Inside draw in Chester sprints

Obviously a low draw at Chester is a significant advantage in the sprints. But personally I'd always be wary of a horse drawn no.1. I'd decided to lay Primo Lady in the first yesterday over 5 furlongs. Both the Racing Post and ATR had highlighted the no.1 draw as an extra reason for supporting her. It can certainly be an advantage - as long as the horse gets into its stride quickly. But if it doesn't, having the inside draw is actually a negative IMHO. Much in the same way as happens in greyhound racing, if the horse drawn 1 gets away slowly, he finds other horses have made a dash for the rail. He is still on the rail himself, because of his draw, but now he is badly squeezed for room, stuck behind a group of horses who have dashed over in front of him. Recovering from this position can then become very difficult, especially over a sprint distance. This is precisely what happened to Primo Lady yesterday, who didn't manage to extricate herself and find daylight until it was much too late. (She finished like a train to come a close 3rd, and I was probably lucky to find my lay was successful, because as it transpired she was probably the fastest horse in the race). Certainly if I was backing to win in a Chester sprint, I would be cautious of a no.1 draw unless I was pretty certain the selection was invariably a fast starter.

Re: Inside draw in Chester sprints Completely agree with you mate:ok It's not just the draw at Chester, it's just as much it's racing style and speed out of the gates. Prime example for me, although not a sprint race, was Tastahil in the Chester Cup. Was drawn very wide but bounced out of the gates, tacked over to the rails easily, raced up top and was only just nosed out of the winners enclosure. Good post and one to take heed of. What was the Hughes horse called in the sprint, Royal Intruder I think? Drawn low too but a confirmed hold up type. Couldn't beleive it started in single figures and was a lay because of all the reasons you cited.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.