KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase Pipe is in grand form and off just 11st Tamarinbleu will run a big race imo. Ground is not an issue and he's unexposed over 3m. Can't see him going to ascot to run off top weight conceding it to many unexposed types. Will he be a value for Wetherby? Vying for favorism already :\

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase In JTW's post listing all of the past winners it seems the winning trainers often occur in pairs, which, albeit coincidental, bodes well for the Evan Williams pair. Like others have said, I'm not that sure Deep Purple will stay, and I don't think he is worth risking at that price anyway. There seems to be plenty of pace on, I agree with the previous posts on this point. Ollie Magern, Tamarinbleu, Just Amazing or Deep Purple could set the pace, so it looks as if the likes of Darkness, What a Friend and Mr Robert will get a pace to chase. What A Friend hasn't beaten much in novices chases and when he did run in decent company in the RSA he was sixth. He had previously acted at the track so that run cannot be explained by coming unstuck up the hill. I always think of Darkness as a dour stayer and although he has often hinted he will be suited by a thorough test of stamina, his record beyond 25f isnt actually that great. His Newbury win aside, he pulled up in the Welsh and Scottish Nationals and finished 13th at Aintree, so actually he may be better over this sort of trip, where his completion rate seems stronger. His record over fences is 5-11, he won a couple of Graded races as a novice and in his Newbury win he gave weight and a beating to Church Island. I suppose he lacks the prestigious wins of Ollie Magern, Tamarinbleu and Snoopy Loopy, but he is sort of a half-way house between that type of runner and the likes of Deep Purple and What A Friend who undoubtedly have more to offer but are stepping into much tougher company. Darkness has at least some experience up against horses that compete at this level. He is also entered in the listed chase at Ascot but if he swerves that and comes to Yorkshire I think he'll be the one I back as the other one likely to get the race run to suit, Mr Robert, hasn't won a chase for a few years now and has a bit more to prove. Hopefully he is declared later today.....

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase Final decs, 5 runners, Nicholls swerves the race completely

No. FormHorseAgeWtTrainerJockeyORNagMe
1 20262.GIF27PP5-PSnoopy Loopy (IRE) 64 1111-10 p P Bowen S E Durack 154 nag.gif
2 411.GIF1P2121-Deep Purple 196 811-5 Evan Williams Paul Moloney 151 nag.gif
3 7989.GIF24-0025Church Island (IRE) 20 d.gif1011-4 b M Hourigan B J Geraghty 144 nag.gif
4 590.GIF5558F2-Ollie Magern 191 cd.gif1111-0 N A Twiston-Davies P J Brennan 149 nag.gif
5 1353.GIF73/2837-Tamarinbleu (FR) 218 911-0 b D Pipe T Scudamore 161 nag.gif

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase Personally i am sticking with Pipes Tamarinbleu Its 1st time up record isnt too shabby 08 - 2nd 0.5L to Snoopy Loopy over 3m at Haydock G/S 07 - 1st at Cheltenham Grade 3 chase over 2m 5f Good 06 - 6th 10L to Exotic Dancer in the Paddy Power chase 2m 4f at Cheltenham G/S 05 - 2nd Btn shd at Cheltenham over 2m Nov chase G/S 04 - 1st Hcap hurdle at Sandown over 2m G/S 03 - 1st nov hrdle at Ascot over 2m Good I think the credentials are there, the fast pace should suit as the horse wont need to lead this time round. The horse has never fallen in 29 races (28 completed, 1 pulled up) Gets weight from 3 others in the race & Ollie Magern is on the downgrade although that horses course record has to be admired. Snoopy loopy & Church island need cut in the ground & Deep Purple may not stay. Leaves one for me - Tamarinbleu 9/4 is the bst price around at the moment but will see what the other bookies post up

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase Tamarinbleu @ 9/4 Best Odds Guaranteed Here comes my first banker of the jumps season. I wasn't sure if Pipe will choose this race with the horse declared for the Ascot handicap as well. Missed the bigger price, but couldn't risk him not lining up here. From the five runners I think Church Island has no chance. Snoopy Loopy had a break and might come good, but is 11 now and looked on the downgrade last season. Needs a bit of cut as well and quick ground won't suit. He's a battler though, so I may have a saver tomorrow depending on what mood I am in and if price has gone up a bit. From the 3 market leaders I think Ollie Magern will run his usual nice race, but is old now and I am not sure he can make all to win. And if they try to hold him up then he is litteraly fuckked. 3/1 is no value. I would have liked at least 5s against two classy types as Tamarinbleu and Deep Purple. Now the latter mentioned is a horse I absolutely adore. Good ground and fast pace is essential for him being with a chance of winning any race. I am just not sure he'll stay. Most of his winning has been done over 2m and last year at 2m4f. All his pedigree suggest he won't stay. 10/3? No thank you. Trainer has been in bad form as well. Sent some decent horses on the track lately and they did absolutely nothing. Cappa Bleu was awful last weekend. Finally Tamarinbleu. Ideal trip would probably be just like Deep Purple's 2m4f, but I think the Pipe runner is unexposed over 3 miles. Ran a fantasitc race last year to just be piped on the line by Snoopy Loopy when they both had Kauto Star under trouble. The main reason I am backing him is that he won't need to lead with Ollie Magern in the race and this will help him get home. There's noone better than Pipe getting them ready first time out and Tamarinbleu's record on seasonal reappearance is pretty good. Price is starting to shorten and has gone from 5/2 to almost 2/1 on Betfair. I think 9/4 could be a very decent value in the morning. We may see him start at 7/4 or thereabouts if my thoughts on the race are right. All in all the best horse in the race and gets weight from his rivals too. I have to be on him.

