Re:Aussie Corner

Guest mattsthebest

Guest mattsthebest

For those of you who aren't aware, I am from Australia and like most Australians I am a devoted, avid, adicted sports fanatic. We just love our sports downunder! So I have come to the decision that it is time to add alittle Aussie influence to this section of PL for those who might be interested in backing a few winners. Obviously I have no actual reputation as such, but I do regard myself to be a good judge when it comes to sports I get to regulary watch on TV. In conclusion the games that I will endeavour to discuss and provide information and tips for are the upcoming Super 12's, AFL, NRL and maybe alittle NBL, even though their season is coming to an end. Each week I plan to open a weekly thread to discuss the up and coming games in each league, so by all means if you have a tip, opinion, question or something of that sought, don't be too scared to ask.:cheers The AFL and NRL are not for a few more weeks, but Super 12's start this weekend.:D At the moment, for those who are interested, I'm strongly looking into the Auckland Blues chances away to the ACT Brumbies. With some key and experienced players lost to other teams or through injury, and ACT not always starting well at the beginning of the season, this may be a very good opportunity for Auckland to win and beat the handicap - currently around 8.5 - 9.5 pts. Auckland have mainly kept their side from last year, that is the side that makes up just about most of the New Zealand team, and so are IMO hugely favourable to take this one with relative ease. The ACT Brumbies home ground is not a place that you will find intimidating as the fans are situated so far away from the ground, and so this will certainly not favour ACT very much. For an early pick this looks to be very good value. Auckaland Blues -8.5pts Back with more information later...

Re: Re:Aussie Corner

The AFL and NRL are not for a few more weeks,
Where in Oz are you Matt? AFL pre-season starts tomorrow night....I know any sport can be a bit dodgy in the pre-season, but there WILL be 2 or 3 very good plays this weekend. Down in Tassie myself, and don't follow any of the Rugby codes, but will definately be here for any AFL support you are after. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts throughout the year. :cheers

Re:Aussie Corner Great Idea Matty, I'm from Melbourne and I suggest you all Lump on Richmond in tommorow nights opening Wizard Cup game. I got on at 1.65 with TAB Sportsbet and noticed Centrebet opened at 1.75 and are now 1.55... Thomas Roach will be playing his first game for the club so there will be plenty of emotion there and I beleive Richo is being rested.

Guest mattsthebest

Re:Queensland! So obviously I follow the Brisbane Lions, who this year have the chance to go for their fourth in a row! Thanks AFL for your generous salary concessions.:D (I'll say no more) Anyhow I was also looking at the games in the Wizard Cup, although only briefly as It can be tough knowing how well each team will play. Richmond do look good to beat the Bulldogs and when you consider Danny Frawley's comments of late, that he wants to win the Cup, you'd have to back his enthusiasm. I did think of betting on Fremantle to beat Essendon down at Lauceston, that was before I saw that they were the favourites to win! Hard to understand how the bookies came to that conclusion, unless of course Essendon are without some of their key players. I remember last year when Geelong beat Brisbane up in Cairns by about 4 pts or something around that. So maybe with Geelongs previous success at that venue they could upset a Port Adelaide side that will probably be favourites to win. But as I said it is hard to know which teams will show good pre-season form. Will be back with more ideas later.

matt Actually Matty, Freo and Essendon are playing in Darwin tommorow night, get on Freo to win comfortably in the muggy conditions. Hawthorn and Brisbane are playing in Launceston, the Hawks should should have no problems in overcoming a depleted Lions side.

Guest mattsthebest

Re:Wizard Cup Thanks for the info JohnZA.

Hawthorn and Brisbane are playing in Launceston, the Hawks should should have no problems in overcoming a depleted Lions side.
I suppose that helps to explain why Hawthorn are favourites going into the Wizard Cup and Brisbane such long odds (13.00). But I won't be jumping on Hawthorn at odds around 6.00, as they can never be trusted in my books. Maybe if they became a bit more consistent and stopped worrying about their hair and pretty boy looks. Kind of reminds me of the mid 90's when Liverpool had the spice boys!

