PGA Golf - The Barclays

When a new venue is in use the key is to read up as much about the course and I especially like to look at pictures to see what it reminds me of. With the Liberty it does have that distinct "links" look to it but I don't think it will play like a links course over here - the ground is basically different - it was a landfill site! It does remind me of one venue played on the PGA tour and that is Whistling Straits - the venue of the 2004 PGA Championship and whilst I don't think it will play exactly the same I do think players who did well there will be to the fore. The only bet I have had at this stage is the winner of that event Vijay Singh - this must be a first for me as I don't think I have ever backed him before. Whilst he is the defending champion I don't think the pressures are the same when the venue changes and although he hasn't won this season - last year he didn't win til August and then won the WGC at Firestone and the first two Fedex playoffs. There is no doubting his fitness has been an issue after early season knee surgery but he won't want his first winless season since 2001. There have been encouraging recent signs of form of late - he was 4th at the cut in the Open and was 2nd at the cut in the PGA Championship which leads me neatly on to how I have bet him. I have placed £250 on Betfair win only at 55/1 - if he gets into contention his odds will drop considerably and I am quite happy to lay the stake back at 10/1 and then see what happens.

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays -1pt E/W Steve stricker W/O Woods @ 25/1 (general) Strick has been here a few days and is getting to grips with the wind factor. He has fond memories of the playoffs so will be looking forward to the challenge of Liberty National. The greens here will suit him big time aswell, being 1 of the best putters on tour. -1pt E/W Hunter Mahan @ 25/1 W/O Woods (general) You may notice I keep on backing Hunter. this is for 1 reason only - he will win, and soon. Top quality all round golfer could thrive on this course -1pt E/W Camillo Villegas W/O Woods @ 50/1 (general) BIG price on a guy that seems to click into gear come the latter part of the season. Back to back winner in the playoffs last year and has shown the ability to handle windy conditions at the British Open. -1pt E/W Geoff Ogilvy W/O Woods @ 40/1 (general) Been showing signs of a return of form to late and with this course being mainly exposed, he won't find himself in major trouble with errant tee shots. Probably the best putter on tour bar Woods and could thrive on these greens.

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays Anyone who fancies a cheeky E/W punt with serious value in the Johnnie Walker, Barry Lane is on offer at 300/1 on betfred. 12/1 skybet for top 20. Considering his current and course form they are great wagers. He is on offer @ 125/1 on certain other firms. Johnnie Walker betting preview/picks on my homepage.

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays One other bet in the Barclays at this stage - Jerry Kelly in the top US no Woods market. Take away the PGA Championship missed cut he is in really good form - 3rd in the US Bank,5th in Canada and 11th at the WGC where he would have been tied 4th in this particular market. One of the reasons I like him is his ability to play well on coastal courses - such as Waialae,Trump International,Harbour Town and the Mayakoba - so he should feel at home at the Liberty - £30 ew at 66/1 for me. Valuefinder - just to play Devils Advocate for a minute - why do people persist with Mahan - won once on tour in a poor event where he had good course form - have been guilty of following players off a cliff in the past but when he eventually wins again most people will have lost more than they will win. Also - yup Stricker - great putter but will the greens suit him? - they are A4 Hybrid bent a bit like Augusta but much smaller

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays With Mahan, I've just been monitoring him closely and I see a player that will develop into 1 of the very best around. He has every attribute needed. There are no weaknesses in his game and his mentalty and toughness are right up there too. He can play well on any course and is nearly always up there or there abouts. I think when he gets his next win, he will turn it up a gear. He is still in his mid/late 20's. He showed his true potential in the Ryder cup. He's also capable of going very low and his "bouncebackability" is better than most. I think he's got a great chance of winning 1 of the playoff events. Stricker, the faster and smoother the greens, the better. Current form is great if you disregard the USPGA. Fantastic short game and good ball striker.

PGA Golf Barclays Classic A little too late in getting bets on for the start of this event so I left it until after the 1st round. Predictions: Kevin Sutherland @101.00 EW William Hill (1/4 odds 4 places) ** He finished his 1st round -2 and sits pretty in a congested field with the leaders currently on -6. He finished runner up here last year and proved his current wellbeing with a recent 5th place finish at The Wyndham. Padraig Harrington @7.50 Win Paddypower *** Paddy is starting to find some form now having finished 2nd at Bridgestone and 10th in the PGA. He won this event in 2005 and finished runner up in 2004 and he has started very well on -4. I'll try to find some more value later on. :ok

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays

Sport Golf
Event Barclays Championship
Selection Sergio Garcia E/W(1/5, 1-4) (Each-Way)
Strength 3/10
Date 30/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 20.00 (Back)
Reasoning Backed Garcia near the end last week when he completely fell apart. But I'll take a chance on him again this week. Excellent first round but then real struggles in the tough condition. Now I expect him to come back over the weekend and put in strong performance

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays The Barclays Outright - Steve Stricker @ 9/1 Stan James (4 places, 1/5) Stricker is in contention going into the final two days play, he had a mixed round on day 1 shooting five bogeys but seven birdies, more level yesterday with 2 birdies and 1 bogey, two under par rounds though and if he gets himself to around 5-6 under tonight then he'll have a great chance on the final day.

