AFL Round 14

Bombers are dogs again. 4 favs are playing interstate (one game is neutral). 2 of these have poor interstate form and are playing bottom 4 teams. COLL 1.51 ESS 2.58 --- -/+12.5 MCG MELB 2.16 WCE 1.70 --- +/-5.5 MCG PORT 2.58 BRIS 1.51 --- +/-12.5 AAMI RICH 4.00 ADEL 1.25 --- +/-25.5 Carrara WB 1.36 HAWKS 3.17 --- -/+18.5 Etihad SYD 1.30 NTH 3.55 --- -/+21.5 SCG STK 2.47 CATS 1.55 --- +/-9.5 Etihad FREO 2.37 CARL 1.57 --- +/-9.5 Subiaco

Re: AFL Round 14 Forgive me if this all gets a bit disjointed...typing on the fly here... ...not sure what to make of the Friday Night game. Bombers 'stole' Anzac Day in a stupidly free-flowing game (57-60 I50's!)... ...Collingwood now 7-0 ats when scoring at 2.00 or better (why didn't I go with it last week against a terrible Freo D?! :wall)...but Bomber D has been pretty good. 1.97 on the year, 2.03 last 5. As over-rated as we all agree Carlton are, you'd have to say the Bombers were impressive last week... ...have been impressive (number-wise) v. Carlton twice, v. Collingwood, AT Brisbane, v. St. Kilda, v. Adelaide...only really pumped by Geelong... They have struggled agaisnt good defenses... ...but Collingwood D just may be a bit over-rated. Have only played Geelong [Pies allowed 1.59] and St. Kilda [1.70] once (2 of 3 top scorers) not Bulldogs, Carlton 4th [1.71]...Bombers next on the list (behind Pies themselves)...in fact, throw in the Adelaide and Ess games and Collingwood are 0-5 SU when allowing a shot better than 2.04. So, I'm back a square one! :lol Who-ever scores at better than 2.00 will win. Not sure I can pick it. ...although Ess have gone at 1.87 last 5, and are second to the Dogs in goals/I50's @ 2.89. ok...the extremely resistable force v. the unwilling to move object! 13 (?) straight road losses up against a team who can't win when trying, and more than likely isn't... WC have to win, don't they?... ...although, now I look, Melbourne have played just 2 games (in Melbourne) against bottom 8 teams! :eek (Kangas rd. 1, and beat Richmond.) Still, Eagles numbers aren't that bad on the road. Were close AT Brisbane...should have beaten Hawthorn in Tas, should have won AT Sydney (although, how good does that look? :\)...belted by Carlton, and Richmond (new coach theory...and +8 I50's, just couldn't score)... ...and I suspect that will be the theme of the day. :zzz ;) As bad as Port have been I was really surprised to see them as 2 goal home dogs. Brisbane have been poor on the road...only av'ing 20 shots...but did turn it around last game @ Tassie when they pumped Hawthorn. (I know, I know...easy enough to do)... ...Port have been good at home...although they have played the bottom 3... :\ Brisbane won here easily last year...in fact, won 3 of last 4... ...but these two have a remarkably similar form line this year... Both pump Melbourne at home (+17 shots to +15) Both beat Hawthorn away (30 points to 42, but edge Brisbane) Brisbane +4 shots @ Kangas, Port +5 Brisbane -15 I50's v. Saints, Port -16 (at home tho) Both beat Crows by 36 and 26 Both beat Ess at home, 46 and 41 Brisbane +1 I50 v. Richmond, Port +0 (home tho) Couldn't take Brisbane on the road as favs, and despite Port being under-rated, given they've played just 2 of their last 7 at home...I'm not too keen on taking them either. Now, one game I am interested in is the Tiges +25.5 (although I do admit to being semi-interested early last week too :unsure) Just not sure the Crows deserve to be big road favs...Haven't had more than +4 shots away from home this season (inc. @ Freo)...only beat Melbourne by 17 away... ...they are suddenly being talked up as contenders (yes you Mike Sheahan)...but have played just 2 of their last 8 away from home!! :eek Richmond forward line still going ok (1.89 shot last 5), but didn't get the chances with a horrible 27 I50's last week! Crows give up 48 on the road, so they should be able to get enough ball forward to keep it close A low scoring ground (this could be a REAL low scorer, but expecting a sub 165 total), but the lack of scoring also lends itself to close games. 7 of the last 10 games here (since 2006) have been under 24 points at the end. Richmond have travelled well this season, losing by 19 @ SCG (Mattner tackle game), 3 @ Port and won by 3 @ Freo. Taking the points here I feel. [Although, this HT spread thing certainly has it's merits ;) ]

