** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Going deep

heniek31

Game on Stars. Freeroll with just one place paid (UKIPT package). Out of 4000 players, we are down to last 4 (3.30am :lol). I raise from the button and BB calls. Pete is main aggressor and BB didn't play that many hands in the last 10 minutes. I fire CB and the turn and I'm called. Do you give up this hand at this point (with 1mill still behind)? Do you fire 3rd barrel? Have you got big kahunas and push? PokerStars Game #44480570040: Tournament #274976599, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level XXXI (30000/60000) - 2010/05/23 2:53:29 WET [2010/05/22 21:53:29 ET] Table '274976599 245' 9-max Seat #6 is the button Seat 1: miffy16 (1280165 in chips) Seat 3: Bondai1970 (1524862 in chips) Seat 6: heniek31 (1655192 in chips) Seat 9: petejor (1581781 in chips) miffy16: posts the ante 6000 Bondai1970: posts the ante 6000 heniek31: posts the ante 6000 petejor: posts the ante 6000 petejor: posts small blind 30000 miffy16: posts big blind 60000 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to heniek31 [7s Ts] Bondai1970: folds heniek31: raises 120000 to 180000 paullacey199 [observer] said, "?" petejor: folds miffy16: calls 120000 *** FLOP *** [8d Js Ac] miffy16: checks heniek31: bets 180000 miffy16: calls 180000 *** TURN *** [8d Js Ac] [2d] miffy16: checks heniek31: bets 300000 miffy16: calls 300000 *** RIVER *** [8d Js Ac 2d] [4s] miffy16: checks heniek31: ???

Re: Going deep I have got big kahunas, but enough is enough, and I reckon you could get called. However, you could try a dinky "please call my Ace" 240k, and hope he just had QT and will fold. :unsure

Re: Going deep First of all, I am by no means an expert poker player, but for the sake of conversation I'll throw in my $0.02 I'm going to "go wild" here, and guess he's sitting with a KQ. You've tripled the blinds so he's obviously got something, and it seems to me like he's tired of playing so many rounds and is just desperate to hit that 10, buying the next card as cheaply as possible (check-calling). He's checked again - I'd do a raise bigger than the last, hopefully convincing him that I have an AJ. You've built a perfect scenario for that hand really - raise pre-flop, raise when you hit it, not slow-playing, but definitely not bluffing either, raising more when you spot the weak 2, and then even more when you spot the last 4. Again I'm no pro, but that was my gut feeling when I saw it all :unsure

Re: Going deep The way he plays it he has a marginal ace/ draw most of the time, AQ/AK is possible if he is passive, and AJ isn't too likely given the way he played it. Some timing tells from him could also help you gauge the strength of his hand, if you were familiar with his tendencies. What strikes me here is that the pot is almost 1.4m with effective stacks of 600k behind, if you put him all-in here he might feel pot committed and call, but since this tournament only pays out one seat, he might fold and decide to wait for a better spot. In a cash game I might fire a third barrel depending on my read (but not with these relative stack sizes), but here I would give up and save those previous chips. On a side note I generally wouldn't raise to 3x with these stack sizes because you're opening pretty loose and don't really want a big pot most of the time. Moreover, if you raised to 2.5x preflop, and bet 2.5x and 5x on the flop and turn respectively when checked to, you could shove 730k into a 1.15m pot on the river to give him a much tougher decision, and yet the shove would still look natural. I would hate to check behind in this spot because I have zero showdown equity, but I would probably still do it lol.

Re: Going deep I think you should have a really good read on him by now to be able to make the right play. With zero information to go on... If you're not 100% going to bluff 3sts then you may as well take the free card by checking behind on the turn then make a decision if you want to bluff or vbet the river. Should really make the decision early on in the hand, players who bluff 2sts and often give up are always weak.

Re: Going deep

Should really make the decision early on in the hand
This is true, but that was not was the thread was about. He gave us a specific situation.
... players who bluff 2sts and often give up are always weak.
This is not true. A tournament, and specifically the endgame in this specific type of tournament, is very different from a cash game. Folding after bluffing flop+turn can be correct depending on situation, and is probably correct play here

Re: Going deep

On a side note I generally wouldn't raise to 3x with these stack sizes because you're opening pretty loose and don't really want a big pot most of the time. Moreover, if you raised to 2.5x preflop, and bet 2.5x and 5x on the flop and turn respectively when checked to, you could shove 730k into a 1.15m pot on the river to give him a much tougher decision, and yet the shove would still look natural. I would hate to check behind in this spot because I have zero showdown equity, but I would probably still do it lol.
I agree here. Should have raised 2.5x and have a chance to fire smaller bets.
I think you should have a really good read on him by now to be able to make the right play.
And that was the problem. I couldn't for the hell of it put him on the bluff, calling me twice. Most of hands were taken pre flop and after CB on the flop. I'm just totally sure he has something. There are only two draws on that flop (910 and a gutshot) and then insignificant turn, which he calls again. As it was mentioned, probably the best way, was checking the turn and then betting the river (if checks the river). It would have given me a chance to bluff him on the river with the same amount of chips I fired on the turn. At this point I gave up. I was convinced, I was beaten :(. I still have about 980k and can make a play. He took the pot with K high (K10) :puke:$. One of those situations... Thank you very much for your replies guys :ok.