Tennis - 8-14 February

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Value is definitely with Martic. I'd never seen her before yesterday but she was superb against Wickmayer. Went toe to toe with her from the baseline, good attacking game aswell. Wickmayer was making alot of unforced error's but she was still playing pretty well, serving not bad. Dunno about Szavay....Govortsova is terrible so not sure how much to read into that win. Indoor certainly not her best surface either I'd side with Martic now, but reluctant to put money on her just because I've not seen her enough.....hard to know how she responds after a great win but pretty long match.

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February

Sport Tennis
Event Safarova - Schiavone
Selection Safarova
Strength 10/10
Date 11/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.20 (Back)
Reasoning Safarova had a nice start of season in Brisbane and in quarters against Kim played probably best set of her carrer,but injured herself in next tournament and wasnt the same after that.She is former finalist of this event and has nice memories here.She is left hander with loads of power from both sides and she is always ready to take risks to take contol of the rallies.In first round she took Paszek apart and looked impressiveparticulary on serve with 7 aces and 70% of first serves in.Her next opponent is super experienced Schiavone.She has very nice game,as she is capable to go for power from forehand side but also to mix it up with slices and some excellentnet play.She was more consistent till this tournament but did strugle against in form players who can outpower her from back.When i try to break down their strenghts Safarova clearly has more in her game,and i feel indoors is right place to take on Schiavone where her lack of consistency isnt that costly.Safarova should be bad matchup for Schiavone as she has more power and her lefty forehand goes directly to much weaker backhend wing of Italian

Sport Tennis
Event Berankis - Greul
Selection Berankis +2 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 11/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.86 (Back)
Reasoning In my opinion Berankis is be able to take good result in this match, if lost.. in only three sets. Berankis is young player from Lithuania, in this year play really good - QF in Sao Paulo, SF in Salinas. In this tournament won Q, in first round play with Ginepri(better player than Greul in my opinion) - Berankis look very good lost first set 6-7, but unlucky(have 5-4 and serve..), but in second and third set show great skills won 6-2, 6-3. Berankis serve look very good - 9 aces, give only 2 chances to break in match against Ginepri. Greul before this tournament play 6 matches, won only 2 with worse players than Berankis - Del Bonis in 3 sets and Wolmarans 2-0. Lost against Giraldo, Young, Kamke, Ram - are not top players. In first round won against Chardy, but Jeremy is out of form, last win take in november! For me Berankis have chances :)

Sport Tennis
Event Berankis - Greul
Selection Berankis +2 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 11/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.86 (Back)
Reasoning In my opinion Berankis is be able to take good result in this match, if lost.. in only three sets. Berankis is young player from Lithuania, in this year play really good - QF in Sao Paulo, SF in Salinas. In this tournament won Q, in first round play with Ginepri(better player than Greul in my opinion) - Berankis look very good lost first set 6-7, but unlucky(have 5-4 and serve..), but in second and third set show great skills won 6-2, 6-3. Berankis serve look very good - 9 aces, give only 2 chances to break in match against Ginepri. Greul before this tournament play 6 matches, won only 2 with worse players than Berankis - Del Bonis in 3 sets and Wolmarans 2-0. Lost against Giraldo, Young, Kamke, Ram - are not top players. In first round won against Chardy, but Jeremy is out of form, last win take in november! For me Berankis have chances :)
BERANKIS PLAY AGAInST PHAU, my mistake ;P sorry :)

Sport Tennis
Event Kubot - Montanes
Selection Kubot +3.5 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 11/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 1.85 (Back)
Reasoning For me Lukasz Kubot have chances against Montanes. H2H is 1-0 for Montanes, play match on Clay and won 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 - in 2008 Montanes (58), Kubot(223), but player from Poland make incredible progress - in this moment have 56 position in ATP rank! Montanes in first round play against Greul 6-2, 7-6, but Greul have worse serve than Kubot - make 10 double faults, not have aces, 44% first serve in.. Montanes never go to third round in this tournament. Kubot play in second tournament on clay in this year - in Chile go to second round and lost against Granollers. In this tournament in first round won 2-0 against typicall claycourter Oscar Hernandez. Kubot show very good serve, won 70% on serve. Kubot in last year go to second round in this tournament, but in this moment is better than last year ;) Go KUUUBOOOT!