Re: AFL Round 14

Couldn't take Brisbane on the road as favs, and despite Port being under-rated, given they've played just 2 of their last 7 at home...I'm not too keen on taking them either. from home!! :eek
You say this like it's a bad thing :loon I love these types of situations. Whenever you run across this kind of situation a 1-24 margin bet and 1-12 HT margin bet are ripe for the picking! Lions 1-24 and 1-12 @ HT for me. Will do the same thing in the Richmond game too, problem is I don't know which way to go. I actually feel a Richmond here :unsure Not convinced about Sydney's line either. No Hall, Roos looked better last week and I think the new coach factor will still have resonance. Swans 1-12 HT and 1-24 here I think, but I could easily be tempted to go Roos 1-24. Still, Sydney to win narrowly is probably the better play :\ Cats 1-24 for me too I feel. I expect it to be tight with class shining through in the end. Again though, Saints 1-24 I could entertain too :lol Carlton @ Freo looks a perfect set-up for a Freo/Blues HT/FT play (although it's always perfect when Freo is involved). Freo at home is obviously a benefit and after last week's dire 2nd half, any Freo HT lead will surely be over turned by a more skillful Carlton side. As for the Demons and West Coast, I'm going to offer some dumb logic. If neither side can win, neither will :ok We're due a draw in season 2009.

As for the Demons and West Coast, I'm going to offer some dumb logic. If neither side can win, neither will :ok We're due a draw in season 2009.
:lol Well, by numbers alone...WC av'ing 75-106 on the road...Melbourne 72-106 on the season... :ok Can't see any reason not to be on the Doggies -15.5 or so that should be available. (Apart from Gia out which could hurt) They are just flying right now...(even off a new coach theory win ;) :lol )... A goal every 2.88 entries (best), and more importantly (from a supporters pov), allowing a shot just every 2.34 entries, which is second behind the Roos. +8 I50's a game is giving them plenty of opertunies... Hawks -5 in their last 5 (av. 46 only to Dogs 55), their scoring has been consistantly bad all season @ just 2.05...surprisingly their D has picked up, but that's being off-set by the midfield allowing more entries... ...besides, their given up 107 (27 shots) to a toothless WC in a hurricane, 28 shots to a poor travelling Brisbane at a low scoring ground... ...in fact, they've given up less than 27 shots just 5 times all season, all to teams in the bottom 7 for scoring.

So, I'm back a square one! :lol Who-ever scores at better than 2.00 will win. Not sure I can pick it.
So it is 50/50 then? Odds suggest otherwise ;)
ok...the extremely resistable force v. the unwilling to move object! 13 (?) straight road losses up against a team who can't win when trying, and more than likely isn't...
17, but who's counting? It's a big number.
WC have to win' date= don't they?...
*Cough* :puke Same could've been said vs Melb R20, 2008 and Rich R12, 2009! We know how those games ended though they predictably threw away the Richmond game but looking back it was probably their best Vic performance from 2008 onwards. Not game to back either which such poor records at "unfriendly odds". If the Dees blew out to a serious price then maybe.

