** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan

Friday night - Gold Coast v Melbourne Battle for the top, with GC's Smeltz set to overcome a virus, while Melbourne could be without Archie for this game. Given Melbourne is coming off a pretty busy schedule and has to travel for this game, while GC have had a chance to prepare a little longer, i was leaning towards a drawn game. Now that victory will be without Archie, i would see GC having a real chance to take the 3 at home. HT/FT Draw/GCU and GCU straight will be my plays.

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan I've been thinking a fair bit about this Melbourne game tonight. IMO there's definitely great value for Melbourne @ 3.30 given the form they've been in. But tbh, i really don't fancy putting any large sum of money on a melbourne side missing Thompson. Even though his goalscoring hasn't been the best this season, his play is so important to our structure and our ability to counter attack quickly. And really, without him, we're left with only one real striker in Robbie Kruse (...). Personally, i wouldn't rule it out, but a bet that looks pretty nailed on to me is the over 2.5 @ 1.85. I was expecting the price for this bet to be a lot shorter, but 1.85 is quite a good price. Their two games this season have ended 3-2, and 4-0 respectively, whilst Melbourne have had 19 goals in their last four games. Melbourne have only failed to score on four occasions this season, with two of those games coming against the well organised defence of Sydney. Both sides essentially play three at the back, and i'd tip plenty of chances for both sides. Also worth noting that these two are the two highest scoring teams in the league, with Melbourne scoring 45 goals in 24 games, whilst GC have scored 37 in 24 games. I'll be waiting for team news before putting these bets on, but atm i'm looking at: High stakes on over 2.5 @ 1.85 Medium stakes on both teams to score @ 1.75 Medium on Melbourne WIN @ 3.30 (pending Thompson playing) BOL :hope

progress.gif

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan Have taken the Gold Coast @ 2.38 just on the basis of team news. Having Shane Smeltz back is vital to them. Think he's the best striker in this league, 37 goals in 59 games tells no lies.

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan Melbourne @ 3.13 pinnacle Very impressed with the way that Melbourne easily tore apart a decent Wellington side on Tuesday night and even though they back up 3 days later, they were able to give Thompson, Hernandez and Kruse off earlier to rest them for this game. Also their defence has tightened up as Melburne go with a back three as they have not conceded in their last 2 games. Melbourne have won both clashes against the Gold Coast this season and like the look of a hat trick of wins. GC may be missing Smeltz and Miller due to illness, but believe that player for player, and overall as a team, Melbourne are the better side. Angulo and Hernandez showed their quality in the win over Wellington, and if the visitors close down Culina, then believe they will record a victory here.

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan Fwiw, Thompson was on crutches at the recovery session on wednesday and had a visible limp at the airport on thursday. This is the only piece of information holding me back from tipping Melbourne. Put out the same starting XI that have played in Melbourne's last few games and Melbourne's attack will be too much for Gold Coast's defence. They essentially play a back three of Bas Van Den Brink, Kristian Rees and Dino Djulbic. Not the type of defence that will strike fear into a strikers heart. Both Rees and Djublic have been average a-league defenders who have struggled to maintain a first team position throughout the course of the A-league before joining Gold Cost. And although Melbourne's back three consisting of an ageing Muscat, an underperforming Roddy Vargas and Adrian Leijer, i still think defensively Melbourne have the edge over Gold Coast. They have Brebner doing a great job screening in front of the back three, whilst their wing backs have (Kemp and Broxham of late) have been a lot better than Anderson at LWB and whoever else they have used at RWB (sometimes Djublic). Both teams weakness is in their defence, and both teams perceived strength lies in their attacking capabilities. That's why i'll be backing the overs. 5 Pts on Over 2.5 @ 1.85 (All bets with Bet365) 2.5 Pts on Both Teams to Score @ 1.66 2.5 Pts on Over 3.5 @ 3.10 0.5 Pts on Melbourne Win 3-2 @ 34 GL:hope

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan I'll just put equal stakes on Smeltz and Kruse to score. Too many injury concerns to pick a winner. Melbourne have rarely been tested recently and opposition defences have been parting like they have moses on their side. smeltz @2.65 kruse @3.85

