Benchmarking - Week 1 results

GaF

Re: Benchmarking - Week 1 results

It is actually interesting looking at the "Won $ at Showdown" stat across all hands:
Popeye56.1%
Charlie Brown54.8%
Eeyore48.1%
Top Cat35.8%
Indication seem to me that Top Cat is controlling the pot size well - he is winning big pots and losing small pots - in contrast the other 3 players are maybe focussing on winning too many pots, instead of focusing on winning big pots.
I've been asked by PM to elaborate a bit on the control of the pot size - I'll put my reply here too - maybe it will generate some discussion, or some better advice from elsewhere :ok
The big pots point at the moment is pretty vague and undefined - it probably isnt worth bothering too much with at the moment. The thought process I'd probably encourage is to think about the impact your bet sizing has on the size of the final pot, and how that compares to your hand strength. When you have very strong hands, then you want to play for very big pots. When you have less strong hands, you want to play for less big pots. How do you play a big pot? If you always raise 3xBB pre flop then post flop raise a pot sized bet every street (and your opponent just calls) then you end up with a final pot something like this: Pre flop: bet 30c Opponent calls, pot size 75c Post Flop: Bet pot 75c, Opponent calls 75c, pot size $2.25 Turn: Bet pot $2.25, Opponent calls $2.25, Pot size $6.75 River: Bet pot $6.75. opponent calls $6.75, Pot size $20.25 You've managed to put 100x BB into the pot - you'd better have a very strong hand :tongue2 In contrast, to keep the pot small, you can bet half the pot, and also avoid betting one of the streets. Something like this: Pre flop: bet 30c Opponent calls, pot size 75c Post Flop: Bet half pot 40c, opponent calls, pot size $1.55 Turn: Check, Opponent checks, Pot size $1.55 River: Bet half pot 80c, opponent calls, Pot size $3.15 So instead of putting 100xBB into the pot, you have put $1.50 (15xBB) into the pot Of course, this is complicated by your opponents not being quite that passive, and also by the need to not be too transparent about your hand strength (though at Rush poker, you can be far more transparent than you usually would)

Re: Benchmarking - Week 1 results Re. putting chips in the pot - This is something you can plan outside of game time unlike nearly all aspects of poker - for example you're the PFR with 65s with 1 caller and a flop such as 8TJ two tone comes down - we have air with no equity. We can make a standard cbet of say 2/3 the pot to 'balance' against regs but the majority of pots played at these stakes will be vs fish so instead a better bet would be half pot as we know if they have a piece of the flop they're never folding no matter our bet size and if they have air they're not going to float us though it's cheap so it works out cheaper all round for us. Other things to note are these players seem obsessed with min-raising as a bluff. I don't know if they're doing it to 'find out where they are' but they're so FOS. And they don't value bet thin on the river so if they're betting big on the river then it will nearly every time be polarized so think about the actions and likelihood of them having a big hand or bluff.