Lingfield - Sat 16th Jan

3.40 Lingfield A really tight race this where they bet 5/1 the field but Mafeking, who missed his last engagement due to snow, is now raised sharply in class now back on the track. I think the class rise, coupled with the presence of front running Luberon, will count against him tomorrow, so I have looked for some each-way value. Richard Guest has been in great form and if his European Dream turns up (several horses from the yard missed engagements today due to snow) he could have chances off this mark. However, he isn't proven on polytrack and for that reason I'm on Baylini, who is long overdue a win in a race like this. A course and distance winner back in January two years ago she still runs credibly off this higher mark and at the start of last year she made the frame several times in handicaps as well as earning herself some black type when placed in two listed races. She has the benefit of a recent pipeopener at this track and although its possible she may need a few runs before hitting top gear, in such a tight race with no obvious winner I think she is worth a gamble. 12/1 Stan James, 2 pts EW.

Re: Lingfield - Sat 16th Jan 3.40 Lingfield 2 weeks in a row we have had 2 fascinating handicaps at lingfield! Luberon is a free going front runner, who has pulled far too hard for his own good lately and needs to sort himself out, if he can do that he is exctremely well handicapped 10lb lower than last win over this trip at kempton on polytrack and only 1lb higher than last win at york in 2008. Full toss continues to hold his form for another in form yard but holding his form is about all he is doing and is likely to find 1 or 2 a bit better handicapped again. Mafeking is another front runner and could get in a tussle with with Luberon and he tends to set his races up for a finisher and also creeping back up in the weights as a result of consistency. Rock ascot is a group1 winner in uruguay over further and over a mile. Finally back to his best when landing a handicap at Lingfield over a mile off a mark of 90, up 5lb for that and appeared to be going well at kempton over this trip until being basically pulled up last time, clearly had a problem but if back to his best again he should go well again. I too like like Baylini she often finds her form at this time of year and although winless for over 2 years now she is now dropping to a realistic mark having won off 86 and now running off 88 and has been placed off similar marks and run well enough after 177 days off the track hopefully will strip fitter and been kept in traning during another quiet spell to keep her fit and if she is she could go well sitting just behind the pace makers. 0.25pt e/w rock ascot 12/1 sj 0.5pt e/w baylini 12/1 sj

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.