Tennis - 17-23 May

ATP Nice outright Gael Monfils to win Open de Nice Côte d’Azur 7.00 @ bet365 I don't think Verdasco is going to win this tournament because he seems to have cooled of a bit now after three good tournaments but maybe Robin Soderling can win but what I saw from Monfils in Madrid was ok and he's worth backing. He had no chance against Nadal but who can blame him.

Tennis - 17-23 May In here chaps and chapettes :ok Quiet week ahead of the French Open, with a few men heading to the Cote d'Azur for the Nice Open (a new tournament on the Tour) and eight teams taking part in the annual Arag World Team Cup in Dusseldorf. The women are playing in Warsaw and in Strasbourg, both on the clay.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May Getting excited for the French Open now! Very tempted to have a small punt on Gianni Mina to beat Kubot tomorrow. Playing in his home nation, reached final at Roland Garros at junior level, reached number 2 in junior world rankings. Kubot is on a terrible run at the moment. Will have to thnk it over.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May If it wasn't the week prior to the French, I'd be thinking about Berdych as an underdog against Almagro.....seems like a winnable match. But it's possible neither really care about this tournament. Vinci looks a big price against Alona Bondarenko aswell(6/4 in some places)....Bondarenko having a decent week last week beating Wozniacki(struggling a bit with injuries lately though) but really a patchy year for her since the Oz swing. Vinci more than comfortable on clay and reached Barcelona final a few weeks back. Probably won't touch any of them though.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May One bet for me today... Nice - Arnaud Clement vs Simon Greul Arnaud Clement at 1.91 (Canbet) First round day in Nice so small stakes are an absolute must, but I have a feeling Clement will prevail here. He'll have the backing of the home crowd here (Clement is very popular in France) and has shown better form on the clay than Greul. The German was beaten 6-1 6-1 by Juan Monaco last week and although that's no disgrace, his form has been patchy since the hard court season. Clement got to the quarters in Estoril, where he played well. He's got a tricky array of shots that infuriate lesser players - he'll mix it up and find angles that Greul won't enjoy. Being on home soil could be an sizeable advantage here - Clement plays well in France - and he'll see this as the sort of tournament where he can do quite well in. Happy to back the elder Frenchman here. Bet strength: 3/10 I also think Berdych is a big price but I'm wary of the importance either player will attribut to this tournament. Think I'll just ease myself in with one this week. Good luck :hope

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May

One bet for me today... Nice - Arnaud Clement vs Simon Greul Arnaud Clement at 1.91 (Canbet) First round day in Nice so small stakes are an absolute must, but I have a feeling Clement will prevail here. He'll have the backing of the home crowd here (Clement is very popular in France) and has shown better form on the clay than Greul. The German was beaten 6-1 6-1 by Juan Monaco last week and although that's no disgrace, his form has been patchy since the hard court season. Clement got to the quarters in Estoril, where he played well. He's got a tricky array of shots that infuriate lesser players - he'll mix it up and find angles that Greul won't enjoy. Being on home soil could be an sizeable advantage here - Clement plays well in France - and he'll see this as the sort of tournament where he can do quite well in. Happy to back the elder Frenchman here. Bet strength: 3/10 I also think Berdych is a big price but I'm wary of the importance either player will attribut to this tournament. Think I'll just ease myself in with one this week. Good luck :hope
Greul d. Clement 6-4 6-3 - LOSS - the old man just isn't as good as he used to be. Poor start to the week.

Sport Tennis
Event Young-Jun Kim v Woong-Sun Jun
Selection Kim
Strength 10/10
Date 18/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning Backing Kim because I really think his opponent is plagued by fatigue since last week in Busan where he won every match with 2-1 except last one. The value is on Kim.
Sport Tennis
Event Andreas Seppi v Sergiy Stakhovsky
Selection Seppi 2-0
Strength 10/10
Date 18/05/2010
Reasoning Backing Seppi to win in straight sets because I really think his opponent is useless on clay.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May liking baghdatis for his form as well as the two french players in france, gasquet and serra. Timea Bacsinszky also looks good for a win (although the women always are pretty sketchy). she's got a win over this other girl who's younger and not up to par it seems.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May Two for me today... Nice - Marcos Baghdatis vs Mario Ancic Marcos Baghdatis -3.5 games AH at 1.971 (Pinnacle) Think this line and the odds are pretty generous here. Ancic is living off his name here, not his current level of ability. He's never been the best on a clay court at the best of times but in his current condition, where injuries have wrecked his career, and his lack of match practice, could punish him here. Recently, the Croat has lost to Rui Machado, Ivo Minar and Daniel Koellerer, the latter on clay. Baghdatis is a far superior player to all of them. The Cypriot showed in Munich and Madrid that he's getting much better on the red brick - he should've beaten David Ferrer in Madrid last week. He's moving well and hitting the ball much better than he has been for a while. He's down 4-1 on the H2H here but those matches were played between 2006 and 2008, when Ancic was in his pomp, and on a hard court. Quite simply, Baghdatis is streets ahead of Ancic at the moment. I'm happy to back him here. Bet strength: 6/10 Nice - Andreas Seppi vs Sergiy Stakhovsky Andreas Seppi -3.5 games AH at 1.98 (Pinnacle) Think these odds are too generous on Seppi too. He beat a similar sort of clay court player in Michael Berrer in R1 on Sunday - a guy with a big serve but poor movement and lack of clay court experience. Seppi's one of these players who can put you through the ringer as a punter, but he's a class above the Ukrainian on this surface. He's got very accurate grounstrokes and will be able to move Stakhovsky around the court. The Ukrainian got a fine win over Jarkko Nieminen on this surface on Sunday but the Finn can blow hot and cold - Seppi is a more clinical, solid clay courter. Stakes should be reduced as the Italian is one of these guys who can give you a heart attack when you have money on him, but I'm happy to back him to get the job done here. Bet strength: 4/10 Also had Oleksandr Dolgopolov +3.5 games AH on my shortlist, but found too many holes in the bet to take it. Good luck :hope

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May Sport Tennis Event Marcos Baghdatis-Simon Greul Selection Simon Greul (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 19/05/2010 Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.80 (Lay) Reasoning Greul don't played so good on clay,losing matches with modest players,like Bolelli,Luczak or Hajek.Baghdatis,now on 29th place ATP,played reasonable so far on this area,losing only with strong players,like Ferrer,Cilic or Gulbis.Certainly Baghdatis is the better player here and I expect he to win tommorow.Lay on Greul. Sport Tennis Event Alexandra Dulgheru-Timea Bacsinszky Selection Timea Bacsinszky (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 19/05/2010 Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.65 (Lay) Reasoning Alexandra Dulgheru was so far a good player.She obtained important wins with strong girl from ATP,like Bondarenko,Dementieva or Safina.Timea Bacsinszky played few games on clay in 2010 and I think cannot obtain a good result tomorrow,Dulgheru playing a quality tennis,while Bacsinszky don't played so far difficult games,the exception being the game with Serena Williams,lost match in 2 sets.Lay on Bacsinszky.

liking baghdatis for his form as well as the two french players in france' date=' gasquet and serra. Timea Bacsinszky also looks good for a win (although the women always are pretty sketchy). she's got a win over this other girl who's younger and not up to par it seems.[/quote'] good start to the week. wish baghdatis had played though. maybe i'll have more faith in the women for higher stakes eventually. great from the french men. baghdatis - void gasquet - win serra - win Bacsinszky - win

Sport Tennis
Event Young-Jun Kim v Woong-Sun Jun
Selection Kim
Strength 10/10
Date 18/05/2010
Reasoning Backing Kim because I really think his opponent is plagued by fatigue since last week in Busan where he won every match with 2-1 except last one. The value is on Kim.
Sport Tennis
Event Andreas Seppi v Sergiy Stakhovsky
Selection Seppi 2-0
Strength 10/10
Date 18/05/2010
Reasoning Backing Seppi to win in straight sets because I really think his opponent is useless on clay.
The bet on the korean Kim went home but not Seppi who totally failed. Pretty dull week and I will not find many good bets on the events going on. Thinking of Lleyton Hewitt tomorrow because Hewitt is playing good and should make a good matchup for Berdych. Hewitt v Berdych over 22.5 games maybe. Will be a good in-play match.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May Mayer to win a set vs Bellucci @ 8/11(SKYBET:5/10) Looks a decent price for what should be a tough match.....form and class in Bellucci's favour but they've played 3 setters every time they've met....2-1 Bellucci leads h2h winning recently in 3 in Rome. Clay pretty slow in Nice so it could be a battle...he's had some injury troubles but came through Guez in 3 in rd 1. Has some good results at Challenger level on clay so can play on the stuff. Bellucci is having a good year but was crushed by Monaco last week in Madrid....week before a slam....I think Mayer has a shot at pushing him close here. GL!

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May going with verdasco, soderling, and monfils. clear to see why they should win and soderling and monfils are backable to win 2-0 if so inclined. there's also na li and sevastova in the wta playing against lesser players. previous matches, highest rankings and current form indicate a win but not being able to watch the womens matches at this lower level it's hard to know exactly. suggest a larger sum on the three men and a smaller on all 5 but feel free to mix and match as you see it.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May Can aynone explain the situation in Dusseldorf? I was about to put big money on Berdych h'cap but don't know how important this match is for him? Watched Lleyton and i disagree that win against Isner was a product of his good performance cause Isner played horrible. It would be interesting to see how many UE's he made.

Two for me today... Nice - Marcos Baghdatis vs Mario Ancic Marcos Baghdatis -3.5 games AH at 1.971 (Pinnacle) Think this line and the odds are pretty generous here. Ancic is living off his name here, not his current level of ability. He's never been the best on a clay court at the best of times but in his current condition, where injuries have wrecked his career, and his lack of match practice, could punish him here. Recently, the Croat has lost to Rui Machado, Ivo Minar and Daniel Koellerer, the latter on clay. Baghdatis is a far superior player to all of them. The Cypriot showed in Munich and Madrid that he's getting much better on the red brick - he should've beaten David Ferrer in Madrid last week. He's moving well and hitting the ball much better than he has been for a while. He's down 4-1 on the H2H here but those matches were played between 2006 and 2008, when Ancic was in his pomp, and on a hard court. Quite simply, Baghdatis is streets ahead of Ancic at the moment. I'm happy to back him here. Bet strength: 6/10 Nice - Andreas Seppi vs Sergiy Stakhovsky Andreas Seppi -3.5 games AH at 1.98 (Pinnacle) Think these odds are too generous on Seppi too. He beat a similar sort of clay court player in Michael Berrer in R1 on Sunday - a guy with a big serve but poor movement and lack of clay court experience. Seppi's one of these players who can put you through the ringer as a punter, but he's a class above the Ukrainian on this surface. He's got very accurate grounstrokes and will be able to move Stakhovsky around the court. The Ukrainian got a fine win over Jarkko Nieminen on this surface on Sunday but the Finn can blow hot and cold - Seppi is a more clinical, solid clay courter. Stakes should be reduced as the Italian is one of these guys who can give you a heart attack when you have money on him, but I'm happy to back him to get the job done here. Bet strength: 4/10 Also had Oleksandr Dolgopolov +3.5 games AH on my shortlist, but found too many holes in the bet to take it. Good luck :hope
Baghdatis match postponed - VOID Stakhovsky d. Seppi 7-5 6-3 - LOSS Caught Seppi on a bad day, he could barely serve. Annoyed about Baghdatis as I feel he would've taken Ancic apart. Well done to mab and yesterday's winners.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May Got to agree with mab here, feel the value lies with Soderling and Monfils today. Nice - Robin Soderling vs Olivier Rochus Under 19.5 games at 1.833 (Pinnacle) - Bet strength: 8/10 I just can't see past the Swede winning this comfortably and quickly. Rochus just isn't an accomplished clay court player. He's good on hard but he struggles with the high bounce on this surface, which is only natural when you're 5'6'. Soderling leads the H2H 4-1 and has covered this line in all the best-of-three matches he's played against Rochus. The Belgian eased past Adrian Mannarino yesterday, but he's up against a Top 10 player here. I look at Rochus' recent results against someone like Richard Gasquet on clay (lost three times, 6-1 6-1. 6-1 6-0, 6-2 6-1) and if he struggles like that against Gasquet, then I can't see him being able to deal with the Swede. Soderling hasn't been playing that well on the red brick of late, losing to Nicolas Almagro and Stan Wawrinka, but he's got the serve and the flat groundstrokes to be able to see off this line. He'll be looking to click into gear before the French and I see this as a perfect opportunity for him to do so. 6-4 6-3 would cover this line - think there's potential for that to happen. Nice - Gael Monfils vs Marco Chiudinelli Gael Monfils -5 games AH at 2.11 (Pinnacle) - Bet strength: 4/10 This appears quite a big line but I'm willing to give it a go at tasty odds. I don't rate Chiudinelli on clay. I like him on an indoor court but think the slower conditions here play into Monfils' hands. The Swiss beat Fabio Fognini in the last round, which is not a bad clay scalp, but Monfils is a step up. The Frenchman has got the ability to reach all of Chiudinelli's shots and hit punishing strokes. In my opinion, he's got better movement, better clay court nous and better groundstrokes that the Swiss. They met last year in Tokyo on a quick indoor hard court and Monfils came out on top there. In France, where he'll have the crowd's backing, and on his preferred surface, I believe he can cover the line here. Other matches I looked at were Starace vs Kubot and Serra vs Verdasco. Starace cuffed Kubot 6-1 6-0 in Casablanca last time out but I don't trust the Italian enough to take him to do it again. Verdasco should beat Serra but the Frenchman hasn't been playing too badly and could make it close on home soil. Good luck :hope

Got to agree with mab here, feel the value lies with Soderling and Monfils today. Nice - Robin Soderling vs Olivier Rochus Under 19.5 games at 1.833 (Pinnacle) - Bet strength: 8/10 I just can't see past the Swede winning this comfortably and quickly. Rochus just isn't an accomplished clay court player. He's good on hard but he struggles with the high bounce on this surface, which is only natural when you're 5'6'. Soderling leads the H2H 4-1 and has covered this line in all the best-of-three matches he's played against Rochus. The Belgian eased past Adrian Mannarino yesterday, but he's up against a Top 10 player here. I look at Rochus' recent results against someone like Richard Gasquet on clay (lost three times, 6-1 6-1. 6-1 6-0, 6-2 6-1) and if he struggles like that against Gasquet, then I can't see him being able to deal with the Swede. Soderling hasn't been playing that well on the red brick of late, losing to Nicolas Almagro and Stan Wawrinka, but he's got the serve and the flat groundstrokes to be able to see off this line. He'll be looking to click into gear before the French and I see this as a perfect opportunity for him to do so. 6-4 6-3 would cover this line - think there's potential for that to happen. Nice - Gael Monfils vs Marco Chiudinelli Gael Monfils -5 games AH at 2.11 (Pinnacle) - Bet strength: 4/10 This appears quite a big line but I'm willing to give it a go at tasty odds. I don't rate Chiudinelli on clay. I like him on an indoor court but think the slower conditions here play into Monfils' hands. The Swiss beat Fabio Fognini in the last round, which is not a bad clay scalp, but Monfils is a step up. The Frenchman has got the ability to reach all of Chiudinelli's shots and hit punishing strokes. In my opinion, he's got better movement, better clay court nous and better groundstrokes that the Swiss. They met last year in Tokyo on a quick indoor hard court and Monfils came out on top there. In France, where he'll have the crowd's backing, and on his preferred surface, I believe he can cover the line here. Other matches I looked at were Starace vs Kubot and Serra vs Verdasco. Starace cuffed Kubot 6-1 6-0 in Casablanca last time out but I don't trust the Italian enough to take him to do it again. Verdasco should beat Serra but the Frenchman hasn't been playing too badly and could make it close on home soil. Good luck :hope
Decided no to touch starace and kubot as well. i, too, was wary of serra being at home but decided to go with verdasco still. he's got no excuses for losing and should want to win a few matches before heading into the french. some good match ups for us punters today. hopefully everything'll stay on the up. @uptheirons i'm pretty sure dusseldorf isnt a real tournament. i wouldn't be putting any real money on any close matches as this close to the french i'm sure they're all just in for a decent hit.

Mayer to win a set vs Bellucci @ 8/11(SKYBET:5/10) Looks a decent price for what should be a tough match.....form and class in Bellucci's favour but they've played 3 setters every time they've met....2-1 Bellucci leads h2h winning recently in 3 in Rome. Clay pretty slow in Nice so it could be a battle...he's had some injury troubles but came through Guez in 3 in rd 1. Has some good results at Challenger level on clay so can play on the stuff. Bellucci is having a good year but was crushed by Monaco last week in Madrid....week before a slam....I think Mayer has a shot at pushing him close here. GL!
That's an outstanding shout mate :clap