up against a team who can't win when trying' date= and more than likely isn't...
Well, you could get lumbered with s*** picks like Natanui if you're not very careful! :eyes
WC have to win, don't they?... ...although, now I look, Melbourne have played just 2 games (in Melbourne) against bottom 8 teams! :eek
Melbourne, just quietly :dude. Jamar, McDonald, Bate possible inclusions. I think it's 17, isn't it? Let's just say, from now on, it's between 10 & 25 :dude. Someone probably just makes it up, anyway :unsure. I've Melbourne slight favorite and looking for that bit of gloom factor overhead. At this point in time I'd even take a small 20's Bulldogs 'cap. :tongue2 North! Brisbane very very close to a play on h'cap. Took the 2.50 Saints, sorry. Although, not sure anyone here seems interested thus far. I wasn't wanting anything less than 2.50.

Re: AFL Round 14 Where'd you get that 2.50 from Ash? I set myselt the same figure, but best I can see is a 2.47... So far taken; Richmond +25.5 Doggies -16.5 ...for reasons above...and... Kangas +22.5 Kangas defense has been very good...in fact 2nd best over the last 5 for I50/goals allowed (4.22), and over their last 6 they've allowed just a shot every 2.42!! Should be good enough to keep Sydney to a, if not beatable score, then certainly one they can keep close to. Swans have had more than 24 shots just twice in their last 10...home to Port and West Coast, obviously 2 poor travelling teams...and just 17, 20, 21 & 19 in their last 4. (Although none at the SCG...but 24 each at the SCG to both Carlton and Richmond) Swans have pretty similar numbers at home to the Doggies, who North held to 23 shots last week (on 62 entries!)...so without Hall somewhere around the 23 shot mark looks a genuinely tough ask. Swans D has been good too...but have allowed 22, 20 and 18 shots here this year...Campbell, Thomas and Edwards all back in line for selection, and with their new found freedom I think the Kangas have to be a pretty good shot here. Nearly 4 goals is a lot anyway. I hear what you're saying re: the Friday night game oz, but I still think Collingwood are the better team, and I can't justify taking the Bombers @ 2.35 when I didn't take them @ 2.70 last week against a far worse team. (Should have mind you...both for my wallet and that extra 5 years of my life that got stressed away counting the total down! :lol ) Just looking at the total points market @ TAB...I think the Melbourne/WC line will be below what I was after...Brisbane/Port a bit low too... ...but I reckon I've got one pencilled in, and maybe a couple of others will be very close to the mark. ;)

Re: AFL Round 14 Interesting that most guys here are generally looking at the line markets, be it starts or totals. Not something I've ever really done, not quite sure what that says about me :unsure Anyway, my margin betting mindset has come up with the following: Lions 1-24 @ 3.90 Sportingbet Lions with a good record at AAMI but don't think the Lions will win as easily as perhaps the odds suggest. Can't see Port getting thumped at home either considering the style the Lions play. Geelong 1-24 @ 3.85 Sportingbet I still think the Cats' big game experience will be the difference here. In regular season they almost always win the close ones and I think the odds for the same again are very strong. I don't think you'd see a Saints win much more often than a Geelong 1-24 win, but the odds are quite stronger IMO. North Melbourne 1-24 @ 6.00 SportsAlive Silly odds. I expect a couple of goals to decide this one either way but the odds on North margin are too juicy to pass up. Would have thought this one would have been much closer to 4.50-4.75. Adelaide 1-24 @ 3.40 SportsAlive A low scoring game helps this bet a fair bit. Crows have a good Cararra record and that tips the scales in their favour just ahead of a Richmond side that I can't bring myself to trust in the same way I can a North side.

Where'd you get that 2.50 from Ash? I set myselt the same figure' date=' but best I can see is a 2.47...[/quote']Early Tuesday at Pinnacle. They have mine on auto-react (don't know why, seeing that bookie is giving me a decent touch up this season), which most of the time means the price bounces back stronger once others back the improved odds on the other side. 2.48 Domebet. 16.5 at Eskander but think I'll take the 17.5 @ 1.99 Pinnacle - so a 17pt result it will be then (I've already been done on one that way this season :@ ;)).

