Academy Awards

Guest pompeybelle

Guest pompeybelle
Full nominations listed here Ladbrokes have priced Seabiscuit at 100/1. This is fecking absurd and everybody should have a token quid (or more, like me). I dont think Lord of the Ring will get it (Chicago beat it, ffs) and believe it will be snubbed again, although Jackson should pick up Best Director. Best Actor - already tipped and backed Bill Murray (legend) at 9/1 (currently evs mark) and is a 2 horse race with Sean Penn for Mystic River. Best Actress - Naomi Watts is a nice price at 10/1 with Coral and the awards so far this season are split between Watts and Charlize Theron for Monster.

Oscars Gotta agree...Lord of the Rings WILL win Best Film...1/3 says it all.. The Academy have been saving the plaudits until the trilogy has completed and then they'll be giving the film every oscar going... Must admit that Johnny Depp looks interesting for Best Actor for Pirates of the Caribbean..20/1 !

Re: Academy Awards Being a longtime poster on an awards website's forum (and generally being the only fella over there to post anything about betting in general), this year looks less volatile than last year. The trick of following the guilds (the SAG, the DGA, the PGA and the WGA as well as various others) and what they awarded back-fired heavily last year for me as I personally went 0-for-4 (I backed The Hours for Best Adapted Screenplay, Renee Zellweger for Best Actress, Christopher Walken for Best Supporting Actor and Rob Marshall AND Martin Scorsese for Best Director!). This year in which has seen many an award show buckle under the pressure of rewarding the Lord of the Rings franchise suggests that the Academy Awards should follow suit and finally reward it in it's last outing. Looking at the odds for ALL the categories over at The Greek/Olympic, I agree with them....it looks to be a very predictable night and the chalk involved on some of these lines are horrendous. Some of the potential winners don't look invincible (Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Charlize Theron and Renee Zellweger for example) but it certainly looks inevitable until otherwise. ....with such a close timeframe involved though, the guilds should for once be some kind of accurate barometer this time around.

Guest Mr Bookie Buster

Re: Academy Awards I for one can't believe that Cold Mountain could ever win anything. I love epic films, but this was just terrible in every way.

Academy Awards. I always like to have a wee dabble on The Oscars. It's hard to pick, sometimes, because The Academy voters are often politically based , etc, so here's my thoughts on possible winners and any 'outside influences' that may affect the votes ........ Best Actor: I thought Johnny Depp was superb but it's harder to win for a comedic role. So, I'm going for Bill Murray 'cos I'd expect the Academy to take note of his skillfully playing against type; with a subtle and engaging performance imo. Best Actress: Charlize Theron or Diane Keaton. Slightly favouring Keaton but very close to call here. Keaton is old and went nude ... That might be enough to win. ;) Best Supporting Actor: Awarding Robbins would carry political connotations that, I think, effectively rule him out of the running. Del Toro was a winner 3 years ago so Alec Baldwin for 'The Cooler' is the one for me here. Best Supporting Actress: No idea. Zellweger if only because she missed out on an ward for Chicago last time. Holly Hunter should be in with a decent shout for her performance in 'Thirteen' though. Best Director: Meirelles isn't nominated for 'Best Picture' so that rules him out of the running here IMO. This is Weir's 5th nomination and he has never won before; and I don't think he will here. I'd disregard Eastwood (he won with 'Unforgiven' and that was a better film than 'Mystic River.') It all comes down to Coppola and Jackson. Hollywood loves 'family' so there is a temptation for the first father-daughter Best Director team. It may well come down to LOTR and 'Lost in Translation' sharing the Picture and Director awards. Best Picture: LOTR or Translation only, here. 'Lost in Translation' was the better film imo although ROTK was impressive to look at. 'Master and Commander' gets ruled out because a Russell Crowe historical epic won 3 years ago. Mystic River gets omitted 'cos Clint already has a Best Picture award. 'Seabiscuit' is interesting at that price; as Pompey said. The Academy might like "The heartwarming story of dysfunctional men and the horse that brought them together." This could be a dark-horse (sorry) for 'Rainman' type reasons. My probable (not finalised yet) bets: (B365.) Picture: Lost in Translation @ 6.00. (I could never bet on LOTR.) Actor: Bill Murray @ 2.37. Depp is VALUE, if I've ever seen it, at 26.00. Actress: Diane Keaton @4.50. 1.33 for Theron is far too short imo. Director: Jackson @ 1.28. Too short odds for me though. Coppola is 4.50. Supporting Actor: Baldwin @ 5.50. Supporting Actress: Zelleweger too short @ 1.40 but Holly Hunter @ 8.00 has value appeal to me.

