Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Im currently +9.87. Chennai to beat Deccan 5/6 sj 10 pts I like Chennai here as well. Deccan were hopeless last year and only won 2 matches in the whole event. Intially they managed to turn last years form on its head with 4 wins straight in this. However they have now lost 2 straight and it may just be that their bubble has burst somewhat. Their bowling which has been superb so far in this event is hit by the loss of Edwards and it wont be easy for Vaas/Harris to replace him against this Chennai attack. Chennai have one of the best aggressive combinations in the IPL with big run scorers like Hayden/Raina and then huge hitters down the order like Morkel/Dhoni/Oram who can all win games on their own. Their bowling isnt as strong and yet I say that even though they still have the magician that is Murali. Also they seem to have recovered somewhat with a couple of wins on the bounce and they might just have the added firepower to win this one.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Im currently +9.87. Chennai to beat Deccan 5/6 sj 10 pts I like Chennai here as well. Deccan were hopeless last year and only won 2 matches in the whole event. Intially they managed to turn last years form on its head with 4 wins straight in this. However they have now lost 2 straight and it may just be that their bubble has burst somewhat. Their bowling which has been superb so far in this event is hit by the loss of Edwards and it wont be easy for Vaas/Harris to replace him against this Chennai attack. Chennai have one of the best aggressive combinations in the IPL with big run scorers like Hayden/Raina and then huge hitters down the order like Morkel/Dhoni/Oram who can all win games on their own. Their bowling isnt as strong and yet I say that even though they still have the magician that is Murali. Also they seem to have recovered somewhat with a couple of wins on the bounce and they might just have the added firepower to win this one.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Was a comfortable win for Chennai. Going with one tomorrow. +20.83 going in. The bet is going to be on the side who've so far been my nemesis in this event but who showed signs an improvement isn't far away. 3pts Rajasthan to beat Kings XI 6/5 Ladbrokes Rajasthan have been so inconsistent it's untrue so far in this IPL. They seem to be on a win lose win lose run at the minute. Unfortunately if that patterns continues they'll lose this one but I'm sure that's just a co-incidence. Kings XI have won 4 of their last 5 but they haven't been overly convincing and they laboured to a win against Kolkata last time out. We've got another one of those style clashes here. Rajasthan's batting has been woeful so far, especially from their top 3 while Punjab's bowling attack isn't the greatest and has the tendency to still go round the park on occasions. Kings XI's batting is their stronger point but they will be up against a decent bowling attack here. Smith can't continue to keep performing so poorly, he's too good for that and when he clicks into gear, given that Rajasthan's bowling attack is so good and here at Durban where the spinners have been successful which brings Warne and Pathan right into play, Rajasthan will be tough to beat. I like the chances of the Royals getting runs against this bowling attack whereas Kings XI could struggle against Warne, Harwood, Patel et al and at 6/5 I'll take the defending champions to prevail here.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Very hard game to read this one. I get the feeling the Pathan's might decide this one. If Yusuf bats well I think the Royals will be in pole position. Carseldine gave the Royals a much better look and his domestic form for Queensland was brilliant, particularly in the shortened versions. Still, with no Patel for the Royals and Sreesanth into the Punjab team I think I might leave the match odds alone and hope that Abdulla gets zero wickets. Two side bets though: Kings XI Punjab - Method of First Dismissal - Stumping @ 31 Warne often likes to bowl the spinners first up and I don't see why that'd be any different tonight. If Punjab are chasing a big total then they will be forced to go hard early and a charge go wrong could well be on the cards. Most Sixes - Tie @ 7.00 More instinct than anything. I think Punjab have the better 6 hitters but I also favour teams batting first to hit more sixes. With Punjab batting 2nd I will try for a tie.