Olympics Swimming : Men's 200m Freestyle

I was thinking there's massive value on M Phelps on the outright market at 4.33(Hills) for the Men's 200m Freestyle. Thorpe(1.44) holds the world record at 1:44:06 set in Fukuoka back in 2001, while he generally clocks in the 1:45 region(for reference, www.athens2004.com/en/Swi...908_C51A). Phelps, on the other hand, clocks between the 1:45-1:46 region(his time at the US Olympic time trials was 1:46:47). What's of more importance is the fact the gap between Thorpe and Phelps has been bridged a great deal recently as their Qualifying Time for the Olympics stand at 1:45:07(Thorpe) and 1:45:99(Phelps) respectively. Having already smashed the 400m IM WR in his bid to become the first swimmer to notch 8 Gold Medals at a single Olympic Games, I supposed his morale and confidence would be on a par, if not better than Thorpe's. Hence, in a one-off race where anything can happen, it wouldn't really surprise me for Phelps to raise the level of the game that bit higher and 4.33 really is massive value. Any views on that? :)

Guest mattsthebest

Re: Olympics Swimming : Men's 200m Freestyle Have to agree with Dave here. IMO Van Den Hoogenband is value at odds of 6.00! He has beaten Thorpe and looked quite good in the heats. Being an Aussie I have the fortune of hearing the post swim interviews from all Australian swimmers, and Thorpe mentioned that he felt he needed to reserve alot of energy for his 4x100m relay swim tonight. That also means that he will not be the best qualifier in the semi's tonight. If that swim is slow, which Thorpe indicated it would be, I think we will see Thorpe's odds move out. Also you must look at the events that Phelps is swimming between now and the 200m final. It is not that easy to consistently swim at your best, no matter who you are. Just ask Thorpe how hard it is. :cheers

Guest mattsthebest

Re: Results of Heats So the final is tonight or early morning here down under. Everything has gone as previously mentioned above, and Van Den Hoogenband was great value at 6.00, now down to odds of 2.75 on the exchanges. I hope some people have followed me on this, because you can hedge your bets by backing Thorpe at odds of around 1.8+. I'm convinced that this race is only going to be won by Thorpe or Pieter. I would fancy Thorpe to avenge his loss in this event in 2000, but he will be tested by the speed of the dutchman. Pieter has shown great speed over 100m, especially in the 4x100m relay, and so it will be up to Thorpe to try to stay with Pieter in the first 100m and then hall him in over the last 50m. What we do know is that Thorpe has worked hard on his speed, an element of his style which has always been in question, so I do expect that Thorpe is far better prepared for this event then last Olympics. This is the event that Thorpe so desperately wants to win, for Pieter the 100m is his more fancied event, while winning the 200m would be a bonus.

Re: Results of Heats I'd gone with Phelps previously, but decided to lump a bit on Thorpe at 1.90 on the exchanges as I feel he's the man to beat, based on the information I'd sieved out over the past 48 hours or so... Glad to see so many people plumming for Peter though as that has inadvertently pumped up the price for Thorpe(who was as low as 1.44 some 72 hours ago) - I really believe he'll edge out Peter this time...