Olympics - Tonights Swimming events

Guest mattsthebest

Guest mattsthebest

200m Butterly Men's Final Phelps at odds of 1.12 on the exchanges and really not worth backing. He is an absolute certainty to win this event, no one can get close to catching Phelps. The only question is can he break his own WR? We'll see, but I doubt it. 4x200m Men's Relay Final Australia are favourites at odds of 1.40+, but I dont fancy them to win this, and wouldn't back them at such short odds. They are the WR holders and have the best 200m swimmer in Ian Thorpe, but remember that this is a relay, and so it is reliant on the overall strength of your team. IMO the American's have a better team and support to their 2 excellent 200m swimmers, where as Australia have Ian Thorpe and Grant Hackett, but beyond this it is pretty short of form swimmers. America seem to have a better overall team, and I think they can take this, with Phelps just beating Thorpe in the final leg. America can be backed @ 3.2+ Women's 200m Freestyle Final This event looks very open to me. I really don't see anyone as being a strong favourite. The Italian girl Pellegrini has swum fastest here and her semi final time is the quickest that any girl in the final has been this year. Maybe there is some value in the German girl Van Almsick, as she does hold the WR and maybe able to find something for the final. The only problem is she hasn't shown her WR form of 2002, or anywhere near to it. Probably best to avoid this one, unless you know more than I do. Also the Italian girl Pellegrini is only 16 so it is hard to know how she will respond to the pressure of being the favourite. Almsick @ 7.4

Men's 4X200m Relay Final Matt, are we on the same planet? From what I can gather, none of Thorpe, Hackett and Phelps are involved at all. Based on the timings of the heats, the USA(7:12.80) has already beaten Australia(7:14.85). Hence, there definitely is value on Australia here. For the record, the teams that took part in the heats are Goldblatt, Lochte, Ketchum, Vanderkaay(representing USA) and Pearson, Matkovich, Sprenger and Stevens(representing Australia). If we're discussing about the same event, here're the stats : www.athens2004.com/en/Swi...2902_C73A1 and www.athens2004.com/en/Swi...2901_C73B1

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.