Barry Geraghty

Re: Barry Geraghty The ride was a shocker, and he knew right away he done wrong. He shook his head when taking the wrong course, much out of frustration at himself I would guess. Should have known better. He will also feel he merits his ban, as he is one of the most honest down to earth jocks in the game. As for the idiots booing him, what can I say? They simply aren't racing fans!! They are speaking with their wallets.... True racing fans will appreciate that this sort of incident is a freak and Barry Geraghty is still one of the top jocks around, despite a shocking error.

Re: Barry Geraghty I have sympathy for Geraghty here. I was on the horse, and yes,it was a stupid mistake. However, he is a brilliant jockey and tbh, we all make mistakes. Is a 12 day ban fair, yes, I think it is and he will accept that. Guaranteed he will be more annoyed with himself than getting the ban. As for the idiots, I share the general opinion. Ridiculous.

Re: Barry Geraghty The Booing was not needed and looked more for the cameras benefit, I don't think his mistake merits any number of days being banned, Fair enough he made an error which resulted in his horse being out of contention and which probably gave backers a sickly feeling but all was needed was for him to apologise and let the man get on with his job.

Re: Barry Geraghty

The Booing was not needed and looked more for the cameras benefit' date=' I don't think his mistake merits any number of days being banned, Fair enough he made an error which resulted in his horse being out of contention and which probably gave backers a sickly feeling but all was needed was for him to apologise and let the man get on with his job.[/quote'] And he did that. I'm sure owners and trainer have forgiven him quite easily. Only public and authorities will punish him with booing and a ban. He cost me a lot of money today, but I can't fault him. He's one of the best jockeys out there. Anyone can make a mistake.

Re: Barry Geraghty I'm afraid to say he deserves his ban, its not the first time an Irish Jockey has failed to get to know an unfamiliar racecourse over here. Its unprofessional, simple as that. Its only harsh when something happens in a race that alters the course and its unexpected, like when they have to go inside or outside a fence when its damaged. I cant remember anyone going the wrong way at Wetherby before? Good of him to come and talk to the press afterwards though, takes some doing I imagine.

Admittedly he should have known better but surely that corner should have been dolled off or something personally it looked easy to do as they came round the bend just following the rail!
I thought the same tbh. Bad course design IMO. Obviously Geraghty should have known the course before the race like any normal jockey, but it did seem a bit too easy just to go right round. There was meant to be someone standing there to guide them as well according to RUK.

I have sympathy for Geraghty here. I was on the horse, and yes,it was a stupid mistake. However, he is a brilliant jockey and tbh, we all make mistakes. Is a 12 day ban fair, yes, I think it is and he will accept that. Guaranteed he will be more annoyed with himself than getting the ban. As for the idiots, I share the general opinion. Ridiculous.
Agree with all of these comments. Mrs McG, hearing me swearing at the TV, asked if I'd get my money back :lol. Those who booed him on his return, and continued to boo before the next race, were embarrassing. No better luck in the big race for me, with Ollie Magern getting caught by those 2 in the Charlie Hall - really cracking race though, that confirmed why NH racing is more thrilling than the Flat :ok

Re: Barry Geraghty denis o'regan did the same last year didnt he? Or was it him that rode a finish a circuit too soon. I feel sorry for the punters, as has been said above, he should know the course. Contrast that with the jockey that was one step ahead of his colleagues at cheltenham and legally cut a corner, think it was in a cross country race?