** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Nade's Brain Mush

Nade

Re: Nade's Brain Mush Something to consider is you can exploit your opponents by playing your hand perfectly for what it is, which means basically it's very hard for you to make a mistake if you know what your goal in the hand is. What i'm saying is there's two ways (for arguments sakes) to exploit people. One is knowing what your opponents range is so taking advantage of that by purely playing your opponent and not your cards. The second way is to play your hands so it's very hard for you to make a mistake. The second way is pretty much abc poker, but a lot more advanced in very subtle ways, for example the main difference is bet sizing. You control what you want from the hand by the sizes of your bets. The problem is with this method you will inevitably be un-balanced with your bet sizes. Our bet sizes need to be balanced against good regs otherwise they'll take advantage really easily. But crucially, the majority of money made isn't from other regs, it's from weak regs and fish so i think it's viable to have un-balanced bet sizing against the right opponents. The first way is a lot more complicated, it's something i've been working on over the last couple of months with mixed results. Basically you know your opponents range so your main focus is to take advantage of that. However, the problems start when your opponent either a) knows you're trying to take advantage or b) is setting you up to try and take advantage of something that doesn't exist. This is done by the use of bet-sizing miss-tells or generally knowing what their own range looks like (so they make few mistakes). So you either concentrate on your opponent, or you concentrate on yourself. Paradoxically by either concentrating on our opponent or ourself we in-turn concentrate on both. The reason is if we focus on what our opponents have we must always be considering in the back of our mind what they think of our range (so thinking what they have and what we have). The reason is if we don't consider what our perceived range is then we get taken advantage of because good opponents are considering our range. For example a nit as the pre-flop raiser on AJxJ check-raised me on the turn. He's trying to take advantage of the fact my range looked weak as i'd in theory bet 100% the turn if i was floating. The problem is i was considering HIS range and he wouldn't do that with any made hand. He'd 2 and 3barrel all big value hands here. So even though he's a nit i called the check-raise on turn and snap called the river shove with Ax vs his bluff. Crucially he negated what his percieved range was in trying to take advantage of my range, which is a fatal error against good hand readers. Back on point, if we focus on what our hand is we will also be considering our opponents range because of the simple reason we will be thinking how to extract most value or make a good bluff. So at all times whether we choose to focus on our opponent or ourselves we'll still be considering both. So this is why IMO there's two ways of exploitation in poker and i am potentially coming to the conclusion that concentrating on what our hand is and playing it accordingly is more important than concentrating on how to take advantage of our opponents known range. As we do this anyway, and a lot easier by considering our own hand/ranges first and foremost.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Nade's Brain Mush I've not in that zone to be able to continue the train of thought from the above post but here's a new hand: Villain had been pretty loose aggro, but very see-through with it in obvious spots etc. The reason i was able to make this play is because of a running theme through this thread - villain telegraphed the strength of their hand with their turn bet-size which if i'd called would have left a $100 pot and them $180 behind. They'd give me a ton of credit as we were real deep and i can credibly rep a lot of hands there. Someone could say well show all the times this has gone wrong. I haven't played with deep stacks for a long time, and not near 250BBs deep so lets take it as read, it's a great spot. PKR $100.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1167672 DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter CO: $89.50 Hero (BTN): $335.75 SB: $230.70 BB: $23.15 UTG: $113.05 MP: $40.10 Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is BTN with 7club.png 7diamond.png 3 folds, Hero raises to $3, SB raises to $10, 1 fold, Hero calls $7 Flop: ($21.00) 2diamond.png Kclub.png 3spade.png (2 players) SB bets $14.00, Hero calls $14 Turn: ($49.00) Theart.png (2 players) SB bets $26.00, Hero raises to $79, SB folds Final Pot: $101.00 Hero wins $53.00 (Rake: $3.00)