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Currently +18.17 Mumbai to beat Deccan 4/5 vc 10 pts Going against Deccan here. Deccan had a great start to the IPL with 4 wins straight which was some achievement given they won only 2 games last year. However the tide has turned somewhat and they have now lost 3 straight. They were thumped in their last game as well by Chennai and have some questions to answer. Their bowling seems to miss edwards and suddenly too much of the onus seems to be on ohja and singh. Plus their batting seems to just be one player short in the middle, laxman is ideal but his form is awful and that means a lot rests on Sharma after the star opening duo. Smith has made some good contributions but he is still very hit and miss. Mumbai arguably have a similar problem with regards their batting after the star opening duo, the class of Duminy follows and then there is Bravo but after that a little bit short. However they do have a class bowling attack despite the blow of losing Zaheer. Malinga has been awesome in this so far and he could just the difference maker in this game. Im going against Deccan again with Mumbai in this one.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Well i cannot believe how Deccan have won that game today. How many times are Mumbai going to throw away winning positions. Never thought 145 was going to be enough but when Jayasuriya and Sachin went cheaply it looked good. Once Duminy got them back on track all they had to do was keep up with the 7 an over rate then Bravo just lost the plot and went for a big shot too early and they just collapsed. Great bowling from Sharma 4 wickets from 2 overs is unbelievable. Think Mumbai might struggle to make the top 4 from here on in, amazing considering the talent they have

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Up to +24.43 after Rajasthan's walk in the park the other day. I'm taking them on tomorrow. 3pts Bangalore to beat Rajasthan 11/10 Bet365 On the opening night of the IPL Bangalore absolutely thrashed Rajasthan thanks mostly to an unbelievable spell of bowling from Anil Kumble. Both sides have been inconsistent since then but both are probably coming into this match in their best form. That's certainly the case for Rajasthan anyway. They thrashed the Kings XI out of sight last time out. Since Anil Kumble took over this Royal Challengers outfit in the main they've played good cricket. Their bowling attack remains hard to get away and scoring 150 against this lot hasn't been easy. The same comments can apply to Rajasthan really. They have a miserly bowling attack. Both sides have shown inconsistencies with the bat but looking down their order I think Bangalore have the more reliable batting lineup. They annihilated Mumbai last time out, losing only one wicket in their run chase. Both sides will be confident coming in here but I think Bangalore have been the all round more consistent side and I fancy them to edge a low scoring game.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Over 1.5 Ducks @ 2.18 (Bangalore v Royals) For whatever reason there's often a few quackers in the Bangalore side. Neither team has IMO what you'd call great batting so there could be a few wickets to fall, and given the nature of T20, ducks are always more likely. Quite like Chennai too, but will just hope they win without having a bet on them. Would love for Abdulla to go wicket-less and have Punjab out of Top 4 contention.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Chennai to beat Rajasthan 8/11 pp 10 pts Going with Chennai again. They really have found some form in this with 4 straight wins and its been their inform batting that has helped them. Hayden, Raina and Dhoni in particular and it says a lot that someone like Morkel and even Oram haven’t been used that much in truth. Its a batting lien up that quite simply can blow bowling attacks away. RR are also an inform team with a decent bowling line up helping them no end. However quite how they will cope against CSK awesome batting lien up remains to be seen and it can’t help that yet another of their bowling is under investigation for an illegal action. Chennai’s bowling depth is still a bit of a concern although it wasn’t easy for them last the in the circumstances to fully judge them. However I just think they might have the firepower to see them through here.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Disappointing day on Thursday sent me back to +21.43 for the tournament. One for this afternoon. 3pts Rajasthan to beat Chennai 5/4 Boylesports Both these sides are coming into this match in fairly decent form but I like Rajasthan more here. When the two sides met in the reverse fixture Chennai won by 38 runs but an awful lot of that was down to Suresh Raina spanking a superb 98. That's unlikely to happen again whilst since that match, Rajasthan have found a settled side and some batting form. Chennai have won their last 4 coming in here but they still don't have the greatest bowling attack. Warne's lot have finally found some form and in Jadeja they have unearthed an all rounder who has pushed into the India twenty20 world cup squad. Carseldine has made a difference as has the wicket keeper Ojha. Amit Singh is still allowed to play and I think Rajasthan has the all round bowling attack to restrict Chennai to a manageable total. Then with the batting a lot better than before I'd be confident they can chase that total down. 2 good sides here in a re-run of last years final but when it's all over I expect the same result as last year's final - a Royals win.