I hear what you're saying re: the Friday night game oz' date=' but I still think Collingwood are the better team, and I can't justify taking the Bombers @ 2.35 when I didn't take them @ 2.70 last week against a far worse team. (Should have mind you...both for my wallet and that extra 5 years of my life that got stressed away counting the total down! :lol )[/quote'] When you put your point that way, fair enough :\ but they are $2.58 with Centrebet. If their odds get out to something silly (unlikely but with Pies as opponents you never know) then I might just take it. You say you should've taken $2.70 for them last week .. well ... the Eagles blew out to $3.20 at bounce down ($3.12 with Centrebet) :eek and I didn't even take them OR the Bombers at the line to begin with and I spruiked one of them at least :cry so many coulda shouldas. Bah! That's history. Learn from it 'n' forget it. For the time being I will only stick with fav shockers Richmond +25.5 @ $1.91 for reasons mentioned previously. Waiting for totals and any movements in the market. Not really interested in WB vs Hawks. Tho, Hawks when they lose, lose big. Sydney @ $1.30 w/o Hall, who has been one of their best, is ridiculous against a team that should've finished much closer to the Doggies. It's at the SCG, that's why. Roos were poor travellers last year so dunno how they will fare after 12 Melb games in the 1st 13 Rnds but they are getting a nice start regardless.

Re: AFL Round 14 Yeah, no Pav...looks like Fev will play. Starting to like the look of the Blues myself. But, first things first... Doggies highest scoring team (5.50) [Might be all down to 5.00 now...maybe Ashtee jumped in after me ;) :D ] Most reasons already mentioned... ...so I'll go with who won't be. Neither Melbourne nor West Coast on the road have any scoring power...(total @ 175.5) Port really in the doldrums for scoring, and Brisbane don't kick many goals on the road (But more of that in a minute ;) )... Richmond/Crows looks like being a snoozer...well, doubt either will hit 110, put it that way. Swans/North has already been mentioned as a 40-45 shot max game...(total @ 174.5) Freo have topped 100 twice all season, and 'only' 112 on 27 shots v. Richmond. No Pav. The only team to have scored more than the Dogs all year has been Geelong...up against the best D in the league by a long way, in a game that should be more of a chess game than a shoot out. Collingwood/Essendon are always a chance to kick a big score, but the 'Pies amazing defensive Friday night record, and Essendon D playing ok...chances... Carlton playing a horrible defense @ Freo might be a chance too I guess... ...but I was thinking anywhere above the 4.00 mark would be a good price for the Dogs (not that I'm all that good at setting my own prices...more scores for some reason Crouchy ;) :lol )... ...so the 5.50 was too good to let go. Oh, and considering TAB is paying the Doggies 2.75 to score over 121...I woner who else they expect the score that many? :\ Port v. Brisbane under 187.5 Right on the mark! We know Port have played some horrible teams at home, but their home/road D can barely be compared! Allowing just 21 shots at home...only more than 24 one time. Lions av. just 43 I50's on the road so far, good effort last game @ Tassie, but Hawthorn (and Melbourne before that) are both terrible...and it's the only time they've had more than 25 shots so far. Only 1 game @ home in their last 5, but 24 shots v. Freo isn't great for Port. Happy with this number. Any thoughts on how the Stynes situation will motivate/affect Melbourne? :(

Re: AFL Round 14 In: Jones, Fletcher Out: Daniel Kerr (soreness), Tom Swift Surely the Eagles can't be serious?...Are they trying to out-throw Melbourne?! :eek Dees 2.20...Saints out to 2.58... :unsure

Re: AFL Round 14 I will post all the totals for reference. Wow! Nice and low. COLL-ESS --- (185.5) : 1.90 MELB-WCE --- (175.5) : 1.90 PORT-BRIS --- (187.5) : 1.90 RICH-ADEL --- (181.5) : 1.90 WB-HAWKS --- (194.5) : 1.90 SYD-NTH --- (174.5) : 1.90 STK-CATS --- (180.5) : 1.90 FREO-CARL --- (180.5) : 1.90

