The ATR Interviews ~ Bowles10

Here we go then, the launch of a new thread to the ATR which will hopefully be both interesting and a bit of fun to the members. I intend to do a series of 'interviews' with ATR members featuring the Mods that help run the section and the posters who help to keep the place growing. The ATR section was born in 2004, it began with a few posts each day with members sticking up their particular bets for that day. The threads back then were quite brief, didnt have many views or replies and seemed to attract little interest. Over the years since then it has become one of the busiest sections on the Punters Lounge. So what changed? Well I have been a member since 2001 and seen many changes on the PL, the ATR section needed a vision, a structure, a way to attract the existing members to pop in and get involved but also to get the many 'lurkers' to sign up and start posting. The driving force behind this vision was Bowles10, known as Rob to most of us. He was appointed Moderator and gathered a team of guys who were both passionate and responsible, this team has changed over the years too but Rob has remained at the helm since day one. The vision was to be different from the other racing forums out there, we didnt want a 'betfair type' forum with lots of meaningless posts, after eventing, non stop arguments and generally people that just didnt get on. This type of forum would need firm but fair moderating on a daily basis to begin with to try and get over the message of what the ATR was all about, some didnt like it and the odd person still doesnt, some saw the mods as 'heavy handed' or 'petty'. I think I can speak for many members and say it was all worthwhile and Rob can be proud of the forum today. I wanted to kick these interviews off on the right foot and it was a no brainer for me and an obvious place to start, Bowles10.

