Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series

The reverse series between England and Bangladesh begins this week. England host Bangladesh in a two test match series and as always both matches are live on Sky. Not sure how many betting markets we'll get but we'll have a thread anyway. Schedule:

Thu May 27 - Mon May 31 10:00 GMT | 11:00 local 11:00 BST 1st Test - England v Bangladesh Lord's, London 28.png 7 - 16° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gifimg_weather_close.gif Forecast Mostly Cloudy Click here for 10-day-Forecast
Fri Jun 4 - Tue Jun 8 10:00 GMT | 11:00 local 11:00 BST 2nd Test - England v Bangladesh Old Trafford, Manchester
N/A

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series One series bet for me to begin with. 2pts S.Finn Top England Series Bowler 4/1 Blue Square As I wrote in my county championship preview I rate Steven Finn very highly and I think he's a cracking price to top the England wicket takers list in this series. First and foremost the two venues for this series couldn't be better for the tall paceman. The first game is at Lords which is Finn's home ground and the 2nd game is at Old Trafford which has bags of pace and bounce this season which will unsettle the Bangladesh batsmen. Finn has 29 Championship wickets to his name from his 5 matches this season so he comes into this series bang in form. Jimmy Anderson looks to be struggling for rhythm from what I've seen of him recently. Stuart Broad is being rested so Tim Bresnan may well be the other main seamer. I think Finn's pace and bounce will be too much for Bangladesh to handle, especially at Old Trafford and so at 4/1 I'll take the Middlesex youngster to top England's wicket charts in this short series.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series Have recently started spread betting so got a few bets up... 1pt Buy T.Iqbal runs @ 68 (both innings) Sporting Index Although hes slightly injured hes expected to play through the pain barrier and I think he can easily pass 68 runs over both innings. In the last series between thee two he scored with 86, 14, 85 & 52 with an average of 59.25. Although spread betting can be risky i'm confident Iqbal can get at least 70 runs over 2 innings for me to see some kind of profit. 1pt Buy K Pieterson performance points @ 94 Sporting Index Well theres not much to say about KP apart from the fact that right now hes liing on cloud 9! With a new baby son and him in most likely the best form of his career nothing can go wrong for him and i can see a solid century not to mention a couple of catches. He can also bowl and hopefully can pick up a few wickets. I THINK this market can be traded in play so if i have a chance of good profit i will sell it.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series I'd be careful on the Iqbal bet Ani, Bearing in mind how much of cricket, especially batting is concentration, I'd be reluctant to back anyone carrying a knock, nothing worse than pain to affect your concentration. I would also be wary comparing his performance on Bangladesh tracks compared to what he will face over here. The wickets will be less suited to him and the Bangladesh team and he'll face a fair bit of shot stuff I would imagine as Bangladesh have a reputation at being poor at playing it. If I had the first idea about spread betting I'd probably be all over the Pieterson bet though! Don't mean to sound negative on Iqbal, just giving my opinion! I'd hate for him to get a pair! Am I right in thinking the further from 68 he gets the more/less you win/ lose??

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series Yeh. Spread betting works like this... If I buy Iqbals runs for 1p, and he makes only 20 runs. Then i would lose (20-68) 48p. However if he made something like 130 runs over 2 innings then i would win (130-68) 62p. Thanks for the advice Perry but i have gone in quite small stakes so even if he makes a pair I wont be losing too much. Anyway i'm hoping we see a monster innings from Pieterson, hopefully England bat first and get a mammoth first day score tomorrow

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series I dont mean to be rude to anyone, but just want people to be careful while spread betting. It will make you sell your house, sooner or later. Sooner rather than later. In regard to the Iqbal bet, its a defi no no. Infact ders more chance of seeing $$$ if u sell the bet then to buy. Iqbal may just make 2 scores of 20-25 and u might see a 18 tics profit. But in any case, all the best to you. Coz it wudnt hurt me if Iqbal scored a double hundred ;) Cheers!

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series Yep spread betting is definitely risky but if you know your stuff and attack the right markets you can keep it in your favour. I do a little bit of it myself although I'd never tip it up on here because I know what I'm risking while some might not. I try and stick to markets where the best realistic positive is better than the worst negative. It's hard to explain because I'm not a big fan of match runs so I'll use performances. If I've got say Bresnan's performance at 100 for arguements sake then I'd look at it at what's the worse amount of wickets I can factor him in for. That's 2 IMO. If he can't take 2 wickets in this match he needs to go back to county cricket. What's the most well 4 an innings wouldn't be beyond him. Then over 2 innings (most likely one) I'll give him 15 runs but that could be 50+ if we bat twice so the fewest point I think he'll get is 55 while the most is 210 so on that basis I'd buy as I think the realistic best win is much better than the worst realistic loss. Hope that makes sense :lol. Good luck with it ani. As I say, if you hit the right markets it definitely pays as pie-chucker has shown in these test threads in the past.