Sport Golf
Event Barclays Championship
Selection Paul Goydos
Strength 10/10
Date 30/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 4.60 (Back)
Reasoning I like what I've seen from Goydos so far, he seems very composed and is putting excellently. He's in a great position tied with Marino, and with Tiger still influencing this market from a long way back, this price seems reasonable.

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays Paul Goydos @4.00 Paddypower **** I'm also on Goydos here as I feel he is reading the greens here better than anybody. Although he is a shorter hitter the length of the course hasn't really played apart of this tournament as it has been a nightmare for everybody trying to read which way or how slow or fast these greens are! Goydos I feel if he goes about his game like he has done for the previous 3 rounds then he could steal a march on Marino if looking at the scorecards can be taken into consideration without the weather affected 2nd round Goydos has started out quickly where he was -3 after 3 of his 1st round and -3 after 5 of his 3rd round. Marino only managed to make his 1st birdie on the 8th yesterday although he did start his 1st round off well going -4 after 8 holes. Marino has buckled before this season going into the final round getting beaten by Stricker in The Crowne Plaza in a play off. Marino has also never won on the tour yet which Goydos has won 2 previously. Tiger is lurking alongside Paddy but I feel on this new course it's a big ask to record a score low enough to prevail. :ok

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays Just to add to the Goydos pick currently players out on the course are not making any great waves and the lowest round so far was -5 from Jerry Kelly who finished if we look at Tiger who is currently 5 shots off the lead and Marino & Goydos worst round like most others was the rain affected 2nd day were they both finished the round on level par. Conditions are better today and the leaders should in theory go under which makes Tigers and Paddy's chances all the more difficult.

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays One 2-ball for me tonight. 3pts P.Goydos to beat S.Marino (DNB) 23/20 William Hill Paul Goydos has had a decent enough year with 3 top 5's and looking on course for another here. In fact he's got every chance of winning this event with a 2 shot lead over everyone bar his playing partner. Steve Marino has done ok this year and he's putting together back to back good weeks but I think he could just be edged out in this 2ball. Marino has the better of Goydos in length off the tee but he's not doing anything with it as on average he's 10ft further from the pin in regulation than Goydos this week. Goydos is hitting a lot more fairways which is always helpful on Sunday when pins are in tight positions and he's hit marginally more greens over the course of the week. The short stick seems to be in decent enough form and with 3 decent rounds under his belt, including the 2nd round 72 in poor conditions, I think Goydos can take this 2 ball. There isn't a huge difference in the odds with and without the draw so I'll play safe and bet w/o the draw.

The Barclays Outright - Steve Stricker @ 9/1 Stan James (4 places' date= 1/5) Stricker is in contention going into the final two days play, he had a mixed round on day 1 shooting five bogeys but seven birdies, more level yesterday with 2 birdies and 1 bogey, two under par rounds though and if he gets himself to around 5-6 under tonight then he'll have a great chance on the final day.
Unlucky not to get the win Spooner. Thought he was going to win once Woods missed his putt on 18, then naused up the last :(.
One 2-ball for me tonight. 3pts P.Goydos to beat S.Marino (DNB) 23/20 William Hill Paul Goydos has had a decent enough year with 3 top 5's and looking on course for another here. In fact he's got every chance of winning this event with a 2 shot lead over everyone bar his playing partner. Steve Marino has done ok this year and he's putting together back to back good weeks but I think he could just be edged out in this 2ball. Marino has the better of Goydos in length off the tee but he's not doing anything with it as on average he's 10ft further from the pin in regulation than Goydos this week. Goydos is hitting a lot more fairways which is always helpful on Sunday when pins are in tight positions and he's hit marginally more greens over the course of the week. The short stick seems to be in decent enough form and with 3 decent rounds under his belt, including the 2nd round 72 in poor conditions, I think Goydos can take this 2 ball. There isn't a huge difference in the odds with and without the draw so I'll play safe and bet w/o the draw.
Not very often a round of +4 gets the job done but it was easily too good for Marino's +6. With my form recently, I'll happily take it even if it was a touch lucky :lol.