Any thoughts on how the Stynes situation will motivate/affect Melbourne? :(
Never thought about it til you brought it up :ok Think it definitely WILL motivate them. Definitely helps if the prez is well liked. Last year Neitz retired leading up to the Hawthorn game R9 and was even on the ground with them to give them a pre-game gee-up. I'm also sure Stynes' boofhead counterpart at the Hawks added some pre-game spice with his usual drivel. Anyway, Dees pushed the Hawks most of the way going down by 19 after starting with a 48.5pt hcp. So the Dees definitely love a "motivator". Also Dick Pratt's death motivated the Blues to pump the Doggies. He too was well liked. Not to sound disrespectful but I'm pretty sure if Kennett was stricken with cancer, it would do sweet FA for the Hawks. So like I said, it would definitely help their cause. Looking at the INs and OUTS: MELB In: Wheatley, Jamar, McDonald, Bate Out: Jack Watts (ill), Paul Johnson, Matthew Whelan, Brad Miller WCE In: Jones, Fletcher Out: Daniel Kerr (soreness), Tom Swift Dees fared well on the ins c.f. West Coast and with Watts out, it avoids an unnecessary Watts-Natanui promotion that the media have been wetting themselves over and one that Melb could do without. All things considering now, I like the Dees here, I just wish they were better than $2.17 @ Centrebet unsure.gif

Dees fared well on the ins c.f. West Coast and with Watts out, it avoids an unnecessary Watts-Natanui promotion that the media have been wetting themselves over and one that Melb could do without. All things considering now, I like the Dees here, I just wish they were better than $2.17 @ Centrebet unsure.gif
Well it came in and I took Melb $2.12 last night. Now it's $2.08. Pretty sure they'll go under $2. Got this article in the back page of The West Australian today with the title "We'll do it for Jimmy".

Re: AFL Round 14 Anyone in Melbourne atm? I see a bit of rain and wind about...but not sure why this total is dropping...extremely tempted by the over @ 183.5 (180.5 [1.85] TAB even) Bombers have consistatly av'd 51 shots/game (well, not just them obviously! :D) all season... ...Collingwood scoring is up with a full forward line in their last few (Didak missed ANZAC day)... ...I think the kicker is who they've played. Bad teams we know (which has also helped them score I guess...)...but 4 of the bottom 6 for scoring, and Port who av. just 83 on the road. No real wonder they allowed just 71 ppg last 5. Almost unbelievably, Essendon have scored 104+ in 7 of their last 8 @ MCG!!...and had 28+ shots in all 8! :eek 2nd and 3rd best in the last 5 for goals/I50's... ...gunna wait a bit longer on the weather, but low 180's looks very cheap indeed. :ok EDIT: Over 181.5 @ Lux...taken.

EDIT: Over 181.5 @ Lux...taken.
Tough luck Taz :wall We all await your rant about the spectacular shooting display tonight. A magnificent 47 scoring shots + 2 rushed behinds for a game total of 169 and I'm sure there'll be some mention of Dead Eye Jack's 2 posters both from point blank and how the game fizzled by the 2nd half anyway.

Re: AFL Round 14 No rant oz! :D Pretty sure I've never seen such a free-flowing game result in so many wasted opertunities tho... ...and you forgot about the 3 or 4 OOTF's as well... :eyes Was pretty confident even going into the last quarter, only needed 50ish and there's usually a few late in a game like that when the pressure dies off... ...only for there to be 10 goal-less minutes to start it off! (With a couple of missed shots/wasted chances of course.) Yeah, that sucked...but just one of those games when you're n the right side but things don't go as they 'should'. [How was that for restained? :wall :wall :puke ] Oh, and in it's own way, bad signs for the Dogs too...Bombers were cruising along, kicked 88.48 last 5, more goals than behinds in each of them... ...Dogs have kicked more goals than behinds in their last 11 straight, 97.51 last 5... ...law of averages hits this weekend, you watch. :moon

