Musselburgh 6th

3.20 - Scottish Sprint Cup ------------------------------ I'm not usually one for handicaps but this one caught my eye while having a look at the past trends . ROKER PARK - A Northern trained 4y-old , drawn low and ran within the past month puts him in with a shout with regards to the stats of the previous 8 winners. Despite being a 4 y-old , this Gelding will be making only his 9th appearance on the racecourse [ i assume injury has played a part ] so it's possible that some improvement is still on the cards . It has won twice , both at 5f , and it's record bears closer inspection. As a 2y-old it ran twice in Group 2 company , btn under 4l and 7l both times. His record over 5f is decent imo - 1st in his debut at Ripon , 7th + 8th in those Grp 2's mentioned above was his 5f receord as a 2y-old As a 3y-old he was 10th in a Catterick H'cap from a bad draw [ 11 ] - first 3 were drawn 1-8-4 and then he won over C/D in a Cl 4 H'cap @ 40/1 !! He has had one run this season and that was at York in a 6f event where he finished well down the field , BUT he was drawn 2 in a race where the first 6 were drawn 15,13,17,16,9 and 12 . That outing should have brought him on and @ 20/1 here an EW bet could bring rewards :hope

Re: Musselburgh 6th 3.20 Musselburgh Jaconet has made a good impression this season and looks a useful filly indeed. She won here over course and distance in April, despite the fact she coulds have been potentially enthralled in a destructive battle for the lead, and that impressed me as it showed versatility. She's started this term superbly, goes for the fourtimer, and will see her potential value as a broodmare rise even futher if she can beat the boys, some of which are useful sprint handicappers, here. 5.15 Musselburgh Legal Legacy looks to hold the strongest claims here as he looks to confirm his superiority over Island Chief who, in turn, had the beating of top-weight Liberty Trail recently. Legal Legacy makes on his third start in handicaps so is open to further imporvement. A 5 lb rise from his last time out win seems fair, and proven over course and distance on good to firm ground he ticks all the main boxes for me.

Re: Musselburgh 6th 2.20 - Capercaillie - Cost $375k and very highly regarded. Ran a race full of promise on debut when being speedy enough to lay up with the early pace set by two with experience, before pressing the accelerator 250yds out and having the fortitude to keep going to the line. Can only improve from that debut run, and should take all the beating over the same C&D this afternoon. 2.50 - Alanbrooke - Went off 6/4f to win on his handicap debut and reappearance lto at Newbury over 11f. Finished strongly to get within a head of the winner that day and having seen the race at the time I thought he was an unlucky loser as Royston left his move too late. A further step up in distance today can only help being by Hernando out of a Darshaan daughter, and when you look at some of his half siblings like Alborada, Albanova, Alma Mater, then you would have to think that a mark of of 81 should be easily easily within his capabilities.

Re: Musselburgh 6th 2.50 Alanbrooke 2/1 boy bog 10 pts This is what I said about this one last week, ‘This one doesn’t have the benefit of a run so far this season but Johnston generally is a trainer who has them pretty fit and this one is one who could well benefit from the conditions here. He is extremely well bred and related to horses who won races like champion stakes. Last year he ran an eyecatching race on debut to stay on into fifth after a slow start. That was ain a maiden that worked out pretty well with the likes of four winds, ra junior and moresco. After that he managed to win a maiden and showed real stamina to do so. He held off future winner and a second that day and on softer ground so can go well on this ground. He steps up markedly in trip but that shapes as though it will only benefit and improve him and he could go well off 78 here.’ As it happened he ran a good race last week and was quiet unlucky not to win. He was held up in a slowly run affair before staying on really well and only was just denied to pick up the win late on. 3 pound higher today but every chance especially given that this could be even more of a test that really should suit him even more.

Re: Musselburgh 6th Dispol Keasha 2.20 Course and distance winner that ran well here and at Doncaster on good and gd-fm ground. Unsuited by a soft surface at York but still thought good enough to be tried at listed level that day and was supported into joint favouritism. 8-1 looks a big price and I'm on each way.

Re: Musselburgh 6th 220 Musselburgh – Mr Smithson ew @ 40/1 bluesq

A speculative each way bet as I think this one is overpriced. Has only finished out of the frame once in a 4 race career, when having the worst of the draw at Beverley. Other than that has run well behind useful types especially last time when beaten by a horse whose trainer described her as “the best filly I have had in a long time” This is tough also but should have the ability to run into a place.

There is 11.5 available for the place on betfair but unfortunately there isn’t enough liquidity to make it a Sports Punter entry.

Re: Musselburgh 6th 3.20 Muss City Dancer - was on her at Chester when she threw away her race in the stalls but she finished well. Think she's more likely to win in handicap than non handicap company but was worried by the fact they had put up a claimer today. However, she's been well backed so now backed with Jaconet.

Re: Musselburgh 6th

5.15 Musselburgh Legal Legacy looks to hold the strongest claims here as he looks to confirm his superiority over Island Chief who, in turn, had the beating of top-weight Liberty Trail recently. Legal Legacy makes on his third start in handicaps so is open to further imporvement. A 5 lb rise from his last time out win seems fair, and proven over course and distance on good to firm ground he ticks all the main boxes for me.
Was very well backed, I was on at 5/2, got backed into even money in the fifteen mins or so before the off and got up late. There wasn't any need for them to go to a photo though like they did, he was clearly the winner.