Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Running a bit late after a family party last night so apologies if anyone can't get on the 2 bets today.

Sunday 9 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifEssex v Nottinghamshire (13:45 BST) 2 2 100.00 %
maximize.gifSomerset v Yorkshire (13:45 BST) 1.57 2.62 101.73 %
maximize.gifSussex v Gloucestershire (13:45 BST) 1.72 2.37 100.00 %
Sunday 9 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifGlamorgan v Northamptonshire (13:45 BST) 2.2 1.8 101.01 %
maximize.gifKent v Middlesex (13:45 BST) 2 2.5 90.00 %
maximize.gifWarwickshire v Leicestershire (13:45 BST) 1.66 2.37 102.11 %
Will keep writeup's short. 3pts Essex to beat Nottinghamshire Evs Totesport Essex lost their Championship match here this week but that was mainly down to poor batting, especially at the top of the order. However they'll bring Grant Flower in to bolster the batting in this game. With the ball, Napier, Wright, Masters and Kaneria can do the business. Napier and ten Doeschate can ignite fireworks with the bat if they get going. Nottinghamshire have rested Mark Ealham and look like bringing a 2nd team youngster into their attack. Charlie Shreck is also rested and while they have a very powerful batting lineup, their bowling does look a bit weak, especially as Pattinson has gone round the park a bit this season. Luke Fletcher, the young seamer will need to carry the attack and with Essex knowing how to get the job done in this I'll take them to win. 6pts Middlesex to beat Kent 6/4 Totesport I don't know if Totesport have seen Kent's squad for this game but they've decided to rest their entire bowling attack ahead of the twenty20 finals day on Saturday. Only Rob Ferley is a household name with the Spitfires having rested the likes of McLaren, Mahmood, Khan, Tredwell and Cook. Wayne Parnell is in South Africa now but will be back for Saturday. Kent have kept their 6 main batsmen though. Middlesex haven't named their side yet but it was their 1st team at The Oval and with Malan, Morgan and Shah all playing the Championship match here earlier this week, when they've no chance of achieving anything in that competition, which suggests they've not gone down the road of resting players at all this season, I expect Middlesex to be at full strength. They won that Championship match and with what I expect to be a much stronger side of the two, especially in the bowling attack I'll take the Panthers to win this one.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 More than fair mate. What I forgot to add was when these two played in the Friends Provident here earlier in the season, Middlesex, who'd have been without Tyron Henderson and Tim Murtagh that day, won by 80 runs. Kent were at full strength then too.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Disappointing day today. An Owais Shah wonder knock got a lost match back to Middlesex being huge favourites needing 29 off 24 with 4 wickets left but then they collapse quickly and it wasn't to be. Every time I've taken Kent on this season, Darren Stevens has popped up with a wonder innings and killed me. He's getting on my nerves now :wall. Essex won to limit the damage to -3pts. TV games this week are Wednesday and Thursday.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Pro40 game tonight which is on TV. I'm in a real rush and again can't get the prices to work to copy them in here. It's 4/6 Surrey vs 11/8 Glamorgan though. 2 for me. Apologies for the next to no reasoning although everyone will already know one of them. 3pts Glamorgan to beat Surrey 11/8 Stan James Day/night match which automatically makes Glamorgan value. Ramprakash plays for Surrey but Nel doesn't which makes their bowling, which is shocking anyway, even worse. Allenby will debut which strengthens the Dragons in batting and bowling and with The Oval favouring a bit of spin, Glamorgan possibly have the edge there and can win this. 1pt ew R.Croft Top Glamorgan Batsman 20/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Allenby strengthens this weak Glamorgan batting lineup but even then if Glamorgan bat 2nd we've seen all season teamas getting into trouble and a lower order batsman putting himself in the mix. Croft top scored in a twenty20 game on Sky earlier in the year and he comes into this one in good form after a solid knock against Leicester. He can float up the order if needs be and 20/1 is a ridiculous price here and well worth ew money.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Disappointing night last night. Wasn't helped by me being in a rush and forgetting that the game began an hour early. Rain never helped matters either. +0.9pts going into tonight now. 3 for tonight. 3pts Gloucestershire to beat Somerset 6/4 Ladbrokes Gloucestershire have had an up and down one day season this term. They made the semis of the FP Trophy but bombed out tamely in the twenty20. Somerset have been the opposite. They went out in the quarters of the FPT but are 2 days away from finals day at Edgbaston. There will be no love lost in this one between the fierce local rivals. Gloucestershire have named a pretty strong squad for this match. Steve Kirby plays before heading off to play for the England Lions while Jon Lewis also plays. The batting lineup looks a lot stronger too with Steve Adshead making a big ton in the championship last week. Somerset haven't named their side yet but with such a big day just around the corner they could well rest a few players for this match. Either way, Gloucester on home soil aren't the easiest to beat. It's well known what I think of Somerset's bowling attack and with the day/night effect I'll take the Gladiators at 6/4. 