** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

There is only one Bart

...no not Simpson CUMMINGS :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy Viewed leads home one-two for Cummings BY NICHOLAS GODFREY6.13AM 17 OCT 2009 Report: Australia, Saturday Caulfield: BMW Caulfield Cup (Group 1 hcap) 1m4f, 3yo+ VIEWED led home a Caulfield Cup one-two for Australian legend Bart Cummings in Melbourne on Saturday, when neither of two well-fancied British runners was able to land a telling blow. Brilliantly ridden by Brad Rawiller, last year's Melbourne Cup winner Viewed took the A$2.5 million (£1.41m) feature by a comfortable two and a quarter lengths over stablemate Roman Emperor. Godolphin's Kirklees stayed on to finish seventh after racing in mid-division and turning wide into the straight under Kerrin McEvoy, while the Luca Cumani-trained Cima De Triomphe was well down the field in 13th position. But thisCaulfield Cup was all about one man: the amazing Bart Cummings, the 81-year-old ‘Cups King' who was winning the race for the seventh time, to add to his 12 Melbourne Cups and three Cox Plates. Viewed's success came 18 years after Cummings' previous Caulfield Cup win with Let's Elope in 1991 - and 43 after his first with Galilee in 1966. He has also scored with Big Philou (1969), Leilani (1974) and dual winner Ming Dynasty (1977 and 1980). Viewed, a six-year-old son of Scenic, overcame the twin burden of top-weight and a double-figure draw in gate 13 to record his first victory since the famous Flemington two-miler in November 2008. He will return there next month with high hopes of a repeat success. Sent off a 12-1 shot in local TAB betting, Viewed benefited from a charmed route on the inner under jockey Brad Rawiller, who took his mount across to the rails from his wide draw to settle towards the rear. Scraping paint throughout the 1m4f feature, Rawiller smuggled his mount up the rail to sit just off the lead after turning for home and then burst through a furlong out for a comfortable victory. Last season's AJC Derby winner Roman Emperor chased him home out wide ahead of Vigor and New Zealand-trained Daffodil, who completed the minor places. The 6-1 favourite Predatory Pricer could never get across from a wide draw and finished 12th. The runner-up was carrying Cummings' own colours. "I've been beaten by my own horse!" laughed Cummings, who was winning his 255th Group 1 race. "The run through on the fence assisted him a little bit - it was a great ride." Asked what it took to be successful in the Caulfield Cup, he dead-panned: "Just a good horse - a few of them." Rawiller was thrilled. "It doesn't get much better than this - not just to win your first Caulfield Cup, but to win it for Bart Cummings," said the rider. "Any Australian knows his name but in racing he's just folklore. "He's the greatest legend in racing and it's a great honour to be able to ride Viewed, to be given the chance today and do the job. I had a lot of confidence coming into this week - it's easy to do when you have Bart Cummings as the trainer." Reflecting on the race, Rawiller added: "With that gate it was always just imperative that we settled going towards the Melbourne Cup. "I just felt if we got caught deep in midfield he probably couldn't win today so I made sure he switched off. "He settled great. Down the back they pulled up to a crawl at one stage and though he was strong on the bit, I was pretty confident we weren't using that much.

Re: There is only one Bart I think he must be God in disguise :notworthy:notworthy Bart does it again in Cox Plate Who would have thought it? Maestro trainer Bart Cummings won his third Group One race in as many weeks when three-year-old So You Think led all the way to triumph in Saturday's $3 million Cox Plate (2,040m) at Moonee Valley. The three-year-old set a cracking pace and led the entire 2,040 metres before gaping the field in the final straight ahead of Manhattan Rain and grand campaigner Zipping. The victory followed wins by stablemates Allez Wonder in the Toorak Handicap and Viewed in last week's Caulfield Cup. In a surprise move, jockey Glen Boss took So You Think to the front when the colt began well and he had his rivals off the bit and chasing on the home turn. Manhattan Rain, the only other three-year-old in the race, settled second and battled on well to maintain his position while last year's runner-up Zipping came again after appearing beaten to grab third. Favourite Whobegotyou was near the rear throughout and never threatened. Cummings rated So You Think among the best horses he has trained and said he left tactics to Boss. "I said (to Boss) 'wherever he's happy put him' and now he's happy," Cummings said. So You Think's Cox Plate victory took Cummings' career tally of Group One wins to 256 and provided him with his fourth success in the race after Taj Rossi, who also won as a three-year-old in 1973, Saintly (1996) and Dane Ripper (1997). Boss, who wasted hard to ride So You Think at 49.5kg, stood in the saddle and saluted as he passed the post, then jumped into stable foreman Reg Fleming's arms when he dismounted and lauded Cummings, thanking him for the "absolute privilege" of riding for him. "What about Bart? Unbelievable," Boss said. "I had to pinch myself at the top of the straight, I just couldn't believe it." "He's just extraordinary, extraordinary, there's nothing else you can say." When asked what was Cummings' recipe for success, he could only find one ingredient. "He's just Bart, that's all, he's just Bart." Although Cummings continues to insist his secret is finding good horses, he let his guard slip slightly. "You can't buy experience and I've got a bit of that," he said. So You Think is only the fifth three-year-old to win the Cox Plate since Cummings' great Taj Rossi in 1973 and the first since Savabeel in 2004. With the form his horses are in, last week's Caulfield Cup winner Viewed is a fair bet to take his second successive Melbourne Cup and deliver a 13th triumph for Cummings in Australia's biggest race next month.

• 11 months later...

Re: There is only one Bart Another year another Cox Plate win :notworthy BY NICHOLAS GODFREY 7:45AM 23 OCT 2010 Report: Australia, Saturday Moonee Valley: Tatts WS Cox Plate (Group 1) 1m2f, turf, 3yo+ SO YOU THINK (Bart Cummings/Steven Arnold) joined the greats of Australian racing when he completed back-to-back victories in the Cox Plate on Saturday. Sent off a 1-2 shot, the four-year-old son of High Chaparral was the shortest-priced favourite for 40 years in Australasia's premier weight-for-age race. His supporters never really had a moment's concern. So You Think was always lobbing along just off the pace set by second favourite More Joyous -winner of her last eight for Gai Waterhouse - before being eased into the lead three furlongs out. After entering the short Moonee Valley straight three lengths clear, he comfortably held Zipping and Whobegotyou, who closed from the rear in the Aus$3million (#1.68m) event. So You Think joins thelikes of three-time winner Kingston Town, Phar Lap, Tobin Bronze, Sunline and Northerly as a multiple winner of the Cox Plate. Not for nothing is So You Think's legendary trainer Bart Cummings known as the ‘Cups King' - he is now considering stepping the horse up six furlongs for a crack at the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday week. "It looks like he will," said Cummings. "He's got a lot of ability and he seems to handle it sexily!" Jockey Steven Arnold, who partnered Scenic Blast to win the 2009 King's Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot, admitted it was a relief to have landed the biggest success of his career. "He was such a hot favourite," said the jockey. "I just wanted to let him show his best and not make any errors. "It's an unbelievable thrill. I was very calm, wasn't nervous at all but knew there was a lot of expectation on him - he's just a great horse."

Re: There is only one Bart Very kind barrier draw too, especially considering Shocking drew 24. Having got 5 of my antepost picks in the field I'd be quite annoyed with a So You Think victory, but right now it looks very likely I must say. Would much prefer Bart's other runner to win :hope Weather is still going to have a very big part to play though. There's 3-4 chances at the $15-$26 range that will benefit greatly from a slow or heavy track.