I would also be wary comparing his performance on Bangladesh tracks compared to what he will face over here. The wickets will be less suited to him and the Bangladesh team and he'll face a fair bit of shot stuff I would imagine as Bangladesh have a reputation at being poor at playing it.
That's a massively big point and something we all need to remember when we're betting on this series. As far as I'm aware, the only Bangladesh player with previous experiences of England other than Ashraful is Mahmadullah and his is only through being on the MCC groundstaff a few years ago.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series One more outright before the series begins. 1pt J.Islam Top Bangladesh Series Batsman 12/1 Bet365 Warm up matches shouldn't be taken as gospel but we've got to stand up and look at the form of Jahurul Islam in them. He clouted Surrey for 158 in the opening match of the tour, admittedly on a good batting strip at The Oval but he also hit a half century against a very good England Lions bowling attack on a less favourable surface at Derby last week and that's clearly the best form lines coming into this match. Jahurul is spoken of as potential class out in Bangladesh and while I've not seen a huge amount of the guy what I have seen suggests he's technically fairly sound and can play some scoring shots. He has a first class average of 37 out in Bangladesh which isn't bad for a batsman out there so the guy must have some skill in him. He'll bat in the middle order for Bangladesh in this series which is perfect. Hopefully Tamim will have smacked the cover off the new ball and Jahurul can come in and fill his boots. You've got to think over the 4 innings of this series, 150 would be enough to claim this market and I think the young Jahurul can notch this amount and bring in a small bet at a ridiculous price for a potential number 4 batsman.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series 3 to begin with for this 1st test. 3pts England (-249.5 runs) 1st Inns Lead 11/10 Sportingbet Initially this looks a big total for England to cover but I don't think it is. If we take out the match against Surrey's reserves then Bangladesh so far on this tour have made scores of 231, 211, 220 and 161. If they don't improve on this scores then this doesn't look a big total. I can't see Bangladesh making too many more than 300 in these conditions which would been England would need a maximum of 550 which I think is very achievable in conditions England batsmen are used to and against a very weak bowling attack. It could be that England shell Bangladesh for less than 200 by which case we'd need 400-450. When you think Graeme Swann is down in this batting lineup to bat at number 9 then England more than have the depth to cope with scoring that many so at a tidy odds against I'll take England to lead this test at half time by 250 or more. 3pts M.Rahim's Performance Pts - 65&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Mushfiqur Rahim earned me plenty of cash through the winter and I see no reason why I need to desert him now. He's improving all the time with the bat and is totally wasted at number 7-8. He's got a 50 on tour already so he's in decent nick and with the pitch here at Lords almost guaranteeing pace, bounce and more importantly, good carry then I think Rahim could well snatch a couple of victims behind. There's also the chance that an England batsman gets overconfident against Shakib and walks past one that does something and get stumped. I'm not budgeting for it but should that happen that's over 1/3 of this total covered. However in 2 knocks I think Rahim is more than capable of scoring 65 runs so I'm happy to take the overs here. 2pts Test match to end on Days 1,2 or 3 3/1 Sportingbet As it's easy to see, I don't think Bangladesh will put up too much of a fight in this test match and even though there's a bit of rain around over the opening 3 days I do believe this test match will be done and dusted in that time. 270 is plenty of cricket to see this one over. If England bat for 130 of those overs it would mean we have 140 overs to see Bangladesh off twice - 70 overs per innings. I've plenty of faith in this England bowling attack that says that will be more than enough. This is Lords and the Bangladeshi's may well be overawed early doors which will play into England's hands. I expect England to dominate this test from the off and lay down a marker for the summer ahead of a huge winter. Unless the rain is a lot worse than is forecast then I can't see ticket holders for Sunday seeing any cricket as I think this will be over by stumps on Saturday.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series