4pts 8 or more 6's 13/8 Sportingbet These two have a habit of producing high scoring matches. Last season 330 wasn't enough for Somerset and it's been the case in the past as well. There were plenty of boundaries hit when these two played in the twenty20 earlier in the season and with short boundaries straight at Bristol and the potential of 2 big hitting teams having a go at them I think this price (where the same bet is 5/6 at Skybet) is very big so I'll take the overs here. 1pt ew P.Trego Top Somerset Batsman 7/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Pete Trego is arguably the cleanest hitter of a cricket ball in the country at the minute and when he gets in he'll be scoring pretty quickly. The ground dimensions are perfect for his straight, big hitting which isn't the case for all of his team mates. Trego will float in the order but when he comes in carnage will ensue. 7/1 is a fair each way price on someone who hits it like he does.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Horrible night tonight. Gloucestershire never showed up with the bat which meant there was only 47 overs of play. There were still 5 6's in there though so 2 normal innings would've seen that line easily covered :wall. No returns tonight so back to -8.1pts now :sad.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Need to get back to winning ways in this competition. Somerset vs Sussex is the TV match, it's a repeat of Saturday's twenty20 cup final. Best prices are Somerset 8/11, Sussex 6/5. 3pts Sussex to beat Somerset 6/5 Bet365 The top two meet in the Pro40 at Taunton this evening as Somerset host Sussex in a bid for revenge after being beaten by the Sharks in Saturday's twenty20 cup final. Both sides know that the winners here will top the table and if it's Sussex who win, it will as good as sew up the title for them in the year they are defending their crown. Somerset will choose from the same squad which they took to Edgbaston on Saturday although the make up of their side could change slightly in that Max Waller could be dropped for Mark Turner to play. Their batting order will change as Craig Kieswetter will move up to open the innings alongside Marcus Trescothick. Justin Langer will drop to 3 with de Bruyn and Hildreth backing them up. Sussex will also be a similar side to the one which played on Saturday. Robin Martin-Jenkins may come in but the way their spinners bowled on Saturday that's unlikely. Ed Joyce and Chris Nash will probably open the innings which Luke Wright in at 3, that despite Murray Goodwin's wonderful 80 in the semi final on Saturday. This will be a great game. 2 really good sides who are playing good cricket. I just give Sussex the edge though, a) because of the day/night factor, b) I favour their bowling attack and c) they won a 50 over Friends Provident quarter final here earlier in the season. As long as they didn't party too hard on Saturday night, and with this title being close to winning, I don't think they will have, I think the Sharks will win this. 5pts Somerset Highest 1st 15 Overs 8/11 Bet365 Somerset flew out of the traps in the twenty20 final on Saturday, being 44/1 after just 4 overs. That was because Marcus Trescothick is in such imperious form at the minute it's untrue. Here he'll be partnered by the hard hitting Craig Kieswetter so the run rate isn't likely to drop any. Sussex will open up with Ed Joyce and Chris Nash I suspect which will mean a bit more circumspect batting to begin with to set the innings up for the likes of Luke Wright and Dwayne Smith in the middle order. While I think Sussex will win the match in the end, a lot of that will be down to their 3 spinners who probably won't bowl until the 15 overs are out so with the big hitting duo up 1st I'll take the Sabres to lead at 15 overs. 2pts M.Trescothick Top Somerset Batsman 3/1 Ladbrokes Marcus Trescothick is in sensational form. The way he's demolished 3 decent bowling attacks in the last 4 days has been incredible. Gloucestershire felt the full effect of his bat on Thursday in a blistering 80 while Kent got it even worse on Saturday when an effortless 56 came from just 32 balls. He scored 33 off 15 against Sussex in the final on Saturday which included 2 huge 6's. Those boundaries were much bigger than tonight's one will be and assuming we've got the usual Somerset featherbed to bat on, if Sussex don't get Trescothick early, like they did in the FP quarter final here, they may not get him for quite a while. I don't normally take short priced favourites for top bat but having seen Tres 1st hand on Saturday, he's in sublime form and 3/1 is perfectly decent for him to top score here. 1pt ew C.Nash Top Sussex Batsman 11/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Chris Nash has cost me a few quid recently by not getting into bat but I'm confident he'll bat here as he has been opening the batting this season in the Pro40. Even batting down the order in the Twenty20 final on Saturday he looked very good and quickly ran into a place in a high Sussex total, with only Dwayne Smith, who came in 3 spots above him, outscoring him. Nash placed in the game against Hampshire earlier in the competition and comes in here off the back of a Championship ton last week. He's in good touch and with the wicket being good, and the boundaries small he's a very backable ew price in this Pro40 clash.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Another poor night last night although there was a return on the 15 overs bet. There's a TV game on tonight but Leicester appear to be in a bit of disarray and Kent have decided this is a competition for the kids so I'm not betting tonight. I'll wait for tomorrow which should hopefully yield a better opportunity.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009

