Dettori: "Racing still makes me tick"

Frankie Dettori has scotched speculation he is considering retirement. With Godolphin so far out of sorts this term, and big-race winners hard to come by, the jockey's appetite for racing has been questioned. The popular Italian insists, however, he still has the hunger to compete at the highest level. "People tend to forget that I start my season on January 15 in Dubai and I stop on December 15 in Hong Kong," he told the Daily Mail. "They are very short-sighted. I'm going to carry on as long as I can. "I've got five children at private school so I need the money. But I also still enjoy what I'm doing, and still think I am as good as anyone else. "We've had a slow start to the year but we are not even halfway yet. I do pace myself. I've won three championships and that's not now my priority. "I've been there, done it and got the T-shirt. "I don't enjoy going racing just for the sake of riding in races so people can see my name in the paper. "The big stage is what makes me tick."
What are everyones thoughts on Frankie? He's obviously a name the public recognise, which is good for racing, but he rarely does me any favours and in terms of riding ability I'd put others above him IMO. Looking for a front running ride, I'd say Holland and Hills are better, and looking for a hold up ride, Moore, Hughes and Baker seem better. Celtic Step at York on Saturday the latest example. He was booked by the Niven yard and I took that to be a positive, that the yard fancied his chances by booking a big name, but Frankie ruined him. He was drawn perfectly on the rail and had been effective making all, so Frankie decides to hold him up up, he was treading water some way from home and never looked like winning. Trailed home 14/16. Great work Batman. :\

Re: Dettori: "Racing still makes me tick" Never liked him. The most overrated jockey of all time imo. Fair enough he is a good judge of pace but that is all. I remember having a huge debate about a guy in a pub last week about this actually. Frankie is the best he has seen, I'm sorry to be original but the guy is not even fit to lace a certain K Fallon's boots.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.