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan

Fwiw, Thompson was on crutches at the recovery session on wednesday and had a visible limp at the airport on thursday. This is the only piece of information holding me back from tipping Melbourne. Put out the same starting XI that have played in Melbourne's last few games and Melbourne's attack will be too much for Gold Coast's defence. They essentially play a back three of Bas Van Den Brink, Kristian Rees and Dino Djulbic. Not the type of defence that will strike fear into a strikers heart. Both Rees and Djublic have been average a-league defenders who have struggled to maintain a first team position throughout the course of the A-league before joining Gold Cost. And although Melbourne's back three consisting of an ageing Muscat, an underperforming Roddy Vargas and Adrian Leijer, i still think defensively Melbourne have the edge over Gold Coast. They have Brebner doing a great job screening in front of the back three, whilst their wing backs have (Kemp and Broxham of late) have been a lot better than Anderson at LWB and whoever else they have used at RWB (sometimes Djublic). Both teams weakness is in their defence, and both teams perceived strength lies in their attacking capabilities. That's why i'll be backing the overs. 5 Pts on Over 2.5 @ 1.85 (All bets with Bet365) 2.5 Pts on Both Teams to Score @ 1.66 2.5 Pts on Over 3.5 @ 3.10 0.5 Pts on Melbourne Win 3-2 @ 34 GL:hope
Archie Thompson not in the squad. I changed that second bet to: 2.5 Pts on Second half highest scoring @ 2.10 GL:ok

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan Wellington v Adelaide. Im going for Wellington to finally beat Adelaide on Saturday morning and break the streak of no wins in 8 games against Adelaide. Adelaide have been forced to bring in 3 national youth players due to injuries to Alemao, Cassio, Mark Rudan, Mark Birighitti and Paul Reid. Lloyd Owusu is also missing as he is in China having a trial with a Super League club. This points towards a home win for me.

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan Brisbane v Sydney I'm going for a lay of Brisbane (3.4) in this one. I'm not convinced that Sydney will get the win here. Even though they are unbeaten in their last 4 away games 2 of those games ended in 0-0 draws and with Brisbane needing to win to stand any chance of making the finals im going to cover myself and lay Brisbane at what i believe to be a good price.

Wellington v Adelaide. Im going for Wellington to finally beat Adelaide on Saturday morning and break the streak of no wins in 8 games against Adelaide. Adelaide have been forced to bring in 3 national youth players due to injuries to Alemao, Cassio, Mark Rudan, Mark Birighitti and Paul Reid. Lloyd Owusu is also missing as he is in China having a trial with a Super League club. This points towards a home win for me.
See, the only thing that puts me off is that fact that although it's techincally a home game for Wellingoton, it's not actually being palyed in wellington. Instead it's being played in Christchurch. Home support is very important for wellington. In ten league games this season they are unbeaten at home. I've taken them at 1.92, but have some doubts about the home advantage

See, the only thing that puts me off is that fact that although it's techincally a home game for Wellingoton, it's not actually being palyed in wellington. Instead it's being played in Christchurch. Home support is very important for wellington. In ten league games this season they are unbeaten at home. I've taken them at 1.92, but have some doubts about the home advantage
Didnt realise that they were playing in Christchurch, have they played many of their home games there??

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan Wellington @ 1.85 bet365 Wellington -1.5 @ 3.60 bet365 Next couple of games will decide whether Wellington make the semi finals or not. They should be determined to win this one given this situation but also the fact that Adelaide now know they cannot make these semi finals and that they will be focused on staying fit for the Asian Champions League. Adelaide do tend to struggle on the road and were soundly beaten 2-0 by Melbourne. They struggle to score while their defence is inconsistent. They also have several players out, and with a weakened squad, they are ripe for Wellington to take advantage of, with Ifill in particular, should use his experience to cause the Adelaide defence plenty of problems Sydney @ 2.25 bet365 Sydney -1.5 @ 4.60 bet365 A youthful Brisbane side that has purged their senior players will take on a Sydney side that has top spot in their sights with a win here. Brosque in particualr should cause the Brisbane defence problems while the midfield led by Corica will be looking to dominate and create. Sydney are coming off a good 3-1 away won over Newcastle while Brisbane drew 1-1 away to North Queensland, but hard to see the more experienced and talented Sydney side let this one slip with the opportunity to lead the competition with a win here Newcastle @ 2.70 bet365 Plenty of problems in the North Queensland side with the controversy surrouding the coach and their star player. This tends to effect the dynamics of the team and like the look of a Newcastle side, that has already beaten the fury twice this year, to take advantage of this. They will be looking to bounce back off their loss to Sydney last week and did beat Brisbane 2-0 in their last trip on the road to this state. Culina will have his team focused on winning once again

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan Sport Football (Australia) Event Perth Glory vs Central Coast Selection Perth Glory Strength 10/10 Date 31/01/2010 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.05 (Back) Reasoning Perth is the better team here.They play well on won land, having here 6 wins, 4 draws and 1 defeat.The other side, Central Coast away have 4 wins, 2 draws and 6 defeats, but last stages here they played modest, 1-2 with Gold Coast and 0-1 with Sydney and draw 1-1 with Adelaide.The guests are now on 8th place, without chances to catch the play-off.