Have recently started spread betting so got a few bets up... 1pt Buy T.Iqbal runs @ 68 (both innings) Sporting Index Although hes slightly injured hes expected to play through the pain barrier and I think he can easily pass 68 runs over both innings. In the last series between thee two he scored with 86, 14, 85 & 52 with an average of 59.25. Although spread betting can be risky i'm confident Iqbal can get at least 70 runs over 2 innings for me to see some kind of profit. 1pt Buy K Pieterson performance points @ 94 Sporting Index Well theres not much to say about KP apart from the fact that right now hes liing on cloud 9! With a new baby son and him in most likely the best form of his career nothing can go wrong for him and i can see a solid century not to mention a couple of catches. He can also bowl and hopefully can pick up a few wickets. I THINK this market can be traded in play so if i have a chance of good profit i will sell it.
Excellent call with Tamim, ani. Made up at 158 so you've got a profit guaranteed on those two. Hopefully Pietersen can contribute a bit more in this match and boost your profits :ok.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series Tea on day 4 and it's time for a maximum bet for me. 10pts England to win 1st Test 4/7 William Hill This is a must take bet because the situation at tea on day 4 says to be England should be nearer 2/7 than 4/7. At tea, Bangladesh still trail England by 34 runs with only 8 2nd innings wickets remaining thanks to Steve Finn's double hit just before tea. England go into the tea break with the momentum and having got rid of Tamim Iqbal, none of what's to come will splatter them around and put them off their lines and lengths like he was. So the bowlers will be able to settle in and threaten more with the comfort that they won't be attacked in that fashion. There's still 139 overs left in this match which is a huge amount of cricket. Even if Bangladesh were to bat out say 90 of these overs, and I don't for one minute think they will, but in a worst case scenario for England let's suggest they do, even batting 90 overs at say 3 an over would only leave England needing about 240 off 50 overs and you would make England favourites to chase that down. Instead I can see Bangladesh facing no more than 65-70 overs giving England 70-75 overs to chase down somewhere between 150-175. I make that a really good chance. The weather forecast is perfect for the rest of the day and tomorrow so this is a max bet at what is still a big price even at 4/7.

Excellent call with Tamim' date=' ani. Made up at 158 so you've got a profit guaranteed on those two. Hopefully Pietersen can contribute a bit more in this match and boost your profits :ok.[/quote'] Cheers Kev, havent worked it our properly yet but even with Pieterson only getting 18 runs i'm guaranteed profit. Followed you on the England to win bet as well with a max stake bet, so come on England!

any reason why england are offered @ 1.73 on hills? alot higher than the 4/7? edit: bet365 offering @ 1.80 now.. Im lumping on as well, max bet from me too, dont see england losing this at all
Im seriously worried... why is the odds for england going up to 1.91? Guys do u know any reason for this?

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series Ah, thanks just realised the possibility of a draw occuring :/ totally forgot the possibility of a draw, been following way too much odi hmm i guess ill have to have faith in england to deliver, not much else i can do and hope they get several wickets soon...

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series 25 overs left today. I think we need at least 2 more wickets before the close of play to be sleeping easy tonight, otherwise its going to be a nervy 96 overs for all England backers tomorrow..

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series no rain in sight until after 19.00 tomorrow accordng to the Met Office. So even the 1.43 in betfair about the England win starts to look attractive. I can see some early damage tomorrow morning after a coldish night and humid start to the day. Maybe an early back and lay England exercise and get out ahead of any white knuckle finish (though I don't see it myself). GL

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series No need for panicking. It's going fine. There's 98 overs tomorrow. It's stacks of time. We've got a new ball which is only 5 overs old so the 1st hour tomorrow is going to be hard work for the batting side. They won't get too far away from us in that time either. They have 5 wickets left, 2 of which are rank tail enders and need to realistically bat 60 overs to come close to saving the match. Anything less than 60 overs will leave the door open for England to take advantage of a weak bowling attack with our long batting lineup. Not only will they need to bat 60 overs but they'll need to take a couple of risks to score runs because it's no good batting 60 overs if they only score another 100 or so because 200 off 38 overs is nothing. I can't see them batting 60 overs tomorrow and with the weather forecast fine I can see only 1 result. In fact, I think we'll have it won by tea and at £10 to get in, I'll be going down to witness it happen too :D.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series England would have to be woeful if they don't finish this off. After reading your tip I weighed in when it was around 5/6 and was about to go in for some more when it went up to 11/8 but resisted. So without tempting fate I'm sure we will all be collecting tomorrow.

Sport Cricket
Event 1st Test England v Bangledesh
Selection Lay The Draw (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.50 (Lay)
Reasoning Agree with the concensus that England will finish the job tomorrow. It's been tougher than many expected, but result should be the obvious one. Bangledesh have looked very good in patches in this match, but have only looked poor at times and the tail looks fragile. England just got the new ball, and conditions should help in the morning. 98 overs left, even if Bangledesh can bat for 40 of them and say get 210 ahead, England should still have the time and the batting to get the required runs.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series 1st Test - Day 5 - England @ 1.42 Betfair Think it should be a pretty comfortable task for England tomorrow, they can roll over Bangladesh pretty quickly I feel after those late crucial wickets. Siddique will have to try and get himself back in, they've gave it a fight and gave themselves a chance but ultimately I can't see them keeping England out long enough.

Re: Cricket: England vs Bangladesh - Test Series The maximum bet came in with oceans of time to spare but unfortunately I couldn't get Rahim's performance in. He was a bit unlucky that he batted under heavy cloud cover both times so I'll have to think whether to take him again or not in the 2nd test. -2.3pts for the test overall but I'm looking good with Steven Finn being top England wicket taker as he is 9-5 ahead of Anderson going into Old Trafford with Bresnan on 4 wickets. Swann took 0 which was perfect because he should be able to get a couple at Old Trafford to ease the chances of Anderson filling his boots :hope.