Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) 3 for me tonight: Kirk Shepherd (+3.5) to beat Kevin Painter 3pts @ Evs Betfred The Artist looked good in his first match but since then has disappointed me. Shepherd has bettered Painters average in their last 2 group games so shows he's in decent nick. Also finished really well against Maish after going behind early so I fancy this to be a lot closer than the bookies and will take Evens on him taking at least 7 legs off Painter. Phil Taylor (-5.5) to beat Colin Lloyd 3pts @ 5/6 SportingBet Missed the same price at Laddies for -4.5 but I still think the Power will cover this. Will be motivated to put on a real show after losing heavily to Van Der Voort in his final group game. Taylor will come out strong and, if Lloyd falls behind early, I feel this could be a real landslide. The Power will want to signal his intentions now we are at the knockout stage and what better way to do it than to win at a canter, 10-4 or better. King v Barneveld, Over 10.5 180's 4pts @ 6/5 Stan James There is a 9.5 line but I'm confident there will plenty of maximums here. In the 9 legs they both played in the final group games, they covered this line between them. I expect this to go the distance so, with twice as many legs to go at, I expect them to do it again. Last on too so will be itching to get go, the crowd will be up for it and these heavy scorers could put on a real show.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Good luck again mate. 2 for me. 6pts P.Taylor (-5.5 legs) to beat C.Lloyd 5/6 Sportingbet I can't be having Colin Lloyd here. Historically down the years he's always been beaten by Taylor before he's even got to the venue let alone the stage and I see no reason why it won't be the same tonight. If there's ever a good time to play Taylor, it certainly isn't straight after he's been walloped so I expect Lloyd to run into one of Taylor's ridiculous averages tonight. Lloyd hasn't been great in this tournament and is only still here because Colin Osborne lost to Woods the other night but the fact he lost 2 matches in that group says enough to me. Taylor will win this. He'll win it easily too. I believe he'll do so without losing more than 4 legs. In fact, the 10-0 wouldn't surprise me and I might well cover that at 33/1 but either way I'm very keen on this handicap. 3pts M.King to beat R.Barneveld 11/8 Skybet Barney has played ok in patches but he just doesn't look all there on the stage at the minute. He'll have to be tonight though because he's got a real toughie. This match is usually a semi final and sometimes the distance helps Barney win them but the distance won't be a problem tonight. King is playing well. He's finishing strongly and his scoring isn't bad by any means. If Barney doesn't bring his A game up to the oche tonight King can capitalise and send him packing. I've just got a hunch here which is unlike me because normally I can't stand King. I think he'll win this game though at a fairly nice price.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4)

6pts P.Taylor (-5.5 legs) to beat C.Lloyd 5/6 Sportingbet I can't be having Colin Lloyd here. Historically down the years he's always been beaten by Taylor before he's even got to the venue let alone the stage and I see no reason why it won't be the same tonight. If there's ever a good time to play Taylor, it certainly isn't straight after he's been walloped so I expect Lloyd to run into one of Taylor's ridiculous averages tonight. Lloyd hasn't been great in this tournament and is only still here because Colin Osborne lost to Woods the other night but the fact he lost 2 matches in that group says enough to me. Taylor will win this. He'll win it easily too. I believe he'll do so without losing more than 4 legs. In fact, the 10-0 wouldn't surprise me and I might well cover that at 33/1 but either way I'm very keen on this handicap.
I have covered Taylor 10-0 and Taylor 10-1 at Betfred (33/1 and 16/1 respectively). I think Skybet's 14/1 and 8/1 are nearer the right price.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Two for me tonight. 3pts S.Whitlock (-2 legs) to beat S.Beaton 11/10 Stan James Simon Whitlock is a very solid player who scores consistently and can finish clinically. Steve Beaton came into the tournament with some fantastic form behind him but he's not shown any of it this week. This should be a decent game and should contain lots of high scoring but I think over the course of this distance Whitlock's consistency will be the key factor. Beaton can blow hot and cold in his matches and given that he hasn't shown us any of the form that got him to the final of the European Championship and as such into this tournament this week I'll take the steady Aussie to win this Ashes battle for the loss of no more than 7 legs. 5pts T.Jenkins vs J.Wade - Over 8.5 180's 4/5 Boylesports This looks like being a cracking game of darts. These two often produce good games and I expect it to go very close to the distance. 10-7 either way at least. Both are heavy scorers when they get going and this line looks very low. Wade has hit 9 180's this week and Jenkins 5 but we've seen in previous years here how they both raise their game once the silly best of 9 muck is out of the way. As I say I expect a quality game of darts tonight which will yield more than 8.5 180's.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) I fancy Highest Shot over 128.5 with BlueSq @ Evs. - 5pts. Whitlock is an excellent finisher and won the match against Hankey with a 146. With this extended format, potentially 19 legs, I would think we will see at least 1 finish over this.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Couldn't stay away!! 5pt profit so far today!! Whitlock with a cracking 138 finish! Nice handicap bet on Whitlock Kev! Fully with you on the 180's also. 1pt J.Wade 10-9 8/1 stanjames 1pt J.Wade 10-8 15/2 stanjames 1pt J.Wade 10-7 7/1 stanjames I know stanjames are still taking money on correct score many have stopped. Wade should edge this, he was clearly unhappy with the group format and should push on from here. He has form over Jenkins, winning 2 Major televised finals against him.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Wow... After some of the best 17 legs of darts i've seen for a long time... the crowd turn on Wade and hit him for six.... he was 9-8 up, I was almost counting the winnings! Great game though. I think Anderson's time in the PDC will bode well for this game against Waites who has less experience in front of crowds like this and matches like these. G.Anderson 10-7 Bet365 13/2 - 1pt G.Anderson 10-6 Boylesports 13/2 - 1pt

