Aussie Corner 28/29 Feb04

Guest JohnZA

AFL Wizard Cup My picks for this weekends games: MELBOURNE - West Coast (Telstra Dome - Friday 7.40pm): Melbourne have one of the best records playing at TD, they have won 8 of the last 10 matches there. They are taking the wizard cup seriously and so i'll be putting my money on them to win this game. This is the value bet of the 4 matches CARLTON - Geelong (Optus Oval - Saturday 2.10pm): Optus Oval is the the home of Carlton.Geelong have won 7 of the last 10 matches played at that ground where as Carlton have only won 1 of their last 10 matches there. But there is a bit of a buzz going around Carlton after their impressive win last week against Sydney. I'm slightly favouring Carlton here as I believe Pagan has finally got them playing the way he wants them too, kick it long and straight down the guts. So Carlton for me here. ESSENDON - Brisbane (Telstra Dome - Saturday 7.40pm): There is fierce rivalry between these 2 clubs. Brisbane have been dealt a major blow with the loss of Jonathan Brown and still several senior players out with injury. Essendon supporters will fill the stadium with as much as 45,000 expected to turn up. Based on the home crowd advantage and injuries to key Brisbane players, then my pick will definitely have to be ESSENDON. St Kilda - Richmond (Telstra Dome - Sunday 5.10pm) : Richmond get back 2 star players this weekend, their champion forward Matthew Richardson and their All Australian (2001) Full Back Darren Gaspar. These 2 inclusions are huge for the Richmond Football Club. the saints loose Hudgton and Kositske to injury. This a close one to call and is a no bet for me on a head to head basis. Plus I follow Richmond and hate betting against them. My bets for this weekend are: Bank : 100 units Head to Head: Melbourne 2.3, bet 20 units Carlton 1.87, bet 10 units Essendon 1.70, bet 10 units Pick 4 : Melbourne-Carlton-Essendon-St Kilda 14.0, bet 5 units Melbourne-Carlton-Essendon-Richmond 15.0, bet 5 units

Guest mattsthebest

Re:The above... Like all your picks johnZA. I think it might be worth taking a punt on Carlton to get into the top 8 this year. Pagan has had a whole year to sought things out at Carlton and has the record and pedigree to take a decent side the distance. The only serious worry is probably where all the goals will come from this season.

Aussie Corner 28/29 Feb04 To be honest, I think Carlton have no chance in making the 8. There are 3 other marginally better teams that finished outside the 8 last year that have a better chance of finishing inside the 8 this year. They are St Kilda, Hawthorn and Richmond. Now, for those 3 sides to make it, 3 have to drop out from last year. Those 3 I beleive will be Adelaide (due to their ageing list), Fremantle (1 season wonders) and I reckon Collingwood will struggle with injuries this year, they have had a dream run with injuries these last 2 years and are due for some bad ones, every club has them in cycles. The other team to drop I feel will be Sydney due to the fact that they have no depth as was witnessed last week against Carlton. My Likely Top 8 1. Brisbane 2. West Coast 3. Essendon 4. Hawthorn 5. St Kilda 6. Port Adelaide 7. Richmond 8. Collingwood -------------------------------- 9. Adelaide 10. Sydney 11. Melbourne 12. Fremantle 13. Carlton 14. Geelong 15. Western Bulldogs 16. Kangaroos Anyway, these are just my thoughts. Last year I had Sydney finishing last, yet they nearly made it into the grand final.

Aussie Corner 28/29 Feb04 Starting Bank : 100 Units Melbourne Won 46 Units Carlton Lost Eseedon Won 17 Units Pick 4s Lost 50 Units placed on Bets 63 Units Won Profit 13 Units New Bank 113 Units unlucky with Carlton