening to him in the studio. Both miss very little, seem to see every jumping mistake or interference. Lee McKenzie is under-rated, tells you what is needed. "They're off and racing", don't mind commentators having a calling card at the start. Mike Cattermole is a jack of all trades, and mean that as a compliment. Possibly third best after the two "H"'s. Knows his racing too, always takes part in our West Berkshire Racing Club quiz, a member of the "Freelance Four".
Good call Ginger re: Lee McKenzie & "The Cat" & I concur with your comments about the 2 "H's"

Re: Favourite Commentators Hoiles, Hunt, Holt, Johnson and Machin all very good, but one that slips under the radar is Martin Harris, doesnt make many mistakes but doesnt get any big gigs, clear and concise, good night, safe journey home.

Re: Favourite Commentators Aussie McGrath is awful, sounds drunk and he's hopeless with names. Thompson is an annoying clown, that sucking on sweets is bad enough without his CRY...SAN....DOR (even though it's ChrysandEr) type pronouncification. Agree with all the above, Dessie Scahill is my favourite, great old school type drawl, especially in an exciting finish.

Hoiles' date=' Hunt, Holt, Johnson and Machin all very good, but one that slips under the radar is Martin Harris, doesnt make many mistakes but doesnt get any big gigs, clear and concise, good night, safe journey home.[/quote'] Hi Alice Martin "Bomber" Harris as he is known used to say that after every meeting he called at but the bookmakers complained as it made punters walk out of the betting shops afaik

Dan Loiselle at Woodbine and Terry Spargo at Meydan. Two of the greatest voices in horse race commentating. There are good callers in Britain but they've all been mentioned !
great call Goldikova lets expand it futher I'll start with Graham Denman (and away they go)

Aussie McGrath is awful' date=' sounds drunk and he's hopeless with names. Thompson is an annoying clown, that sucking on sweets is bad enough without his CRY...SAN....DOR (even though it's Chrysand[b']Er) type pronouncification. Agree with all the above, Dessie Scahill is my favourite, great old school type drawl, especially in an exciting finish.
I think ol sweet sucker has been told off because @ Taunton Monday there was no of his antics, probably because he was acting like a t*t at Chepstow with his ego driven roadshow

Re: Favourite Commentators For me Mark johnson is the nuts, love his cheltenham calls gets the hairs on the back of my neck excited :) love his style. John Hunt also I really like. Oh and I know a lot of people don't like him but I really like Mike Cattermole also as a caller.

For me Mark johnson is the nuts, love his cheltenham calls gets the hairs on the back of my neck excited :) love his style. John Hunt also I really like. Oh and I know a lot of people don't like him but I really like Mike Cattermole also as a caller.
Yes Woodie MJ is one of those commentators who can tell you exactly what is going on without pictures, it just amazes me when he calls races at Aintree no wonder he never eats anything 2 hours before calling, unlike a certain Thompson who is still in the hospitality dining room