Re: The ATR Interviews ~ Bowles10 The Punters Lounge 1. You joined the PL back in 2002, how did you come across the site in the first place? Seems a long time ago now, I had only just started betting on line & was getting into football betting more than Horse racing, I was interested in a number of the prediction comps available on line. I think whilst searching for these, I came across Sports Punter which led me to Punters Lounge. 2. For the benefit of those members who dont follow football or are too young to remember can you explain your chosen username and why you picked it. Bowles10 is named after the greatest footballer ever to tread the turf at Loftus Road – Stan Bowles. QPR’s famous no.10 (now you get it!) was the player I grew up watching & was often compared with the likes of George Best not only for his off field activities (birds & booze) but also his gift with the ball. They always said “if Stanley could pass a betting shop like he passes a ball, he will be the greatest”. One quick story was that he was found in the betting shop 200 yards from Loftus Road at 2.45pm wearing his full kit & had to be dragged back for the team talk! 3. You have been instrumental in the growth of the ATR section over the years, why did you get involved so much? Believe it or not, but I know I am a control freak when it comes to this sort of thing. I joined PL for the football side but soon realised that the ATR section was perhaps the place to make my mark. The development of the ATR section over these years has also enhanced my education of the sport. We started with a handful of regular posters, some of which are still here, AK, Ralphie to name but 2. However, there were only a few threads started each day & nothing was really followed up, so I think the place just evolved as it grew bigger & the punters joining had the same ethic as me to make it a better place. 4. Is the ATR section today what you had in mind back in 2004 or as it exceeded expectations. It has well exceeded expectations, the quality of posters is unbelievable to be honest & the analysis the guys give shows just how much time they put in. 5. Most racing forums are either busy but chaotic or quiet and select, how do you see the ATR forum. Its busy,but the quality is there to see. Personally, I don’t like lots of threads started for no reason as they simply clog up the board, however daily meeting threads for example were a great idea by the team & now you know where to look. The specialization threads are unique to PL & another great idea. The Mod team in ATR is second to none & the likes of Russ & Mowgli are responsible for what it is today also. 6. The ATR systems section was introduced in 2007, do you think it has worked? Yes, we had to get the systems off the main ATR. My wish however is that regular ATR users also make a habit of checking the systems page every now & then. Lots of works goes into these systems by the posters & sometimes its nice to get a little bit of feedback. Again, the amount of profitable systems shows just how good this place is & also its FREE! 7. Every year you set up a sub forum for Cheltenham, what was the idea behind that? Are you happy with it? I only started this in 2008 and it went down really well. Myself & Mowgli were the instigators & again the Mods help made it a success. Where else can you analyse every race in turn? It improved this year as well & I am sure it will next year. The competitions are always well received & very well run by BH. 8. The newly formed PL Horse Racing Syndicate had its first runner recently and you represented the members at Ascot, can you tell the rest of us who cant access that part of the forum how much of a thrill it was. Well, I must put the detail into the public domain, as this was a great day & if anyone is ever considering racehorse ownership, then this syndicate for as little as £100 has everything. I personally have gone in with 2 of my mates, so its even cheaper & they get the benefit also. The day itself was fantastic from start to finish, finishing 3rd in a class 2 handicap which was the main handicap race of the day & worth £85k in prize money was a great achievement especially on season debut. Being in the winners enclosure with the horse has wetted my appetite for more! Horse Racing 1. Horse racing seems like a passion to you, especially the big meetings, can you remember when you first got involved in the sport of kings. I was born into a family of course bookmakers, my Great Grandad & Grandad had a license from around 1920 to 1970, sadly, they both passed away in the early seventies & I only remember them up to when I was about 7. My dad however was brought up on the racecourses with them & although he went & got a proper job, his first love is racing. I have been going with him since I was around 7yo & I remember betting on the ITV seven for 10p every Saturday. My first winning bet that I can recall was red Rum winning the National (1974) 2. The ATR section was born in Feb 2004, the first thread you started was for the Cheltenham Festival of that year, the subject matter was 'Trends', something you still do now. Why do you find this subject so fascinating? Trends are always something I have been into, I am simply a stats man. I always used to know how many goals teams had scored, let in, won, lost drawn etc. I suppose I have a very good way of reading information & it sticking in the brain (although I can never remember the last thing the wife said to me!!). The idea of the trends thread was to do something I felt I was good at. 3. What type of racing do you enjoy the most, flat, NH, Big races, sprints, classics, AW? NH, especially Cheltenham. There is simply not another course like it anywhere. I do love the flat also for the excitement, the speed & the summer evenings watching it. I have always loved sprints in truth, trying to work them out. Celtic Mill winning a big sprint at sandown 3 years ago was the highlight especially picking up the 36.0 on Betfair the night before! 4. Your latest thread is about discipline within betting, what type of punter do you consider yourself at the moment? At the moment, I feel quite happy, I have looked at my betting in a new way after years of trying but always going back into that old mould & simply I was backing the wrong horses & staking incorrectly. To sum up, I still have a lot to learn but am getting there. 5. As far as betting is concerned, where do you see yourself in five years from now? Consistently making a profit year in, year out. I want to have a decent betting bank without infringing on my day to day expenditure. 6. If you could change one thing in Racing or Betting overnight, what would that be? Admission charges should be consistent, how can Ascot charge £15 for Grandstand & Sandown (£18), Windsor (£17) are more???? Personally, I think £15 for Grandstand access is about right with £20 for Members. 7. Can you remember your first bet, how old were you and where did you put it on? Already mentioned my ITV7 bets from the age of about 7. The 1st time I ever entered a betting shop on my own was when I was about 16, I worked in central London & got to know the manager in the shop as I would get decent tips in those days from Cecil yard & he was a punter so let me bet in his shop. 8. Can you reveal your biggest win to date, you dont have to be specific about the amount but what was it on? Its close between a patent I placed in around 1988 when all 3 came in for a nice amount considering the low stake. Recently, it would be a for a football bet which was a number of 5 folds, 6 folds & a 7 fold which all won. 2 other bets to mention would the 85.0 on Master Minded last year, even the owner didn’t have that! Also I managed to find Klaaesen to win the darts at 150/1 a few years back posted on PL! 9. What was the 'bet' that got away, the nearly bet that still haunts you? Never dwell on past bets, move on……. 10. Do you bet on other sports, if so which ones? Football every week, Darts (once a year), Golf (Majors). 11. Do you bet online or still visit the high street? Which do you prefer? Bet on line mostly, or on the phone. Occasionally place a bet in a shop if I have to. 12. Do you think Horse Racing is 'clean' at the moment and does this effect the way you bet? It never affects the way I bet. I know it will never be fully clean. The question is what people mean by “clean”, personally every punter should be aware by now that not every race in a 16 runner handicap is trying to win, say 25% believe they have a chance, 50% are there to maybe to have a good run to keep its mark, 10% are being run down the field for a coup later on & 15% couldn’t win if they started 10 mins earlier! Quick Questions 1. What is your homepage at the moment? My website which is a personal hobby of mine and hopefully will evolve & improve. Eventually, I want to be a full time tipster!! 2. Name a site on your favourites that may surprise us? All pretty mundane to be honest, its not on my favourites but a link to any Beyonce videos is recommended! 3. Favourite Music, song, band? Mod/Ska – The Jam, The Specials etc 4. Favourite TV show, not sport related? Gavin & Stacey, The apprentice, The inbetweeners 5. What was the last book you read? Don’t read many, autobio of Ian Holloway ex QPR Manager 6. What do you do for a living? Project manager for a Property company mainly dealing with relocation of staff from one office to another including the refurbishment, set up & comms etc. 7. Do you have any hobbies away from sport? My website, enjoy holidays abroad also. Wife & 3 daughters keep me in check! 8. What is your Golf handicap? 22 at present. I was 22 at 14 year old & have never been able to get lower than about 19. Target for me is 18 (1 shot a hole!) 9. What gadgets do you own, Ipod, Mobile, etc... Blackberry (work), IPod shuffle, Wii, PS2. 10. Do you prefer Racing UK, ATR or Channel 4? RUK by far 11. Biggest personal achievement? Ok, haven’t achieved it yet but a Hole in One would be the ultimate. Things like passing driving test, achieving promotion etc are all in there, but I suppose bringing up 3 daughters with my wife would be the one I should mention. ____________________________________________________ A big thanks to Rob for agreeing to do this, any questions I havnt asked and you want to please feel free and Rob might give you an answer. Rob with idol Stan Bowles scan00072.jpg Rob at Wembley 6x4rob.jpg

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.