Elo rating system (my thoughts)

Re: Elo rating system (my thoughts)

ELO is just a gloryfied league table in effect, all be it a more accurate view of how teams performances are due to the weighting nature of the ratings. It would be interesting if you could run say 3 years ELO ratings through a neural net algorithm incorporating an odds algorithm to find the optimum weighting and then test on unused data. Alas that is way above my programming skills.:(
You are correct that ELO is just a ranking system and nothing more. It is nowhere close to being a betting system but... Once you are satisfied that it is an accurate ranking system you then know what a teams ability was in the past. You can then look at how that team performed and what odds were on offer. Throw some more maths at the problem and the 'magic' starts to happen. Do not get me started on Neural Networks and Genetic Programming, because I have spent soooo many hours trying to get these software models to even work let alone predict anything. I am sure there is a lot of leverage in a NN but I just can not get them to work to the point where I would be happy letting them loose on some actual data.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic