Bookmakers or cowards?

Just had to comment on being knocked back for a £20 win bet on Splendorinthegrass in today's Victoria Cup and offered £5 to win. I just ended up putting in on with another bookie but it did make me wonder whether some of them really are interested at all in accepting bets. I never thought I'd be knocked back for such a small bet on a horse that's drifting in that type of race. After all it's a fiercly competitive 29 runner handicap not a selling handicap chase at Plumpton. It's pathetic and does nothing to attract people to the sport. K

Re: Bookmakers or cowards? If its any consolation, at least it proves you are winning, profitable punter and are thus considered a risk to their profitability. :ok To those with restricted accounts, how much do you have to take them to the cleaners for before they close your account or limit it? If you do them over in one big hit do they close you or is it repeated winners over several months?

Re: Bookmakers or cowards?

Just had to comment on being knocked back for a £20 win bet on Splendorinthegrass in today's Victoria Cup and offered £5 to win. I just ended up putting in on with another bookie but it did make me wonder whether some of them really are interested at all in accepting bets. I never thought I'd be knocked back for such a small bet on a horse that's drifting in that type of race. After all it's a fiercly competitive 29 runner handicap not a selling handicap chase at Plumpton. It's pathetic and does nothing to attract people to the sport. K
I agree. Why bother taking racing bets and having to frame the odds when you can offer mug games like Virtual Sports and FOBT's which provide a lot more profit for less risk?

Re: Bookmakers or cowards? Ridiculous really. £20's hardly going to break the bloody bank. It's one of the biggest problems we, punters, now face. It's not picking the horse, it's getting the bet on. Remember at Musselburgh on the PL do, the on course bookies were offering 1/8 odds as EW terms on the last race:lol:lol.

Re: Bookmakers or cowards? £5 on is not bad at all. I have accounts where I can hardly put £1 when the odds are big. Let's not forget the industry wins its money from banning successful punters or identifying potential threats. I have accounts where I've won fair few quid, but I also have accounts where I am hardly on profit and still I get banned. Sometimes bookies limit you after they see the type of betting you do. Playing e/w on big prices against opposable favs and stuff like that is what they look for. I've just made calculations on two of my accounts where I'm limited. At one of them I'm on overall loss and still I can hardly put bets there. Funny, isn't? :D

Re: Bookmakers or cowards? Some of the on course bookies are pathetic. There was a competitive 16 runner maiden recently at Pontefract and bookies were going WIN ONLY, what the fcuk is that all about? Each way terms on a 16 runner handicap were 1/5 odds apart from one bookie I found that was going 1/4 odds and some races are 1/6th and 1/7th odds. I was discussing on course bookies with Billy The Punter after Epsom and we agreed that on course bookies don't have an opinion anymore, they have no balls apart from maybe Barry Dennis. I have seen bookies price a race up from the tissue prices in the Racing Post or they just usually go with Betfair and copy that. As for high street bookies/online bookies - they don't want successful punters, their business is to take our money not pay us out but I see what you mean about getting limited to small stakes, they might aswell just ban you. You can keep opening accounts with different bookies or use other peoples names etc but I think those doing it full time need a team of people like Veitch has who will get bets on and spread the cash about. As for punters that are not pro but struggle to get bets on it looks like they'll be stuck with Betfair only and small stakes elsewhere unless they get wise and bend the rules etc.