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) 9-7 up and Anderson doesn't even try because it wasn't his throw. Saving himself for the leg when he has the throw.... INFURIATING!! especially with money on 10 - 7... he'll wish he had now.... its just gone 9-9! Waites throwing first...

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) That night of darts couldn't have gone much better for me really. Both bets won and both outrights progressed from the other two matches. A Waites/Thornton double tomorrow will guarantee me 40pts :dude. Not impressed with whichever muppet has stuck Waites on 1st tomorrow though :wall.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) yeh well done on those 2 bets Kev. I was watching some of the first 2 games earlier, good call on the 180s in the Wade match. For me, I was surprised to see Anderson get KO'd tonight, I expected him to win fairly comfortably. Looks like you might have half a chance with Scott Waites, esp if he can keep his average in the late 90s

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Ta mate. Aye, I thought Waites had an outside chance because Anderson has always got a blow up on his doubles on TV in him but when the game started and the way Anderson was playing I gave Waites no chance. To comeback and win like he did was superb. I don't think Anderson gave Waites enough credit in his interview. I don't think he threw away, that 136 checkout from Waites shook him and once he levelled at 9-9 he threw a near perfect leg on his throw to see it out. If we consider Whitlock needed a 142 in the deciding leg to beat Waites in the group stages with Waites sitting pretty on a double this 1st 1/4 final should be close. The only doubt I'd have is as I said last night, some pillock has stuck it on 1st so can Waites deal with the emotional high and get up for this one in just over 12hrs. That will be tough for anyone let alone a BDO player who doesn't really encounter the external factors that comes with this tournament too often. One thing I do know is we're in for a seriously seriously good day of darts today :cow.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Most likely TV scheduling ruling the day. Today's quarter-final odds from Sky Bet: Simon Whitlock 8/13 vs. 6/5 Scott Waites Terry Jenkins 2/5 vs. 7/4 Robert Thornton Raymond van Barneveld 2/5 vs. 7/4 Kevin Painter Phil Taylor 1/16 vs. 8/1 Tony O'Shea

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Yeah it'll be the TV schedule for sure. I can understand why they want Taylor and Barney on tonight but Waites could've gone 2nd today. It may well make for better TV that way. Anyway the bottom line is he has to play whenever and he has to play well. If he does play well I think he can pick up his place in the semi finals.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Doesn't look like Waites has had any problems after last night. This will be a real close match. Obviously I'm not betting in either of this afternoon's matches but 2 for the opening game tonight. 3pts K.Painter to beat R.Barneveld 2/1 Bet365 5pts Over 15.5 180's 5/6 Skybet Kevin Painter has played some good darts this week and he should have beaten Barney in the group stages before being edged out 5-4. Barney hasn't looked his usual self but for 5 legs at the end of his match against King but he continues to churn out this negative stuff in his interviews whereas Painter oozes self belief. I think the 2/1 chalked up on Painter is well worth taking here because Barney has shown his concentration levels can drop over the longer formats in recent weeks. I think he's better suited to set play as well. Both are heavy scorers. They've hit 29 180's in the event so far. I think this will be a pretty close match and can't see either winning no worse than 16-12 either way so we'll have more than enough legs to get the required 16 180's here.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Going with my first and only bet in this event. Taylor v Van Barneveld - Highest Checkout Over 135.5 @ Evens Skybet Two top quality players on show here, you have to feel that the winner of this will go onto win the final and it could well be that this is the 'final'. Barney will have to take his chances and a high checkout is the way to do it, Taylor is Taylor and is always capable of producing high checkouts, I fancy a couple of high checkouts from these two this afternoon, with a possible 31 legs here even money looks a good shout.

