Windsor (eve) 27/4/09

It looks an interesting card tonight with the likes of Swinburn, Hannon and Cole sending out debutants in the opening maiden and in the 6.25 I think Red Merlin is sure to go well with Clive Cox' yard firing on all cylinders once more. When this yard hits form you have to sit up and take note and usually their runners can be backed at decent prices. However, that isn't really the case today as their runner is a 7/4 chance for this race. He made a satisfactory return at Kempton earlier in the month and showed great promise in middle distance turf handicaps last year. He looks to have more to offer and should be tough to beat. The presence of Andrew Balding's runner makes the race interesting as Relative Strength is unexposed and that yard too are in good form. So a watching brief for me, but was very tempted to lump onto Red Merlin. The 6.55 sees the return of Richard Hannon's lightly raced Orange Pip and the four year old filly was a decent animal last year, handles soft ground and is a distance winner and deserves another chance after disappointing last time out. She looks handicapped to win more races but the one that catches me eye at the prices is the top-weight, Buxton. He holds a fitness advantage over Orange Pip and ran a superb race last time out at Folkestone on fast ground. He was rather unlucky in that he bumped into a resurgent Rash Judgement, an animal that was out of form but had been gelded, and they're pricing him up at 14/1. The five year old lacks the scope for progression of some of these and may have been a little harshly treated with a 4 lb rise for his last time out second, which puts him 8 lbs higher than his last winning mark. That said, the gelding looked in good shape last time and often runs a race in this grade so may sneak a place. The 7.25 sees inform Michael Jarvis sent out Putra One whilst Stoute, Gosden, Chapple-Hyam, J. Dunlop, Swinburn, B.Hills and Candy all send out runners in what looks a decent race on paper. Another, Outrageous Request, from the Eddery yard, is one I was on last time out and he made eyecatching progress late in the day, weaving through beaten runners to take sixth, and had he been ridden up with the pace he may have sneaked a place as it paid to race prominently in that race. I think his turn will come when handicapping, but will hope for a decent run tonight to reinforce the opinion that he does have some talent in there somewhere and to keep him in the horse tracker in the meantime. Thant brings me on to the final race of the night and my only bet on the card... 7.55 Windsor Mitra Jaan - I like to look for unexposed horses that have the potential for plenty of improvement, especially when they hail from yards in form. This Diktat filly ticks both boxes and could go well for Walter Swinburn. Ninth on her debut in a warm Newmarket maiden she wasn't in the same league as Rainbow View or Snoqualmie Girl at the front at the field, but she was closely matched with Clive Brittain's Nashmiah, a horse that has regularly competed in pattern races since and picked up a listed prize at Lingfield when last seen in March. She was then stepped up to today's trip of a mile next time out at Kempton, finishing 4th of 14. She was still disputing a place 1f out before losing several places close home, but it was a promising effort and the winner was officially rated 90 when landing a conditions race at Newbury earlier this month which gives the form some credibility, even if she was well beaten. She was last seen last October over course and distance, racing in a first time tongue tie and finishing a credible 4th again, giving off the impression she would benefit from getting the run under her belt to qualify her for a handicap mark. Stablemate Antinori finished infront in second and has begun the season well, running close of marks of 79 in handicaps and Cut and Thurst who she had behind that day, has won twice since handicapping, the latest off a rating of 68. Mitra Jaan is let in off 72 here and I think that entitles her to win a race or two. She is in good hands and the trainer knows how to get them ready, with Smart Endeavour, Hendersyde and Staying On just three that have won on their seasonal reappearances in recent weeks for the yard. Furthermore, the trainer has started out well in three year old handicaps this term with a strike rate of 2-6 (LSP +1.58). With Adam Kirby on you have a decent jockey on top and from a good, high draw, with a tongue tie fitted once again, I think the 10's with Bet 365 looks a chanceable each-way bet.

Re: Windsor (eve) 27/4/09 great write ups there Fintron:clap, pity no one seems interested in the meeting tonight with no other posts, but a couple of 2nds & a good spot on Outrageous Requests 2nd @ 14's, didnt see the race but is it still one to have on your side in the future maybe?

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.