Another poor night last night although there was a return on the 15 overs bet. There's a TV game on tonight but Leicester appear to be in a bit of disarray and Kent have decided this is a competition for the kids so I'm not betting tonight. I'll wait for tomorrow which should hopefully yield a better opportunity.
Exactly what happens when you have a pointless competition. Soon as they said the pro40 was going they may as well have disbanded it immediately.

Sunday 23 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifDurham v Hampshire (13:45 BST) 1.74 2.26 101.72 %
maximize.gifEssex v Worcestershire (13:45 BST) 1.55 2.75 100.88 %
Sunday 23 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifDerbyshire v Kent (13:45 BST) 2.2 1.83 100.00 %
maximize.gifLeicestershire v Lancashire (13:45 BST) 2.9 1.5 101.15 %
This Kent youth team are getting taken on today. 3pts Derbyshire to beat Kent 6/5 Ladbrokes Kent come into this game with an opportunity of going top of the league with a win. A fantastic achievement in itself when they've decided to play the kids in this competition. However they go to Chesterfield to take on a Derbyshire side who are also unbeaten in the competition having had 2 matches rained off and then chased a very big total down against Surrey. Derbyshire have named a pretty strong 12 man squad for the game. I've no idea why they've let Tom Lungley go to Lancashire but Tim Groenewald has stepped up in his absence and Steffan Jones is back at home. Nantie Hayward's pace can lead to wickets. Chris Rogers has set a very good example with the bat this season. Wavell Hinds brings further international quality to the ranks while Dan Redfern is one of the most talented youngsters in the country. Kent have decided to rest a lot of their stars. Key, Denly, van Jaarsveld, Jones, McLaren and Simon Cook have all been rested while Wayne Parnell is back with South Africa now. So it's only really Stevens, Kemp who captains the side today, Tredwell and Mahmood who are regulars in this Kent side today. Derbyshire are turning into a competitive side these days. They are fighting hard for promotion in the Championship and with Kent resting so many I think they are decent value on one of their outgrounds at Chesterfield this afternoon.