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan History of Perth vs Central Coast Overall Perth 1 Draw 4 Central Coast 9 Perth Goals 10 Central Coast Goals 22 Leading Scorers Perth - Nikita Rukavystya 4 Central Coast - Stewart Petrie 3, John Hutchinson 3, Sasho Petrovski 2, Noel Spencer 2, Tom Pondeljak 2, Mile Jedinak 2 At ME Bank Stadium Perth 1 Draw 3 Central Coast 2 Perth Goals 7 Central Coast Goals 7 Recent Form Perth WDLWW Central Coast LLDDD Perth At Home WDWDW Central Coast Away WWLLD Season Situation Perth - A win tonight will see them move to fourth on the ladder at the conclusion of the weekend, with a two point buffer over Newcastle (game in hand due to the Townsville monsoon last night) and Wellington. It will also all but confirm their first finals appearance as they will be six points infront of Brisbane with two games to play and with a far superior for and against. A loss and they stay in danger of dropping out of the final 6. A draw opens up a massive opportunity for Newcastle to snare the final home final spot in 4th position and will keep a four point buffer over the Roar. Central Coast - An absolutely must win game for the Mariners, if they want to keep their finals hopes alive at the very least. Due to the Coast having a better f/a than the Glory, if they do win, they will move to 7th (on goal difference to Brisbane), and be three points behind the 6th place Glory with two matches to go. A loss will see the season definitely ending in two weekends time, whilst a draw pretty much offers the same situation, despite still being mathematically possible to make the playoffs. The run in Perth - Sydney (away), Brisbane (home) Central Coast - Newcastle (home), Wellington (away) Summary Despite the Mariners having the upper hand in previous encounters with Perth, with the Glory not having defeated the New South Welshmen in the past 10 matches, this really is the sort of game that the home team should be up for. It really is an old fashioned six pointer in East Perth tonight, with a finals spot confirmed for the Glory if they do snare the three points. Central Coast will travel across the Nullabor without Nigel Boogaard who has been suspended after practicing karate against Gold Coast last weekend, whilst Perth have been hit by some important outs, with captain Jacob Burns confirmed to miss by coach Dave Mitchell thanks to a hamstring injury, whilst Dan McBreen, Mile Strejovski and Tando Velaphi also in doubt. Having said that, Perth have ample depth with Adriano Pellegrino, Wayne Shroj and Scott Neville set to wear the purple and white. Prediction Depsite the injury worries, Perth should have the firepower and depth to see off the disappointing Mariners in todays match. Quite simply, they have too many options going forward, and the defence of Chris Coyne and Andy Todd should be good enough to see off the likes of Simon, Mrdja and Kwasnik. I have selected Perth straight out at $1.93 on Sportingbet earlier today, and they are now down to $1.87, whilst Central Coast are out to $4.00. The draw is $3.40. My speculative bet is Jamie Harnwell to score the opener, and Perth to win 2-0 at $72.00 Hoggy :drums

Re: Australia - A-League 29th-31st Jan Ins & Outs Perth - In: Vrteski, Pellegrino (both from bench), Neville; Shroj, Pearson (both to bench) Out: Velaphi, Burns, Sterjovski Central Coast - In: Crowell, McGlinchey (both from bench); Travis, Mallia (both to bench) Out: Boogaard, McAlister, Kwasnik (to bench) Line Ups Perth Vrteski Neville - Todd - C.Coyne - Sekulovski Pellegrino - J.Coyne - McGarry - Howarth McBreen - Jukic Subs - Pearson Harnwell Shroj Bulloch Central Coast Vukovic Clark - Doig - Wilkinson - Bojic Porter - Crowell - McGlinchey - Hutchinson Simon - Mrdja Subs - Redmayne Travis Kwasnik Mallia