Re: Re:Wizard Cup Impossible to bet on who will win the Wizard Cup, because no venues have been announced for any games passed the first round. Fremantle 1.70 Since 2000 when Essendon won the pre-season cup, they have not won a single game! They have lost 7 straight games at an average of 39 points! This can be directly attributed to coach Kevin Sheedy who simply doesn’t care much for these type of games. He constantly experiments by playing players out of positions and likes to have a look at some of his fringe players. Fremantle’s record isn’t great either winning only 3 of their last 6 games, but the last of those victories was over Essendon, by 33 points at home. This game will be played in Darwin and this will definitely favour Freo as the game will be played in very warm and humid conditions. Fremantle will be looking to follow on from last years good form and everything favours them to win.

Rugby League Looking forward to the start of both our Superleague and the NRL seasons, have found the last few seasons more enjoyable as a viewer than a punter (got a few matches spectacularly wrong), although the Sky NRL coverage on TV in the Uk is normally 'as live' rather than live. With more bookies starting to bet on totals for games, will look forward to some weather info if poss. :ok Gonna hopefully put something up tomorrow for Bradford /Wigan.

Re: Rugby League Team news for Bradford v Wigan World club champions Bradford Bulls must make one change from the side that beat Penrith Panthers. Loose forward Logan Swann will have to wait for his Super League debut after injuring his knee, so Jamie Langley comes in. Former Warrington and Hull centre will make his first Bulls appearance after being selected on the bench. Bulls are still without injured captain Robbie Paul and scrum-half Paul Deacon so Karl Pratt and Leon Pryce are set to continue in the half-back positions. Injury-hit Wigan Warriors are forced to make four changes from the team who lost last year's Grand Final to the Bulls. Captain Andy Farrell joins Mick Cassidy, David Hodgson and Adrian Lam on the injured list while Paul Johnson has left the JJB Stadium to join the Bulls. But prop Quentin Pongia has recovered from a back injury and will start while loose forward Stephen Wild is swtiched to the centres. Great Britain full back Kris Radlinski takes over as captain in Farrell's absence and former Castleford stand-off Danny Orr will make his debut. I think Wigan are getting +14.....:ok Might have a few quid on them.....bookies are making wigan third faves to win "Super League" Still think Wigan have a decent side and should win with the handicap.......:b

Guest mattsthebest

Re:Bulldogs v Richmond I have just been watching the Bulldogs v NT Rep. side on the Fox Footy channel, and they look awful in their forward line - lacking ideas and any real structure. If the Bulldogs play like this against Richmond tommorrow night I can hardly see where their scoring options will come from. Maybe they'll just have to bomb it in from 50 metres and hope they score 9 pts. I also wouldn't expect to see much from their no. 1 draft pick Cooney, as he will probably take a while to adjust to the pace. My only real concern would be where the goals will come from for Richmond, that is if Richo is out. So starting the season at 100pts (units) and will post picks and record my return for those to follow. Would suggest anyone interested in Australian sports join in.:cheers 10pts Richmond to Win @ 1.60 betfair Bank = 90pts 1pt Queensland Reds to Win @ 3.75 betfair Bank = 89pts: ok

Settle Matt! Yes the Bulldog forward line didn't function all that well in Darwin, but did you happen to notice the conditions!!! It rained constantly ALL game and the ground was more like a bath than a football ground. They did have 7 more scoring shots and most of their 'senior' players came off at half time! DO NOT read anything into that game. While I still do think Richmond should get up, it will be a very even game and at odds of 1.60 not appealing at all....Especially when Freo are 1.70!! Much, MUCH better bet.

Guest mattsthebest

Re:Available Players... If anyone is interested here is a list of all the teams and their players available for the Wizard Cup games Round 1. It is more than likely that alot of the bigger clubs will choose to rest some of their star players as to protect them before the season starts. www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/19/1077072778519.html

Guest tailsgod

Re: Aussie Corner Excellent idea Mat. I'm in Canberra and follow Port. Will be having a decent bet on the Roos to win tommorrow, leaving Freo alone tonight as I don't trust them on the road and a flutter on the Tigers beating the margin tonight. Cheers & goodluck all.

Guest mattsthebest

Updating... Ok, nice little start to the season, but nothing spectacular, as I feel my way through each competition. Richmond Won + 6 units:D Queensland Lost - 1 unit:b Bank = 105.00 units Have quickly learnt a valuable lesson about Australian Super 12 sides playing in New Zealand, they never win! I have a question for winrew in particular, but anyone can answer it if they know the answer. Why is St.Helens such huge favourites to beat Hull so early in the season? St.Helens did beat Hull at home last year by 10, but Hull beat them convincingly twice when they played at home.