Tuesday 25 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifHampshire v Gloucestershire (16:40 BST) 1.61 2.62 100.00 %
Hampshire vs Gloucestershire is the 1st of 5 straight TV games this week. Hopefully I can take advantage of them and get back into profit for this competition. I was going to be all over Hampshire before the Gloucester squad was announced and was going to take the under in the 6's market but at this stage with confidence and luck almost at rock bottom I'm just going to stick to the match bet. Although Michael Lumb is in sensational form at the minute so I'll back him to top score as well. 6pts Hampshire to beat Gloucestershire 8/13 Ladbrokes Hampshire come into this match knowing that a win will send them 2nd in the table and form a 3 way battle for title with Somerset and Sussex. Gloucestershire have no real chance of winning this competition so like others in this event now, they've decided to rest their bowling attack for bigger games in the 4 day version of the game. Neither side will be at full strength. Michael Carberry and Nic Pothas are both injured for the Hawks. Young batsman James Vince, an England u19 international will play his 1st day/night match at this level while Tom Burrows will continue to deputise for Pothas. Billy Taylor and Chris Tremlett will battle it out for the last spot in the bowling attack. Jon Lewis, Steve Kirby and James Franklin have all been rested for the Gladiators. Ian Saxelby, Anthony Ireland and debutant David Payne will lead the bowling attack. Alex Gidman will lead the batting which is without Craig Spearman. Hamish Marshall, Will Porterfield and Kadeer Ali are all in the squad so Spearman and Franklin aside, this is a pretty much full strength Gloucestershire batting lineup. Hampshire are going really well in one day cricket this season and I fully expect them to win this as well. Rose Bowl pitches tend to become dust bowls about this stage of the season so Imran Tahir should be close to impossible to play on this deck. Liam Dawson is a decent spinner too. Hampshire don't lose many at the Rose Bowl and with Gloucestershire resting key players I think the Hawks will win this as well. 2pts M.Lumb Top Hampshire Batsman 3/1 Boylesports Michael Lumb has been in sensational form in one day cricket this season and he comes into this match not just off the back of a blistering half century at Durham on Sunday, but prior to that he hit his highest Championship score against Nottinghamshire last week when he piled on a double century. He's in seriously good touch and with a big danger in Michael Carberry out for the season, and an inexperienced seam attack bowling at him 1st up, I think Lumby can top score for the Hawks once again and in the process remind the England selectors what they've left out.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Giles White isn't that bad a coach. He turned our form round last season and won the FPT this season. He's also the one who started all this spin 1st stuff in the twenty20 when we opened the bowling with Liam Dawson. He's now got Fletcher to learn off too. This James Vince is a real talent. Only seen him a couple of times before tonight but he'll more than easily replace Crawley next season.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Indeed so mate. We've had some shockers in the past but that's all changed since Bransgrove took over and the Warne era begun. He installed the winning mentality at the club which Dimi has carried on and we've now got a squad with some real quality players. Ervine is as good an all rounder as you'll find at this level, Lumb is the best opening batsman in the country in one day cricket and Carberry and Adams are massively improved. Then we've got Dawson and Vince who are two of the better prospects I've seen for a while. Add into that I believe we play at the best place to watch cricket in the country and we've got a megastar in Mendis coming over next year so the next 12 months should be really good for us Hawks fans :hope.

Re: Cricket: NatWest Pro40 2009 Kent vs Surrey is on the box tonight. I'm adamant this Kent side will get turned over. They keep coming so close to losing that it's going to happen eventually! I'll go with 3 tonight. 3pts Surrey to beat Kent 11/8 Stan James Two of county cricket's heavyweight names meet at Canterbury tonight under the lights and I'm going for Surrey to pull off an upset over title chasing Kent. Kent have used this competition to field a lot of youngsters and while it's a combination that's worked, they've edged over the line in each of their 3 wins thus far. Surrey are beginning to name stronger sides in this competition and that includes Mark Ramprakash tonight. I'm a bit concerned that their bowling attack is incredibly weak but their batting strength against a young Kent attack makes up for it. We have the d/n factor to take into account tonight and with Ramps in the side, Surrey can put up a score which is enough to win this. 3pts Over 5.5 6's Skybet Even with Kent's young team out there's still a couple of big hitters in there in Darren Stevens and Azhar Mahmood. Surrey have a few biffers as well but the key to this bet is a good Canterbury wicket and 2 weak bowling attacks. The slope at Canterbury always makes one boundary shorter than it actually is while it's not a long boundary straight to one end. When Kent played Middlesex here earlier in the competition there were 10 6's hit so I expect to see at least 6 tonight. 1pt ew D.Stevens Top Kent Batsman 11/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Every time I've opposed Kent this season Darren Stevens has popped up and done me in with surreal knocks so in case that trend continues tonight I'm backing him this time!! It's not the only reason I'm backing him though. He's a dangerous middle order batsman who is in very good form having hit a blistering 50 at the weekend to see off Derbyshire. He hits seam and spin equally as well and as far and against a weak bowling attack which Surrey possess I think he can outscore the rest of this side here.

If anyone needed any evidence why I will not bet on the pro40 this season there it is tonight. Even the players dont give a shit.
Not sure that anyone didn't give a shit mate, I think it was more the farce they were part of more than anything. Certainly of the games I’ve been to they’ve been really competitive and I’m sure when the £45k is dished out for the division 2 winners at the end of the season they’ll definitely give a shit.

