Account total and trading on exchange

Pompano

Hi, I have a question about how much money is needed to perform a trade on the same exchange vs two different exchanges. Say I want to back a runner $100 @ 2 on exchange A and lay same runner on exchange B @ 1.50 and green up. That would take $100 for the back bet and $66.67 for the lay liability totaling $166.67 for a total stake. If I make the same trade on the same exchange I wouldn't need the $66.67 ready in the account to make the second bet? I could start that trade off with just $100 in the account? I tried with a small amount to first place an (unmatched bet) @ 1000 for my entire account total. I could then try to lay @ 1,01 for that same amount even tho my account total was $0,00. So this seems to be the case. I guess the system accepts that because it "knows" the bets at least partially cancel each other out. But would that also work even if I had to trade out for a loss? Say I back my account total @ 2 (bringing the wallet down to $0) can I still then trade out for a loss by laying say at 2,2? Don't worry, I'm not gonna trade for my net worth :) I just want to know if I have $100 in the account I can start a trade by backing for that $100 instead of dividing it up into a back bet stake and a lay bet stake. This might be a trading 101 type of question but I hope someone wants to help me with this. TIA, P.

Re: Account total and trading on exchange

Say I want to back a runner $100 @ 2 on exchange A and lay same runner on exchange B @ 1.50 and green up. That would take $100 for the back bet and $66.67 for the lay liability totaling $166.67 for a total stake. If I make the same trade on the same exchange I wouldn't need the $66.67 ready in the account to make the second bet? I could start that trade off with just $100 in the account? I tried with a small amount to first place an (unmatched bet) @ 1000 for my entire account total. I could then try to lay @ 1,01 for that same amount even tho my account total was $0,00. So this seems to be the case. I guess the system accepts that because it "knows" the bets at least partially cancel each other out.
You're right; not only "at least", but "system" knows exactly how much of one bet is covered with another; if bets not only cover each other's stake, but have profit more than that, you have the case of green-up.
But would that also work even if I had to trade out for a loss? Say I back my account total @ 2 (bringing the wallet down to $0) can I still then trade out for a loss by laying say at 2,2?
No. If you trade out for a loss, you must have in your account sufficient funds to cover that loss; in this case, you don't say which odds you back those 2 units at, but let's suppose it's at evens; if you then lay at 2.2, you trade for a loss (red-up) of -0.18; so, you'd need at least 0.18 units at your account for such a trade.
Don't worry, I'm not gonna trade for my net worth :) I just want to know if I have $100 in the account I can start a trade by backing for that $100 instead of dividing it up into a back bet stake and a lay bet stake.
As said above, you can do that, but it's not clever thing at all, to go with entire bank in; in fact, in my opinion, 5% to 10% of the bank is optimum for a bet, and I have never went with more than 20% of bank in one bet; exceptions are some cases when I decide to start with, let's say 10 EUR and try to go as far as I can, like some Glory Hunters here; if that's case with your bank, then I understand why you go all-in, but even in that case, leave 10 or 20 units, to be able to red-up if things don't go way you expect.

Re: Account total and trading on exchange Thanks for your reply.

As said above' date=' you can do that, but it's not clever thing at all, to go with entire bank in; in fact, in my opinion, 5% to 10% of the bank is optimum for a bet[/quote'] When I'm talking about my account total it's not my bankroll. I'm primarily a online poker player and keep my online money spread over a couple of e-wallets and a handfull of poker sites. What I mean is if I have $100 on Betfair and want to make a trade for $100 I would have to transfer more money to be sure to cover the possibility for a trade out loss.