Re: Academy Awards. Johnny Depp has got a chance, Pirates of the Caribean has gone down alot better than expected, they are even making a second one. Although he is obviously not the favourite, the oscars have thrown up some strange ones over the years. I thought i was gonna be a crap film, he stole the show, and i enjoyed it alot. As for best picture, backing against L of R's is surely a no go. They should clean up most of their nominations this time.

Guest highlander

Re: Academy Awards. never bet on these before. on WH website it gives prices 'uptil 31 jan'. are the awards being done sunday? if not then does anyone know when please.

Re: Coppola

If you're interested, Blue Square have Coppola at 6/1 Best Director.
Nice. That'll do for me, Pompey. I'll be on that one and have just made my bets on Murray and Keaton.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pompeybelle

Re: Academy Awards Can appreciate the point that Mereilles has, rather scandalously, not been nominated for Best Picture but my heart has ruled my head and I've had a few quid on Best Director at 33/1. I'm still p1ssed off for missing Polanski at 20/1 on the night so hope history will not repeat itself.

Guest pompeybelle

BAFTAS Ring a Ding Ding. Lost in Translation picked up both acting awards so hopefully that bodes well for the Oscars. LOTR got best pic, the bastids >:

Guest pompeybelle

Academy Awards I'm surprised LOTR got a cinematography BAFTA as its mainly CGI but its picked up most audience awards. I hope Peter Weir is a sign that Jackson will not get director Oscar - he should be given a special achievement one in recognition of all three films, but thats not gonna happen is it.

Guest pompeybelle

Academy Awards Johnny Depp and his Keith Richards impression picks up the Screen Actors and his odds plumet from 33s to 4s in a place. Remember the last time this happened was with Roberto Benigni for Life is Beautiful, when he duly walked away with the top prize. Depp is a wonderful actor and derserves it more for his body of work as this film (as did Pacino when winning for Scent of a Woman). Just hope he fails miserably this year as my cash is elsewhere. Pretty predictable elsewhere with Charlize Theron, Renne Zelwegger, Tim Robbins picking up the prizes.

Re: Academy Awards

Just hope he fails miserably this year as my cash is elsewhere.
Mine isn't :) -- glad I got on at 26.00 now. Still think Murray is the winner here though and the 26.00 on Depp was just to a small stake with the main bet on Bill Murray. Still got a hopeful feeling for Keaton also. Let's all hope LOTR wins sod all though. Pompey, don't you think an award for Penn is far more unlikely than the odds suggest due to his ant-war campaigning? Similar reasons make Robbins a bad bet also IMO.

Guest pompeybelle

Re: Academy Awards Sean Penn is wonderful and I'm a big fan - did you see I Am Sam Raven? Sentimental weepy it may have been but he was wonderful. His political stance does not bode well with the Academy - they like their heroes all American. Tim Robbins the same - look at the controversy with Michael Moore last year:lol Having said that, Polanski won last year with a mixed reception from the audience so maybe they are wising up. If anybody should be subject to a protest vote its Polanski. Bill Murray does not show up for awards shows so if he turns up it could be a sign - the winnign speech would be one to savour :lol . I've a fair bit on at 9/1 and took your advice and had a small bet on Coppola at 6/1 for director. Time will tell.