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase Weather - looks like some heavy showers overnight and rain due at the track around racetime so the going won't be as quick as first thought . I think it could be good all round come 2.55. Been taking a look at TAMARINDBEAU'S sire's winning progeny record over jumps and it's very similar to DEEP PURPLES sire in that the vast majority of the top 10 earners won between 16 -22f . Only 4 races were won at 23 - 25f . The 25f race was over in Italy and TAMARINDBEAU'S win over 3m was in a Perth Handicap where 8 of the 16 starters failed to finish and he was rated at least 21lbs higher than the next 4 behind him that day . What i'm basically saying is that if we are discounting the chance of DEEP PURPLE staying then there is a very large doubt in my mind that TAMARINDBEAU will stay the 25f as both sires produce mainly 2m to 2.5m horses . CHURCH ISLAND will surely need more rain than is forecast and a career best to win this ?? He will certainly be the fittest in the field but i cant see it happening unless there's trouble . SNOOPY LOOPY is well fancied by the stable [ see article above ] and he is back to a winning mark of 154 from a high of 168 last January . easing of the ground will help his cause as he has won 3 times on Good going . His form appeared to desert him at the end of last season but his last 5 races were G1 or 2 events with much stronger fields than he faces here . Something just niggles me about this one , along with the fact that Bowen has not had a winner in the past fortnight . So it has to be OLLIE MAGERN for me . His record after a 60+ day break is - 2,1,0,1,1,U,1,4,2. He has won this twice and his overall record at Wetherby is -1,1,1,2,5. He stays , he acts on G/S to G/F ground , I've no worries about the stable as they have had 4 winners and 19 placed from 50 runners in the past 14 days . Age is a worry but if he has only one more chance of winning a decent race then this has to be it !!! Take the 3/1 BOG .

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase Taken from the AT THE RACES website - Wetherby will miss Ollie Magern when he eventually bows out but the 11-year-old is back in West Yorkshire for another crack at the Bet365 Charlie Hall Chase. The last three victories for Roger Nicholls' gelding have been at Wetherby - the Towton and the Charlie Hall in 2005 and his most recent win in the track's feature event two years ago. The owner, who also bred the horse, said: "The ground shouldn't be a problem and I went to see him work on Tuesday. It went well, and they seem to be very happy with him." He added: "I've had the trophy at home twice. Some very good horses have won it but I haven't seen another horse on there who has won it three times. He knows his way around there and because he hasn't won for two years, he only has 11st on his back, rather than 11st 10lb like last year. "Nigel Twiston-Davies hasn't quite had the flying start he usually has, but he's still having winners. I'm quietly confident and I think he's going to be there or thereabouts.

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase superb race with Ollie Magern looking the winer til the last fence & the other 2 then found a 2nd wind. Deep Purple looked beat 3 out & the pipe horse just couldnt give anymore. Great finish though well done to those who stuck with Deep Purple, i think we put a few off with the trip concerns!!

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase Just got back in from a day out and was lucky to see the race . Thought OLLIE had the race in the bag until after the last and then age caught up with him , a bloody great run from the 11 yold never the less :clap:clap:clap If the first 2 manage to win another decent 3m+ race in their career then i'm a Celtic supporter :loon

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase

If the first 2 manage to win another decent 3m+ race in their career then i'm a Celtic supporter :loon
Deep Purple will no doubt be aimed at the Ryanair. I reckon he will run another race over 3m this season and I am confident he can improve on this run .

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase

Deep Purple will no doubt be aimed at the Ryanair. I reckon he will run another race over 3m this season and I am confident he can improve on this run .
I would lay him till the cows come home over 3m mate , he'll never get an easier race than todays over the distance ..

Re: KEY RACE: Wetherby Sat 31st October - CHARLIE HALL chase Saturday October 31 2009 i_rresult.gif Wetherby 14:55 - Result Bet365 Charlie Hall Chase (grade 2) £100000 added, 4yo plus, 3m 1f, Class 1, £57010 penalty, 5 ran Going: Good, Good to Firm in places Race Report » i_time.gif Winning Time: 6m 09.1s

Pos.Dist.HorseWtJockeyTrainerAgeSP
1 Deep Purple 11-5 Paul Moloney Evan Williams 89/2
tracked leader to 12th, remained close up, ridden and outpaced when not fluent 2 out, rallied to lead final 75 yards, just held on opened 7/2 touched 9/2
2 hdTamarinbleu (FR) 11-0 b T Scudamore D Pipe 92/1 f
tracked leaders, went 2nd 12th, challenged 4 out, ridden and outpaced 2 out, rallied and every chance final 75 yards, just failed opened 9/4 touched 9/4 £900-£400 (x14) £4250-£2000
3 1½Ollie Magern 11-0 P J Brennan N A Twiston-Davies 119/4
led, ridden and hard pressed from 4 out, stayed on to go 2 lengths clear last, tired and headed final 75 yards opened 5/2 touched 5/2 £5000-£2000 £4250-£2000
4 distChurch Island (IRE) 11-4 b B J Geraghty M Hourigan 105/1
held up in touch, dropped rear and reminders after 9th, mistake next, no danger after, tailed off opened 7/1 touched 7/1
PU Snoopy Loopy (IRE) 11-10 p S E Durack P Bowen 1112/1
in rear, reminders from 6th, struggling when blundered 11th, tailed off when pulled up before 3 out opened 8/1 touched 12/1
Tote Win: £4.70 Tote Place: £1.70,£2.00 Straight Forecast: £13.68 Exacta: £13.20 Placepot: £242.80 Pool:£72,452.38 217.75 winning tickets Quadpot: £28.60 Pool:£5,528.17 143.00 winning tickets