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Sport Tennis Event Phau vs Berankis Selection Berankis Strength 10/10 Date 11/02/2010 Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.10 (Back) Reasoning In last round from San Jose,Phau won in 2 sets with Chardy,while Berankis won with Ginepri in 3 sets.The odds say Phau is favorite here,but I guess Berankis will win here.Why?Because I saw the match with Ginepri,when Berankis really played very well,he having a strong service and a remarkable speed after balls,obtaining more breaks with Ginepri.Phau had a easy match with Chardy,because the last crosses a bad period,lossing all matches in 2010.I try a bet on Berankis,I guess he is the better team here,even if Phau is ahead of Berankis in ATP ranking,Berankis has more freshness in the game than Phau.

Sport Tennis
Event Chakvetadze - Tanasugarn
Selection Tanasugarn
Strength 10/10
Date 12/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 2.00 (Back)
Reasoning Chakvetadze has made most out of easy draw she got here.In her prime she was a joy to watch as she is excellent striker who relied on sublime timing and really looked like she will be consistent top ten performer.Her weakness always was of psychological nature and she is just to mentaly fragile after 2007 incident.She still got the talent but always fall aparts against tough opposition.I couldnt pull the trigger and take Tanasugarn against Lisicki even i knew she will be better of the ground but i thought Lisicki serve and Tanasugarn lack of it will make the crucial difference in German favour.In this matchup that doesnt present any fear so i must side with Thai.Based on what i saw from both girls this season she is clear favourite for me.

Sport Tennis
Event Dent - Querrey
Selection Dent
Strength 7/10
Date 12/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 2.70 (Back)
Reasoning I must say i dont see anyone of this two taking this easy as both guys have their game suited nicely for quick indoors surface.They count on serve as their mayor weapon and forehands to take control of points,Querrey is more consistent from the ground and has more variety on backhand side.But i feel he will have more trouble with Dent net rushing style as that sort of game require tidy movement and good passing shots both of which are Querrey biggest weaknesses.Dent looked better so far this season as Querrey got his first victoy just this week and based on matchup i think Dent has slightly better chances.

Sport Tennis
Event Roddick - Mayer
Selection Mayer + 5.5 Games (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 11/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.61 (Back)
Reasoning There isnt much i can say about Andy that even those who remotely follow tennis dont know.His game is perfect for indoors and is huge favourite to take this match.His serve is tough nut to crack but that usually means he is satisfied with single break or to wait tiebreaks where he has great record.His opponent also has big serve but is much more attacking oriented than Andy and fast conditions should suit his game nicely. Mayer has the game to keep it close and cover the spread in this one.

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Right, back in the game today with two picks. Spot the Russian theme... Costa do Sauipe - Igor Andreev vs Pablo Cuevas: Andreev at 1.67 I had Andreev priced around the 1.60 mark here against Cuevas, so first off the price represent value to me. I have to say, I've stung before by Andreev in the past, but I like him on clay. It is his preferred surface, he made the quarters of Rolland Garros a few years ago and he is starting to accumulate a few wins now. He has all the shots of a Top 20 player but it's the mental side of his game that needs to be honed. I think that comes with confidence. Cuevas is a decent clay court player but he's shown a few wobbles recently. He needed a final-set tie-break to beat Frederico Gil - who is not as good as Andreev - in the last round and was knocked out surprisingly early in Chile last week. Andreev is the better of the two players on quality and I'm happy to risk the mental side of his game and say that he'll prevail here. Bet strength: 5pts Rotterdam - Gael Monfils vs Mikhail Youzhny: Youzhny at 2.05 Monfils is one of my favourite players but he's struggling at the moment. There are rumours that he is ill this week and was suffering from a sickness bug. He was poor against Olivier Rochus and although he was comfortable against Thiemo de Bakker, the Dutchman is alien to anything but clay. This will be Monfils' fourth tournament in a row and fatigue will catch up on him. Youzhny is the not the most reliable of players but he leads the H2H 2-0 on hard courts and has the game to break down Monfils. The Russian is a good indoors player and did well to take out Andrey Golubev and Marsel Ilhan. He never gives up and although I expect plenty of twists and turns, I'd actually make Youzhny the very slight favourite here. I like the price and I'm happy to take him. Bet strength: 4pts The other player that I considered was Fabio Fognini to beat Marcel Granollers. The Spaniard leads the H2H having won their meeting last year at the Copa Telmex on clay. I like Fognini though, he's got good groundstrokes, moves well and will be able to return Granollers' serve. But it'll be tight, so I need to convince myself on that one. None of the other matches stand out to me. Good luck, Atko

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Yep definitely taking Andreev, though he might be around 1.5-1.6....... Andreev to beat Cuevas @ 4/6 Watched parts of both Cuevas matches against Gil and Volandri, seems over the injury he had but not playing at his best yet. Pretty bad start to the year for him. Similarly Andreev has been horrible for months, but opportunities here to go deeper in the tournament I think. He should have beaten Mayer in Sydney on hard, took a set off Federer in Oz and has two good wins under his belt here against Starace and Machado. Stronger serve and groundstrokes than Cuevas, the latter wasn't serving so great against Gil, so chances for Andreev. As usual, you worry about Andreev mentally but some encouraging signs this week so hopefully he does it tonight. GL!