Got to agree with mab here, feel the value lies with Soderling and Monfils today. Nice - Robin Soderling vs Olivier Rochus Under 19.5 games at 1.833 (Pinnacle) - Bet strength: 8/10 I just can't see past the Swede winning this comfortably and quickly. Rochus just isn't an accomplished clay court player. He's good on hard but he struggles with the high bounce on this surface, which is only natural when you're 5'6'. Soderling leads the H2H 4-1 and has covered this line in all the best-of-three matches he's played against Rochus. The Belgian eased past Adrian Mannarino yesterday, but he's up against a Top 10 player here. I look at Rochus' recent results against someone like Richard Gasquet on clay (lost three times, 6-1 6-1. 6-1 6-0, 6-2 6-1) and if he struggles like that against Gasquet, then I can't see him being able to deal with the Swede. Soderling hasn't been playing that well on the red brick of late, losing to Nicolas Almagro and Stan Wawrinka, but he's got the serve and the flat groundstrokes to be able to see off this line. He'll be looking to click into gear before the French and I see this as a perfect opportunity for him to do so. 6-4 6-3 would cover this line - think there's potential for that to happen. Nice - Gael Monfils vs Marco Chiudinelli Gael Monfils -5 games AH at 2.11 (Pinnacle) - Bet strength: 4/10 This appears quite a big line but I'm willing to give it a go at tasty odds. I don't rate Chiudinelli on clay. I like him on an indoor court but think the slower conditions here play into Monfils' hands. The Swiss beat Fabio Fognini in the last round, which is not a bad clay scalp, but Monfils is a step up. The Frenchman has got the ability to reach all of Chiudinelli's shots and hit punishing strokes. In my opinion, he's got better movement, better clay court nous and better groundstrokes that the Swiss. They met last year in Tokyo on a quick indoor hard court and Monfils came out on top there. In France, where he'll have the crowd's backing, and on his preferred surface, I believe he can cover the line here. Other matches I looked at were Starace vs Kubot and Serra vs Verdasco. Starace cuffed Kubot 6-1 6-0 in Casablanca last time out but I don't trust the Italian enough to take him to do it again. Verdasco should beat Serra but the Frenchman hasn't been playing too badly and could make it close on home soil. Good luck :hope
0/2 today, poor stuff again. Going to be a tough task to pull this week's losses back.

Sport Tennis
Event Alexandra Dulgheru v Tsvetana Pironkova
Selection Tsvetana Pironkova
Strength 10/10
Date 20/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 3.75 (Back)
Reasoning Dulgheru seems to be very highly rated at the moment. Of course, she's having a good clay season and playing well, but is she this good? I like the look of Pironkova in this game. I've liked her for a couple of years, but after breaking through it hasn't quite happened for her (yet!). She's having a great week here, having come through qualifying and wins over Wozniak and Dementieva. I saw some of that and she played well, and seems a really big price here.
Sport Tennis
Event Maria Sharapova v Julia Goerges
Selection Julia Goerges
Strength 10/10
Date 20/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 3.50 (Back)
Reasoning I'm going to try Goerges here. Not sure about Sharapova's form, or her commitment to this tournament. She struggled in first match, then beat a nobody. She's now playing Goerges who will blast balls back and make things uncomfortable. Sharapova has had the matches she wanted to get prepared for Paris so may not be 100% focussed. Goerges has a big game and is playing pretty well this year. I think she can win this.
Sport Tennis
Event Caroline Wozniacki v Jie Zheng
Selection Jie Zheng
Strength 10/10
Date 20/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 2.62 (Back)
Reasoning Wozniacki has been struggling with her ankle for the past month, and in some matches has made very little effort. She won a tough match against Hercog, so maybe doesn't fancy a big effort here. Zheng is a very strong player, and will really move her around and test that ankle. Zheng struggled in her 1st match, then was much better in her next. Good style to go up against Woz, and can cause the upset here.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May Sport Tennis Event Gael Monfils-Potito Starace Selection Potito Starace (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 20/05/2010 Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.80 (Lay) Reasoning Gael Monfils won in last round with Chiudinelli in 3 sets,while Starace played with Kubot,winning in 2 sets.In the tournament from Nice,so far Starace played with modest players,like Kubot or Darcis,but tomorrow will have a difficult match.Monfils is a reasonable player in ATP,being on 15th place.Also,Monfils will play in his country,being a great advantage for him.Lay on Starace.

Re: Tennis - 17-23 May WIN on Mayer today.......should have taken the outright 2/1 as it looked overpriced but had doubts about him finishing Bellucci. Anyway, I like Cramer's tip on Zheng but price is dropping fast already....hitting 11/8 right now and would need more to back Zheng. Girl can't serve......:lol....but Wozniacki is struggling a bit right now and really shouldn;t be playing this week. Hercog should have taken her out today and Zheng has the game to punish any short balls and move her around. Might leave that one but will see in the morning. Baghdatis looks a bit short against Mayer aswell.