Cricket: County Championship 2010

The new domestic cricket season is less than a week away now so it's time to start the 1st thread of the year, the County Championship. We had 2 seperate threads for the 2 divisions last year but with weather being a pain and only 8 matches per round at most I think we can get away with one thread this year. I've done a preview for each division which I'll put up in the next two posts but just a quick overview of the rules and format for those new to domestic cricket and the wonderful betting opportunities it brings. We have two divisions of 9 counties. At the end of the season the top 2 from Division 2 replace the bottom 2 of Division 1. Unlike last season, you now get 16pts for a win, 3 for a draw and nothing for losing which differs from 14pts for a win last season, 4 for a draw and zero for losing. All matches in this competition are 4 days long and 2 innings per side. You also score bonus points in the 1st innings of each match and they are scored as follows: Batting: 200-249 runs = 1pt 250-299 runs = 2pts 300-349 runs = 3pts 350-399 runs = 4pts 400 runs and over = 5pts Bowling: 3-5 wickets = 1pt 6-8 wickets = 2pts 9 or 10 wickets = 3pts Note: Unlike previous seasons you can only score bonus points in the 1st 110 overs of each 1st innings instead of the 1st 120 overs last season. Hopefully the rule changes will lead to more results and in turn lots more :cash for us at the end of it. Season runs from April to September and begins on Friday. Let's hope it's a decent season with plenty of involvement like the recent cricket threads on PL. I know we've lots of county fans on PL so this should be another good thread. Previews to follow shortly.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2010 Division 1 Durham successfully defended their Championship title last season and it’s hard to see beyond them winning a 3rd straight title. They are so strong in their bowling attack that results are always likely in their matches. They’ve decided not to go into the season with an overseas player but they do still have some real batting quality from the likes of Michael di Venuto and Dale Benkenstein not to mention Paul Collingwood on the rare occasions he isn’t with England. Steve Harmison’s England career looks well and truly over and their loss is Durham’s gain. Mark Davies, Callum Thorp, Liam Plunkett and Mitch Claydon form a serious good attack. Youngsters Scott Borthwick and Ben Stokes could well have excellent rookie seasons. I think Durham are the team to beat this season and I see them winning their 3rd title in a row. They may go well in the new 40 over competition as well but they are yet to really crack twenty20. That said, I’m sure Durham skipper Will Smith will be delighted if his side retain the Championship as that is seen as the holy grail up in the North-East. Last season: 1st Key players: Michael di Venuto & Stephen Harmison Best odds: 2/1 Totesport Predicted finishing position: 1st Essex carried out a remarkable run chase on the last day of last season to earn promotion to the 1st division for this season. Essex will be keeping a watchful eye on the England situation as having Ravi Bopara or not could make or break their season. Bopara will miss the 1st 6 weeks of the season on IPL and world twenty20 duty. He’s key to the Eagles batting which still looks very light without Alastair Cook at the top. Graham Napier has made a name for himself in one day cricket and Essex will need more consistent performances from him in 4 day cricket to be successful. The probable absence of Danish Kaneria later in the summer is a big one for a side who don’t have the biggest squad. One day cricket is more Essex’s forte and I think that will be the same this season. It will be a long season in four day cricket and they will need some youngsters like Tom Westley and Billy Godleman if they are to achieve anything. With Kaneria likely to be away, the sale of James Middlebrook is a weird one. Ryan ten Doeschate looks likely to play a major role for Essex but ultimately I think they will go down and take the wooden spoon with them. Last season: 2nd in Division 2 Key players: Ravi Bopara & Ryan ten Doeschate Best odds: 18/1 Boylesports Predicted finishing position: 9th

Hampshire’s title ambitions fizzled out with a whimper last season and I fear that the newly named Royals will be found wanting this season too. Michael Lumb is away in the IPL and will then go to the world twenty20 which could lead to him being away with England through the summer. Dimitri Mascarenhas will miss the opening two months of the season with injury while overseas player Ajentha Mendis has been called into Sri Lanka’s world twenty20 squad and will be away for a triangular series as well but when he returns to the Rose Bowl the wickets will be right up his street.

Neil McKenzie is a very good kolpak signing who should score lots of runs at the Rose Bowl. He replaces the retired John Crawley while Royals fans will hope Michael Carberry avoids England duty through the summer. Sean Ervine is due a big season. Kabir Ali and Simon Jones were high profile signings in the close season but neither have a good record with injuries. Chris Tremlett has left the club and his pace and bounce could be a big loss. Hampshire are good enough for a mid table finish and will hope to pick up one of the two one day trophies.

Last season: 6th

Key players: Michael Carberry & Sean Ervine

Best odds: 5/1 VC & Blue Square

Predicted finishing position: 4th

Kent were runaway winners of the 2nd division last season and should enjoy another solid season under the captaincy of Robert Key. Joe Denly’s England race looks temporarily run which is a boost. Martin van Jaarsveld is a run machine. Ryan McLaren and Justin Kemp are heavy losses as is Stuart Clark who looked booked in for a lucrative spell for the 1st half of the season. Amjad Khan will be key with the ball as will Sri Lankan Malinga Bandara when he arrives.

Much of Kent’s 4 day season will depend on James Tredwell. He looks likely to be away with England for a fair bit of the summer. He’ll miss some of the start of the season on England duty. Geraint Jones was a big run scorer for the Spitfires last season and they’ll need his runs again but the ability to take 20 wickets is the main worry for Kent. They will score the runs to stay up but won’t quite be good enough for the title so a tilt at the one day titles are my expectation for Kent this season.