Re: AFL Round 14 Yeah, so not entirely sure if My Name is Christo, and all my bad deeds are karmically coming back at once... ...or maybe it's just a horribly unlucky 24 hours, given at 6am this morning I tripped the alarm at work, which called the boss, who happened to be holidaying in Brisbane...which then froze up...you get the idea... ...but anyway, Port have had now 3 goals as a direct result of 50's...now piling it on due to undicipline frees left and right... ...Merrett handballs directly to Gray 20 out on his own, and they've kicked 18.10 as we speak (Bombers...listening?)...and are a genuine danger of taking out the scoring this week. You want a rant oz?...Just wait until I have a few beers, and if something goes wrong tonight this thread (forum even) will see some language/phrases that will make Chris Rock blush. (And yes...physically, that is ******* tough to do! :spank) :cry

Adelaide 1-24 @ 3.40 SportsAlive A low scoring game helps this bet a fair bit. Crows have a good Cararra record and that tips the scales in their favour just ahead of a Richmond side that I can't bring myself to trust in the same way I can a North side.
:cheers Very nice job, CP... ...mind you, I'm a bit surprised you've had time for any football at all this weekend. I've just had a look in the Tour De France thread, and you sure do know your stuff in there! You a cyclist yourself? Just thought it was a little 'strange' given the sport hasn't really got the profile here as it does in Europe. Good luck with it all. :ok (No rant required obviously! :lol Dogs did stop a bit late, and as I suspected it was their worst kicking performance since about rd. 3...How was Eagleton's miss??!! Anyway, hopefully 133 will be enough. )

Re: AFL Round 14 :unsure I'd like someone to explain it (Tour De France) to me one day. It's meaningless when I don't know how the scoring works. There must have been a blue moon somewhere last night :eek. I never get a winner that's resolved before half time. Plenty of losers that way, but never a winner. There was Ess/Carl LW but to put the back against the chair upon 1:30 left is my normal definition of 'easy as can be'. :unsure Very busy day of watching footy and drinking beer (only had one all week, so will need to catch up [despite I'm not an Essendon fan]) ahead of me today.

:cheers Very nice job, CP... ...mind you, I'm a bit surprised you've had time for any football at all this weekend. I've just had a look in the Tour De France thread, and you sure do know your stuff in there! You a cyclist yourself? Just thought it was a little 'strange' given the sport hasn't really got the profile here as it does in Europe. Good luck with it all. :ok (No rant required obviously! :lol Dogs did stop a bit late, and as I suspected it was their worst kicking performance since about rd. 3...How was Eagleton's miss??!! Anyway, hopefully 133 will be enough. )
I can't wait for the Ashes to begin! :wall:cry:@

SU 5 W Bulldogs v Carlton Dockl'ds (D) Scores 13.12 90 21.7 133
SU 10 Essendon v Geelong Dockl'ds (D) Scores 11.4 70 20.14 134
Round 10 was last time one of today's teams topped 133, & Round 5 before that, and you wouldn't think it's ON for Geelong today. But don't worry someone will ;) :lol. Maybe an interchange infringement with 0:02 on the clock, or something ;).

Nah, the closest thing I do to cycling is pass them on the road :lol It's just a very fascinating sport. So many different battles going at any given time, it's thrilling from an entertainment perspective and the fact that there is so much to keep track of generally means bookies always fail to price something up properly. Of course, there's no guarantee that this value ever comes in, which is when things get a bit frustrating. Hoping Geelong can take care of the Saints today (narrowly of course). If they can, I think my Dogs bet will be looking a steal @ 51s :hope

You want a rant oz?...Just wait until I have a few beers, and if something goes wrong tonight this thread (forum even) will see some language/phrases that will make Chris Rock blush. (And yes...physically, that is ******* tough to do! :spank) :cry
After a slow start, you scrubbed up pretty well. wd :cheers