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Others I'm thinking about...... Peer to beat Safarova......initially I thought Safarova would be a good play for value, but odds have shortened now. Peer looks decently priced at 8/11. She's on form this year...semi at Auckland, final at Hobart, 3rd round at AO losing to Wozniacki and two good wins in Paris so far against Sprem and Cornet. Consistent player when she's on, solid, good movement and gets alot of balls back to you. Safarova is a player that can punish that but not been a great few months for her. Great shot-maker, lovely forehand can spray winners from anywhere. But her game needs to be 100% firing to take a match like this I think....good win over Schiavone but she made alot of UE's which I don't expect Peer to make. Roddick vs Berdych.....see a tight match here. Berdych has the game to win it, but mentally the gulf is huge between the two. Might look at the handicaps or overs market for this one.

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Oudin - Szavay Well , this is another value bet for me. I expect at most @1.35 for oudin for this match. Oudin is playing very well in this tournoment. On the other hand Szavay is inconsistent player.Yesterday her win against martic is not comfortable. Although Oudin is very young player , her tennis level is at least one class above than szavay. Oudin beat Cirstea and Schnyder at previous rounds. Szavay is not playing better than Cirstea and Schnyder. Oudin @1.86 Strength : 10/10

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Taken Peer to beat Safarova @ 8/11 Reasoning I stated above. LOSS....took Safarova in-play first set at 4/6....so was facing a small loss no matter who won. Girl was on-fire today. Felt the match was on Safarova's racquet but didn't think she'd make as few UE's and serve as well. Great match from her.

Sport Tennis
Event Melanie Oudin v Agnes Szavay
Selection Melanie Oudin
Strength 10/10
Date 12/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 1.80 (Back)
Reasoning Oudin is a player I like. She had understandable dip after US Open but now seems to be playing well. She got a couple of wins in Fed Cup at the weekend which is always good for comfidence and has two nice easy wins here over Cirstea and Schnyder. When she gets onto a roll she is very difficult to stop. Szavay has looked pretty good here too, but she often flattens to deceive and I think Oudin takes it tonight.

Sport Tennis
Event Juan Carlos Ferrero v Carlos Berlocq
Selection Lay Carlos Berlocq (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 12/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 4.00 (Lay)
Reasoning Now that Ferrero has had a couple of matches, can't see him having any problems with a player like erlocq. Simply several levels above and this should be comfortable. Berlocq was never a great player anyway, but after some bad injuries I can't see him getting to a high level. He's had some wins in qualifying and in the main draw, but now his time is up.
Sport Tennis
Event Philli[p Kohlschreiber v Denis Istomin
Selection Denis Istomin
Strength 10/10
Date 12/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.55 (Back)
Reasoning Money coming for Istomin and that is always interesting. He's the type of guy that when he serves well looks a great player, and indoors can be very dangerous. He beat Haas in the last round, not sure what type of condition Haas was in but still he got the win. Kohlschreiber is also the type that can make matches very difficult for himself. This could easily end up a very close matches and I'll take my chances at this price.