Last season: 1st in Division 2 Key players: Robert Key & Martin van Jaarsveld

Best odds: 9/1 Skybet, Totesport & Coral

Predicted finishing position: 5th

Lancashire are the nearly men of the county championship having come so close to the title they really want so many times. I think this will be another season of disappointment as well but I expect them to improve a little bit on last year. They have a very shrewd coach and a captain who leads by example. If Kumar Sangakkara can provide some real runs then Lancashire can push the top two. Paul Horton, Mark Chilton and Stephen Moore are all solid run scorers and if the younger seamers like Tom Smith and Kyle Hogg can improve on last year then the Lightning can have a good season.

Ashwell Prince will be a good signing for Lancs while Sangakkara is away and Daren Powell should boost their bowling attack. Francois du Plessis is a big loss but in Moore they have a good replacement at the top of the order. Gary Keedy will come into his own if we have a dry summer and any games Jimmy Anderson gets to play will give Peter Moores’ men a big boost. I see them pushing the top two but not quite having the tools to go all the way. Andrew Flintoff’s availability will be key to their one day fortunes.

Last season: 4th

Key players: Stephen Moore & Glen Chapple

Best odds: 10/1 Bet365

Predicted finishing position: 3rd

Nottinghamshire were closest to Durham last year and I think they will be again this year. They’ll be without Adam Voges this season but Hashim Amla and David Hussey will be very solid overseas players. Mark Wagh had a rare barren season last time round but Chris Read and Samit Patel will boost the Outlaws batting lineup which will looks full of runs. Injuries to the bowling attack never helped last season but if things improve on that front then Notts could end up even closer to Durham.

Charlie Shreck and Darren Pattinson will be key to Nottinghamshire hopes this season and any appearances they get out of Stuart Broad, Ryan Sidebottom and Graeme Swann will be a bonus. Mark Ealham needs replacing having retired but Alex Hales has a bright future and will be looking to push into the starting eleven. Nottinghamshire are best equipped to stop Durham’s hat trick but for me they’ll fall just short so it will be the runners up prize again this year. An improvement in one day cricket looks likely but they may need a bit more to win a limited overs competition.

Last season: 2nd

Key players: Samit Patel & Chris Read

Best odds: 13/2 Boylesports

Predicted finishing position: 2nd

Somerset had an excellent season last term but the brains and runs of Justin Langer will be very tough to replace. Marcus Trescothick takes over the captaincy and Nick Compton, brought in from Middlesex is trusted with scoring Langer’s runs. Another major loss will be Craig Kieswetter, who scored 1200 runs last year, who will be away with England for lots of the season. Murali Kartik has been signed for overseas duties. He could be a good signing but will be supported by a weak bowling attack. Charl Willoughby was surprisingly the top wicket taker in this division last season but if it’s a good summer he’s unlikely to go as well again. Andrew Caddick is getting no younger so Alfonso Thomas, in a vice captain role, will be key. In Kieswetter’s absence, James Hildreth will need to step up with runs more than ever before. Somerset should have enough about them to stay up but they could be big losers in the new points system. I expect them to avoid the drop, just, and set their sights on a one day trophy, particularly the twenty20 where the signing of Kieron Pollard could be a very good one.

Last season: 3rd

Key players: Marcus Trrescothick & Charl Willoughby

Best odds: 10/1 Bet365, Skybet & Boylesports

Predicted finishing position: 7th

Warwickshire had a solid season last term and I expect similar this year. I think they’ve made a cracking signing in Varun Chopra, particularly if both Trott and Bell are away with England for most of the summer. Imran Tahir is another clever signing who will go well in the right conditions. Darren Maddy’s face injury will need a quick recovery but I think this is a season of promise for Ashley Giles’ men. Perhaps the biggest loss is Allan Donald as bowling coach but on the field they look ok.

Chris Woakes is a season more experienced and Neil Carter is usually reliable at this level. Ian Westwood surprised me as captain last season but he’ll look to be aggressive this term and take advantage of the points system. Rikki Clarke was disappointing last season and he’ll need to improve. Hopes will be high at Edgbaston this season but I think the promise could be unfulfilled unless Maddy and Ambrose have excellent seasons. They’ll avoid relegation but that’ll be it.

Last season: 5th

Key players: Darren Maddy & Chris Woakes

Best odds: 14/1 Boylesports

Predicted finishing position: 6th

Yorkshire narrowly avoided relegation last season and having finished 7th in each of the last two seasons I’m afraid their time has come to get the chop this season. With Tim Bresnan likely to be away for much of the summer and Ryan Harris’ overseas spell looking iffy with each Australian call up he receives it’s hard to see the white rose competing in the bowling department. The losses of Matthew Hoggard to Leicestershire and Deon Kruis to retirement aren’t helpful. To top it all off they will have a rookie captain who won’t be able to call on the batting of Michael Vaughan. If Yorkshire are to beat the drop then Jacques Rudolph and Anthony McGrath will have to score plenty of runs. Ajmal Shahzad will need to take plenty of wickets alongwith Harris if he does arrive. Adil Rashid could be around for most of the season which would be a boost but I don’t see their bowling being anywhere near strong enough to compete here. I believe Yorkshire will join Essex in division 2 next season. Last season: 7th

Key players: Jacques Rudolph & Anthony McGrath

Best odds: 22/1 Bet365, Boylesports & Blue Square

Predicted finishing position: 8th

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.