A Pair of Tens

billy the punter

I find this situation one of the hardest in NLHE tournaments. And one I'm never comfortable with. Halfway through the 18k on Betfair. Average stack is 5200. 71 left. How d'you play your pockets tens here? ***** Betfair Poker Hand History for Game 570345425 ***** NL Texas Hold'em $100 Buy-in + $9 Entry Fee, Level:6 Blinds(100/200-(no ante)) - Tuesday, September 01, 20:44:26 GMT 2009 $18,000 Guaranteed NL Hold'em #274446 Table 1 9-max (Real Money) Seat 8 is the button Total number of active players : 9 Seat 1: Quandary ( 2,282.50 ) Seat 2: mejla ( 10,898.50 ) Seat 3: kellyh ( 5,771 ) Seat 4: Maracaibo ( 1,990.25 ) Seat 5: BLACK RAIN ( 7,355.25 ) Seat 6: koule ( 2,165.50 ) Seat 7: athanatos69 ( 13,654.75 ) Seat 8: Harold Boom ( 7,410 ) Seat 9: tricky11 ( 6,186.50 ) Tourney Level:6 Blinds(100/200-(no ante)) tricky11 posts small blind [100] Quandary posts big blind [200] ** Dealing down cards ** Dealt to Harold Boom [ Tc, Td ] mejla folds kellyh folds Maracaibo folds BLACK RAIN raises to [700] koule folds athanatos69 folds

Re: A Pair of Tens The effective stack sizes are about 10 times the bet. There are players to act after you, so you may face a pre flop raise. You may not get paid off if you do see a flop and hit your set. I don't think you've got the implied odds available to set mine :unsure

Re: A Pair of Tens I dont think I can fold. I agree it's a horrible spot. I have position, so probably call, but I havent made up my mind yet that I'm playing it solely as a drawing hand - I need some equity when a ten doesn't hit the flop to be able to call. You have no information on the villain?

Re: A Pair of Tens Whats the action from the player been b4 ? is the first thing i would take into account. Has he been stealing alot ? Have you seen many showdown hands from the player ? Would need to get an idea of his range before. Depending on above and what i think my table image is on that particular table. Then i might flat call or possibly re-raise to see where i stand.

Re: A Pair of Tens

Nah that's the thing, I'd not long been at the table. First time we've clashed, he'd shown no cards as yet. I called, which I think was the only move. Harold Boom calls [700] tricky11 folds Quandary folds ** Dealing Flop ** [ Qc, Qd, 4h ] BLACK RAIN checks Now what? :\
Check. You've got tons of showdown value here, but can't stand a check raise, so I'd be trying to get to showdown cheaply.

Whats the action from the player been b4 ? is the first thing i would take into account. Has he been stealing alot ? Have you seen many showdown hands from the player ? Would need to get an idea of his range before. Depending on above and what i think my table image is on that particular table. Then i might flat call or possibly re-raise to see where i stand.
I don't really think raising to see where you stand as an option. You'll be committing a large chunk of your stack, and then what if he shoves.

Check. You've got tons of showdown value here' date=' but can't stand a check raise, so I'd be trying to get to showdown cheaply.[/quote'] Probably not what I'd do, but I like that more :ok It's dangerous giving cards away with only a pair of tens - but it's dangerous raising into the pre flop raiser too!! You're either way ahead or way behind here though - so a free card probably isn't too damaging.

Re: A Pair of Tens I did check. ** Dealing Flop ** [ Qc, Qd, 4h ] BLACK RAIN checks Harold Boom checks To be honest I think we will pretty much agree the play from now on so will post the remainder of the hand... ** Dealing Turn ** [ 3h ] BLACK RAIN checks Harold Boom bets [700] BLACK RAIN calls [700] ** Dealing River ** [ 2s ] BLACK RAIN checks Harold Boom checks ** Showdown ** BLACK RAIN shows [ Kc, Kd ] two pair, Kings and Queens Harold Boom shows [ Tc, Td ] two pair, Queens and Tens ** Hand Conclusion ** BLACK RAIN wins 3,100 from main pot with two pair, Kings and Queens ************ Game 570345425 ends ************ Just pleased I didn't get "busy" earlier in the hand. I never fall in love with TT, 99, AK. 45o maybe. :ok

Nah that's the thing, I'd not long been at the table. First time we've clashed, he'd shown no cards as yet. I called, which I think was the only move. Harold Boom calls [700] tricky11 folds Quandary folds ** Dealing Flop ** [ Qc, Qd, 4h ] BLACK RAIN checks Now what? :\
I'd have bet here, then given up if he showed any resistance, which he would have done.

I'd have bet here' date=' then given up if he showed any resistance, which he would have done.[/quote'] But the resistence would've been in the form of a call, then a check from him on 4th street. Which is exactly what happened, albet a street later in the actual hand. Betting the flop or turn results in the same - a small loss. However I'm more inclined to check the flop once checked in case he is slow playin AQ or quads. The 2nd check on the turn gave me the impression he was not slow playing a Q and there was a chance my tens where ahead. :ok

Betting the flop or turn results in the same - a small loss. :ok
I'd have been trying to end the hand. The paired board probably missed him, so if he calls he probably has something. If he didn't have the Q then he might check it down anyway. I'm not saying I don't like the way you played it, just that I might have played it differently.