Southwell 24th July

Southwell 16:00 Freda’s Rose 66/1 Sportingbet Maybe I have been reading too much Dick Francis – and I certainly love sellers - they have historically been where the great punting coups have taken place – so always on the lookout. I have no knowledge whatsoever of the horse or the yard but am absolutely intrigued by Freda’s Rose. The horse might, of course, be quite useless – indeed the balance of probability is that it is exactly that. It has only once started under 66/1 (50/1 at Market Rasen in a bumper) and never finished nearer than 6th and quite “obviously” the yard’s second string with the great AP McCoy on their other runner. It has though, in the context of a race as bad as this, shown the merest glimpses of ability and this is the classic way to pull off an old style coup. There is always a buzz about a smallish yard when a winner is hoped for – and if that leaks out to the race-going Southwell public – well obviously the McCoy mount is the “one to be on”. The horse has been moved up and down in trip, has had runs at just about the right time to be at its best for this, has a competent but not big name jockey and comes from a yard quite capable of pulling off a touch. Even the price has been moving strangely – though for small money at least so far as the exchanges are concerned. May well be depressed come 4.10 but until then ….. Of course, as I say, the horse might simply be useless – but it might, just might, be one of those coups – the discovery of which is, to me, a very large part of what makes this sport so fascinating.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.