Speaking of the farce, it kind of sums my luck and bad run up for the last few weeks. I don’t think there’s been anything wrong with my picks, for whatever reason it’s not going for me at the minute. I’ve looked at a couple of things and will keep persevering. Luck has to change eventually. Let’s hope it’s tonight!!

3 bets for me tonight. Sussex vs Durham is the game. Rain is around Hove this afternoon so we could be looking at a shortened match.

3pts Durham to beat Sussex 11/10 Ladbrokes

Having begun this competition slowly, Durham have suddenly come good in it and head to Hove tonight knowing a win will put them right in the title shake up and lift them up to 2

nd place. Sussex flew out of the traps in this but their momentum was checked when they were thrashed by Somerset last time out. Back on home soil though will be an advantage but as ever this is a very powerful Durham lineup.

Sussex will be without England duo Matt Prior and Luke Wright, both of whom are big hits to this lineup. Chris Nash hasn’t been named in the squad either so he’s another who’ll need replacing. Joe Gatting looks set to come into the side but the squad has a bowling look to it. Yasir Arafat and James Kirtley are the solid seam options while young leggie Will Beer is bowling really well at the minute. Michael Yardy and Rory Hamilton-Brown will make up a strong spin trio.

Durham will be without their 3 England players. Steve Harmison and Graham Onions are rested and Paul Collingwood is with the England squad. Shivnerine Chanderpaul is in the squad now though and he adds not only immense quality to their batting lineup but solidity too which will allow the likes of Mustard, Blackwell and Coetzer free reign to tee off. Dale Benkenstein isn’t in the squad tonight so Ben Harmison will need to step up to the plate. Mitch Claydon has been bowling well in one day cricket this season and he’ll partner Liam Plunkett with the ball. Blackwell, Breese and another young leggie Scott Borthwick form a decent spin trio for the Dynamos.

There isn’t a great deal between these sides. Sussex may be marginally the better but without Wright and Prior that gap is a lot less. Durham have some big hitters in their side and at odds against I think they can win this match but they look the side to benefit more from any shortening of the overs so it’s the away side for me.

4pts Durham Highest 1

st 15 Overs 10/11 Sportingbet

Durham will open up the batting with Phil Mustard and Ian Blackwell, both of whom can destroy any bowling attack in the country on any given day. Arafat can be tricky to score off when he gets the yorkers in but he can be expensive when it goes the other way. Sussex go the other way. They’ll open with Joyce and probably Hamilton-Brown, neither of who score as quickly as the Durham pair. It could well be Dwayne Smith who completes Sussex’s 15 over bowling because they don’t tend to bring spin into play until the fielding restrictions are over. Durham have a couple of other seam options to Claydon and Plunkett in Ben Harmison and Will Gidman. The Dynamos also have the option of upping Kyle Coetzer to 3 to continue a 15 over onslaught and with their batting power at the top of their order coupled with no Luke Wright and Matt Prior to tee off and mess us up, I think Durham will lead after 15 overs.

1pt ew D.Smith Top Sussex Batsman 11/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3)

With Like Wright missing from Sussex’s lineup tonight there’s every chance Dwayne Smith will be moved up the order to compensate for Wright’s loss at 3. Even if he doesn’t though he’ll still bat at number 4 or 5 so it’s not essential he moves up. We’ve seen a couple of times on Sky how he can destroy an attack, particularly here at Hove. He also top scored in the twenty20 final 2 weeks ago so he’s in decent touch. He hits seam and spin equally well which will be important tonight and 11/2 seems like a fair price to top score in a batting lineup which only really consists of Goodwin and Joyce and genuine dangers.

Not sure that anyone didn't give a shit mate, I think it was more the farce they were part of more than anything. Certainly of the games I’ve been to they’ve been really competitive and I’m sure when the £45k is dished out for the division 2 winners at the end of the season they’ll definitely give a shit
Nah its different this year, the players are giggling on the balcony as they are being beat, £45k is a pittence in cricket now. I spoke to James Taylor at Leicestershire and he said its of no importance this year, just a competetion to give time to some kids as whats the point of winning promotion when you arent being promoted to anything.