Sport Darts
Event Terry Jenkins v Scott Waites
Selection Lay Scott Waites (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 22/11/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.72 (Lay)
Reasoning Waites had excellent run through and made a name for himself. Now though semi finals I think he will lose. Terry Jenkins is playing really well, I think as well as when he made several TV finals a few years ago. I think Jenkins better experience and slightly higher level will help him win and make another TV final.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Was looking at a couple of markets in this opening semi but as I said at the end of the Grand Prix, I'm not sure Barney believes he can beat Taylor anymore so I'll leave that semi alone. I'm effectively on Waites at 40/1 so I'll stick with that. If I wasn't on him already I'd be taking him at the price he is. He's averaged higher than Jenkins in both knockout matches and seems to be going from strength to strength. If the occasion doesn't get the better of him, and why should it? Then I think he can win that 2nd semi.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Ta mate :hope

Going with my first and only bet in this event. Taylor v Van Barneveld - Highest Checkout Over 135.5 @ Evens Skybet Two top quality players on show here, you have to feel that the winner of this will go onto win the final and it could well be that this is the 'final'. Barney will have to take his chances and a high checkout is the way to do it, Taylor is Taylor and is always capable of producing high checkouts, I fancy a couple of high checkouts from these two this afternoon, with a possible 31 legs here even money looks a good shout.
:clap:clap:clap

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) yeh nice 1 Spooner on that call Your totally spot on Kev, I don't think Barney thinks he can beat Taylor now, he just never seemd to show enough fight there. In a way, it's quite sad to see because the clashes between them used to be pretty close and exciting. Taylor is close to unbeatable over a long format now, even on an off day he'll have too much for anyone. The man has taken darts to a new level!

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Top shout on shot out Spooner... Ive had a bit of joy on those this tourney and was pleased to see Barney check out 148 when i flicked across from the cricket! Had it already been done by that point? Again, fully agree with Kev's assessment of both semi's... and having followed the 80/1 EW tip before the tourney started, there is no need to punt on this one.

Any idea which group won the Betfred most 180's? I know my tip didn't!!
Pretty certain it was Barney's group:ok Brilliant pick on Waites, Kev:notworthy. Let's be fair, he ain't going to beat the Power but you knew that Taylor was going to take the title when you made your bets and quite rightly stuck to the bottom half of the draw. A 40/1 winner mate, just bloody awesome:clap:clap:clap. You can enjoy the final tonight knowing that you have made huge profit in the tournament. Nice one on the checkout Spooner:clap. Just the one needed & just the one got I believe. Had to rely on Barney too:ok

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Ta guys, like Russ says I don't see Waites beating Taylor and never did but I'll take the 40/1 place money. Assuming Waites does lose, it's the 4th TV runner up I've had outright who has lost to Taylor in the final in 2009 after Thornton in the Players Championship finals at 33/1, Osborne in the UK Open at 40/1, Jenkins in the Matchplay at 40/1 and now Waites in this at 80/1 so it's been an excellent year for me with the outrights. Would just be nice if Taylor had let one of them win one :lol.

yeh nice 1 Spooner on that call Your totally spot on Kev, I don't think Barney thinks he can beat Taylor now, he just never seemd to show enough fight there. In a way, it's quite sad to see because the clashes between them used to be pretty close and exciting. Taylor is close to unbeatable over a long format now, even on an off day he'll have too much for anyone. The man has taken darts to a new level!
At no point did Barney look like he genuinely could beat Taylor in that did he? He can blame tiredness if he wants but that wasn't to blame in Dublin when he got done up. Taylor's world championship thrashing he gave to Barney has left a serious mental scar on him. It's hard to see where he can be beaten over a distance. Step forward James Wade and Gary Anderson I guess. If they can't do it nobody can :\.