Punchestown 1st May

5:30 Quevega WIN 3/1 Bet365 BOG As mentioned in a different thread I took 3/1 about this animal today and she has plummeted in price and if the plummet continues, will be very short indeed. The way she won the mares hurdle was absolutely devastating. She was foot perfect and showed a stunning turn of foot to see off some semi decent rivals. Even if Whiteoak had turned up, I dont believe she would have got anywhere near her. Some smart rivals here including Punjabi (CH winner) and Solwhit (Aintree winner), with the latter being paid a big compliment today by Fiverforthree. However, the way Willie Mullins's horses are running (as a majority), it is very hard to make a case against her. Will she appreciate the drop back in trip? I believe so, especially with the ground being softer than anticipated at the start of the week and she will certainly appreciate the ground. I backed her at Cheltenham saying

Ground, contray to popular belief shouldnt be an issue and she should act well on the ground. Looked an absolute class act LTO when slamming some pretty decent rivals by 4l but it could have easily been much greater. United is the model of consistency but perhaps lacks the genuine touch of class that the favourite seemingly posseses. WP Mullins was considering her for the Champion Hurdle at one point before opting for this event, and I cant see anything touching her today.
I actually believe she doesnt have to be as good here to win this race but as I said, the way these horses are running, I cannot bypass her.

Re: Punchestown 1st May 5.30 Punchestown The Willie Mullins and Ruby Walsh brigade continue to roll on at Punchestown and Quevega can extend their run in tomorrows Rabobank Champion Hurdle. Mullins runs Quevega here and the fact he is lining this mare up against the reigning champion hurdler (Punjabi) and several other top hurdlers suggests he holds her in high esteem. She absolutely bolted up in the Mares Hurdle at Cheltenham and although it is questionable as to what she beat that day, she could not have been more impressive. At 15/8 she may not be the best value in the world but she should take plenty of beating. Punjabi won this last season but there is no question he would have preferred better ground here and I just cannot have him at all today. He may well be up there turning for home but he will be run out of it late on and may well struggle to get home aswell as some of the others on this ground. The other interesting runner is Solwhit. This horse has done nothing but improve all season and he was a gutsy winner of the Aintree Hurdle at the beginning of the month. That day he beat Fiveforthree and that horse has franked the form since. United was 3 1/2L back in third that day but if we take into account Quevega beat United by 14L easing up at Cheltenham, surely Solwhit has plenty to find with the Mullins mare? I think Willie Mullins must also know where he stands with Solwhit as although Fiveforthree is a smashing prospect, Quevega could well be in a different league. I said above 15/8 may not be the best value for this mare but in all honesty, the formlines are there to suggest she ought to be alot shorter and with the stable in great form, I simply cannot oppose her in this contest. QUEVEGA - Win at 15/8 (BOG)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.