Right, back in the game today with two picks. Spot the Russian theme... Costa do Sauipe - Igor Andreev vs Pablo Cuevas: Andreev at 1.67 I had Andreev priced around the 1.60 mark here against Cuevas, so first off the price represent value to me. I have to say, I've stung before by Andreev in the past, but I like him on clay. It is his preferred surface, he made the quarters of Rolland Garros a few years ago and he is starting to accumulate a few wins now. He has all the shots of a Top 20 player but it's the mental side of his game that needs to be honed. I think that comes with confidence. Cuevas is a decent clay court player but he's shown a few wobbles recently. He needed a final-set tie-break to beat Frederico Gil - who is not as good as Andreev - in the last round and was knocked out surprisingly early in Chile last week. Andreev is the better of the two players on quality and I'm happy to risk the mental side of his game and say that he'll prevail here. Bet strength: 5pts Rotterdam - Gael Monfils vs Mikhail Youzhny: Youzhny at 2.05 Monfils is one of my favourite players but he's struggling at the moment. There are rumours that he is ill this week and was suffering from a sickness bug. He was poor against Olivier Rochus and although he was comfortable against Thiemo de Bakker, the Dutchman is alien to anything but clay. This will be Monfils' fourth tournament in a row and fatigue will catch up on him. Youzhny is the not the most reliable of players but he leads the H2H 2-0 on hard courts and has the game to break down Monfils. The Russian is a good indoors player and did well to take out Andrey Golubev and Marsel Ilhan. He never gives up and although I expect plenty of twists and turns, I'd actually make Youzhny the very slight favourite here. I like the price and I'm happy to take him. Bet strength: 4pts The other player that I considered was Fabio Fognini to beat Marcel Granollers. The Spaniard leads the H2H having won their meeting last year at the Copa Telmex on clay. I like Fognini though, he's got good groundstrokes, moves well and will be able to return Granollers' serve. But it'll be tight, so I need to convince myself on that one. None of the other matches stand out to me. Good luck, Atko
Grabbed Youzhny @ 4.33 after the first set.. Small stakes, just for fun. Maybe that fatigue will catch up to him after a long first set?

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Just quickly before the match, since it is going to be played today it seems. Kubot to bt Fognini (2.00, Pinnacle) I did not actually watch the matches, but the scorelines of their respective matches speak for themselves in my opinion. And even if Fognini may be a slight favourite, I think that the possible fatigue and maybe a little bit poorer form (0-6 set? really?) make this a straight value bet at these odds.

Right, back in the game today with two picks. Spot the Russian theme... Costa do Sauipe - Igor Andreev vs Pablo Cuevas: Andreev at 1.67 I had Andreev priced around the 1.60 mark here against Cuevas, so first off the price represent value to me. I have to say, I've stung before by Andreev in the past, but I like him on clay. It is his preferred surface, he made the quarters of Rolland Garros a few years ago and he is starting to accumulate a few wins now. He has all the shots of a Top 20 player but it's the mental side of his game that needs to be honed. I think that comes with confidence. Cuevas is a decent clay court player but he's shown a few wobbles recently. He needed a final-set tie-break to beat Frederico Gil - who is not as good as Andreev - in the last round and was knocked out surprisingly early in Chile last week. Andreev is the better of the two players on quality and I'm happy to risk the mental side of his game and say that he'll prevail here. Bet strength: 5pts Rotterdam - Gael Monfils vs Mikhail Youzhny: Youzhny at 2.05 Monfils is one of my favourite players but he's struggling at the moment. There are rumours that he is ill this week and was suffering from a sickness bug. He was poor against Olivier Rochus and although he was comfortable against Thiemo de Bakker, the Dutchman is alien to anything but clay. This will be Monfils' fourth tournament in a row and fatigue will catch up on him. Youzhny is the not the most reliable of players but he leads the H2H 2-0 on hard courts and has the game to break down Monfils. The Russian is a good indoors player and did well to take out Andrey Golubev and Marsel Ilhan. He never gives up and although I expect plenty of twists and turns, I'd actually make Youzhny the very slight favourite here. I like the price and I'm happy to take him. Bet strength: 4pts The other player that I considered was Fabio Fognini to beat Marcel Granollers. The Spaniard leads the H2H having won their meeting last year at the Copa Telmex on clay. I like Fognini though, he's got good groundstrokes, moves well and will be able to return Granollers' serve. But it'll be tight, so I need to convince myself on that one. None of the other matches stand out to me. Good luck, Atko
Andreev blitzed it 6-1 6-1, while Youzhny made me sweat by winning 5-7 6-2 6-3. A very tasty 7.75pt profit - only downside is I didn't take Fognini, who came back from a bagel to win!

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Super day Atko, well played mate....:clap

Just quickly before the match, since it is going to be played today it seems. Kubot to bt Fognini (2.00, Pinnacle) I did not actually watch the matches, but the scorelines of their respective matches speak for themselves in my opinion. And even if Fognini may be a slight favourite, I think that the possible fatigue and maybe a little bit poorer form (0-6 set? really?) make this a straight value bet at these odds.
Wasn't really long match for Fognini so not sure fatigue will be an issue. Saying that, the price you got was good value....I can only get 1.7 now which isn't good enough in a 50:50 match imo.