Good show! Nice start Matt. Very upset with Freo. Dominated possession, were clearly fitter but their ball handling let them down badly. Anyway....moving on.... Kangaroos 1.60 The Kangaroos are a team that play 100% no matter what the circumstance. They have won 15 of their last 20 pre-season games and certainly take them seriously. Melbourne, on the other hand, have won only 2 of their last 10 games, including a 13 point loss to the Kangaroos last year. This game will be played at Canberra though (Kangaroos’ second home) where they have won 7 of the 9 games they have played. I expect the ‘Roos to be too strong again here.

Saints v Hull FC Matt dunno whether this helps: Got this from the Hull FC website “The Saints have a domineering record over Hull FC since the Black and Whites were promoted into the top flight at the end of 1997. In fifteen meetings from 1998 to this present day, the lads from Merseyside have recorded twelve victories with the Airlie Birds just three. However, two of those three wins for Hull FC occurred last season at the KC Stadium. It finished 30 - 6 on Monday 26 May and 42 - 18 on Sunday 24 August. As for the clash at Knowsley Road on Saturday 9 August, that finished 28 - 18 in favour of the hosts” Hull have 8 players out, Jason Smith being the best of them. Even though Saints had a bad season by their own standards last season, they were still pretty strong at home, only the defeat by Wakefield would be seen as a shock. If think wit these early round matches the reputations of sides count for much with the compilers.

Guest mattsthebest

Re:above... Thanks for the info 2damnhype. TazaD, I'm with you this time on the Kangaroos as I am well aware of the way the Kangaroos play every game. I got first hand experience when I backed the Crows to beat the Roos last season, when Crows were at home. The Roos played smart footy in the rain and played with a greater intencity, even though they had nothing to play for. Got burnt badly and learnt the lesson. Too bad about Freo, as they did seem to deserve to win but were often sloppy with the ball, and seemd incapable of taking simple marks.

Guest mattsthebest

Re:Super 12's Ok, my first pick for today will be on the Crusaders, as their forward pack, that of New Zealand looks very strong as usual and should out muscle the Waratahs. I'm not entirely confident that this game won't be close, as out wide they are not the most skillful for the Crusaders, but are effective. 20 pts Crusaders Win @ 1.35 Betfair Bank = 85 pts Also I know I mentioned that I would be playing on the Auckland Blues, away to the Brumbies, but at the moment that game is on hold. Comments coming out of the Brumbies camp suggest that they will try to adopt the same tactics as the Wallabies did at the World Cup, by closing down Carlos Spencer. In contrast the Auckland Blues will be trying to make up for that loss! Stay tuned.

Guest Citizen Kane

Rugby Union My contributions on Rugby Union for the weekend. Chiefs to beat Hurricanes @ 2.50 I really like the look of this game with the Chiefs at home and dodgy weather forcast. Chiefs perennial problem has been in the tight five but with Tom Willis, Simms Davidson, Deacon Manu added this season to compliment Keith Robinson and Dave Duley I believe they will front up well in this department. The Hurricanes base their game around throwing the ball and by picking Rikki Flutey at 1st five have indicated this season won't be any different. With the Hurricanes pack still looking weak I will be taking the Chiefs outright and covering the bet on the margin +4.5. ACT v Blues/Crusaders v NSW Agree with Matt but have taken the Blues -8.5 and Crusaders -8.5 in a double. Can't see the crusaders losing at home and the Blues are looking very strong this year. Six Nations Taken a double Wales +9.5/France -34.5. Wales were impressive last week and I quite fancy them to beat Ireland so will play safe and take the +9.5. France should beat Italy comfortably but am unsure about the spread. I've taken -34.5 as I believe this is more likely than Italy +34.5 to amke up the double. Good luck to all and am looking forward to the threads analysis on the AFL as I'm a newbie to this sport so will be interested in any betting value identified.

Guest mattsthebest

Re:Chiefs v Hurricanes Can't agree with you on this one Citizen Kane, as I see both forward packs as being evenly balanced with maybe a slight edge to the Chiefs. But beyond the no.7 position Hurricanes have far more talent, and in the end this should give them the win. But you never know at such an early stage as anything can really happen. But I really didn't like the Chiefs pre-season form. Good Luck anyhow.