FINA World Swimming Championships 2009

Surprised there has been no thread for this yet. Will most likely spectate but I'll put something out there and see if we can generate some interest huh? 50m Butterfly - Mens MUNOZ, Rafael (ESP) ---- 1.38 CAVIC, Milorad (SRB) ---- 3.00 SANTOS, Nicholas (BRA) - 17.00 DRAGANJA, Duje (CRO) -- 23.00 DUNFORD, Jason (KEN) -- 23.00 TARGETT, Matt (AUS) --- 29.00 SUBIRATS, Albert (VEN)-- 34.00 ANDKJAR, Jakob (DEN) --- 41.00 Market suggests a race in 2. Only 3 have swum under 23s in the meet and Schoeman has missed out. That leaves Munoz and Čavić. Munoz is the world record holder and qualified 0.07s faster than Čavić but is just an up-and-comer. Čavić has been a top performer at the Euro Champs (short course) over the years in the 50m fly, 100m fly and 50m free. In last years Euro Champs (long course), he won Gold in this event while Munoz finished 3rd. He also ran Phelps to 0.01s in the 100m fly in Beijing. Čavić is the one to beat here.

Re: FINA World Swimming Championships 2009 200m Butterfly - Mens PHELPS, Michael (USA) --------- 1.30 MATSUDA, Takeshi (JPN) ------- 3.50 KORZENIOWSKI, Pawel (POL) --- 9.00 ALMEIDA, Kaio (BRA) ---------- 26.00 JUKIC, Dinko (AUT) ------------ 29.00 CLARY, Tyler (USA) ----------- 41.00 ROCK, Michael (GBR) ---------- 41.00 ROUSSEAU, Sebastian (RSA) -- 51.00 Race in 3 but PHELPS is not at his peak and is wearing the LZR suits so even though you should never back against a champion, after what happened in the 200m free, I feel this is really a race in 2. I've give MATSUDA the nod here. Was 3rd in this event in Beijing only 0.94s behind Phelps who swam a world record. KORZENIOWSKI was a further 1.63s behind. Although KORZENIOWSKI has swum well in his heat and semi, I'm not sure he can go much faster. We know MATSUDA can.

Re: FINA World Swimming Championships 2009 200m Breaststroke - Mens SPRENGER, Christian (AUS) ------ 1.85 SHANTEAU, Eric (USA) ---------- 2.20 RICKARD, Brenton (AUS) -------- 4.50 GYURTA, Daniel (HUN) ---------- 13.00 TITENIS, Giedrius (LTU) -------- 34.00 BARBOSA, Henrique (BRA) ------ 41.00 FACCI, Loris (ITA) ------------- 41.00 GIORGETTI, Edoardo (ITA) ----- 51.00 Sprenger is fav because of his semi swim. Rickard is the more credentialed team-mate and is favoured by the 200m. Both and he Shanteau have swum well in this meet and I rate them higher than Sprenger. IMHO, Rickard is the best breast-stroker behind Kitajima, who isn't competing, so he is my pick.