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 No joy for me on Saturday so back down to +18.43 for the tournament. I'm going with one early one for tomorrow and may come back with another in the later game. 3pts Mumbai to beat Bangalore 10/11 William Hill Mumbai come into this match in awful form but I think this match offers them a chance to get a win under their belts. Bangalore have shown all competition that they can be inconsistent and although they've played a lot better under Anil Kumble's captaincy, their batting still isn't what you would describe as on fire. Mumbai have a decent bowling attack to get through this Bangalore lineup and their batting lineup is way too good to keep misfiring. With that in mind I'll take the Indians to get a much needed win here.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Mumbai are looking ok for me so I'm going to take a chance on Kolkata in the late game. 3pts Kolkata to beat Delhi 13/8 VC Kolkata sit bottom of the table coming into this match but they haven't been blown out of sight in too many matches. In fact in most of the matches they've lost it's been in the last over so they don't need to make too much improvement to start picking up wins. Delhi are 2nd in the table and can go top with a win but their top order hasn't been firing too much so far either. It's been de Villiers and Dilshan who have been their stars. Kolkata could well welcome David Hussey back into their side today and that will boost their batting significantly and it's only a few extra runs they need to be ultra competitive. McCullum hasn't fired yet in this competition but JoBurg has short boundaries and if he gets in and gets going he could take the game away from Delhi. Kolkata's bowling has been pretty good, they've not gone for 160 too often so if Hussey's presence improves their batting then the Knight Riders can come away with a victory here.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Currently +23.3: Deccan to beat Rajasthan 10/11 wh 10 pts Not the easiest game to call this but just going for Deccan. When these two sides played earlier this season, RR won a game that for long periods seemed unlikely before some late order heriocs. However Deccan should go into this game with a key player who wasnt in that game, and thats Symonds. Symonds unquestionably has a point to prove and he can easily be Deccan's Pathan and he showed on sat he was in decent form. He also adds much more to the batting which now has a much more solid feel about it in the middle order with Symonds, Sharma to compliment the potentially devastating opening duo. Deccan's bowling isnt as strong now without Edwards but in general has been pretty good in this event. As for their form, it isnt as good as earlier in this but is seemingly picking up again with a win two starts back and a narrow defeat lto, certainly better than the mauling they got to chennai last mon. RR have performed better of late in this event after being by far the most inconsistent team in this event early on, in particular with their batting. However they did lose their last game to chennai and whilst thats no disgrace, there are still major questions over their batting for me and also pressure on their bowling with the uproar of a couple of their players essentially being found to be chuckers. As I say Im not massively confident here but just like Deccan's batting a bit more and that could be the difference.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Small loss in the end yesterday but I'm still +18.16 for the competition which I'm happy with. One for today. 3pts Rajasthan to beat Deccan 6/5 Skybet These two sides both played in Kimberley on Saturday and we saw during their two matches that the pitches turn big, in fact at times they were turning square and that to me makes Rajasthan favourites in this match. They have the best spinner to have ever graced the game, and two very good ones in Jadeja and Pathan. Deccan can't reply with anything as good. Ojha is a good bowler who rarely goes for many but the best they can offer after that is Sharma who is very part time and Symonds who has been constantly taken apart in his IPL career, not least by Rajasthan in the 1st IPL. There's the school of thought that Deccan's batting is very good which would be right but they needed every bit of Andrew Symonds in the last game to recover from 70 odd for 4 and even a Symonds century wasn't enough to beat Rajasthan in one of the games between the sides last season. Smith and Pathan can both bat, as can Ojha and if Tyron Henderson receives a recall, he can too. Jadeja provides the glue against what is a fairly expensive bowling attack. Rajasthan's attack rarely goes around the park and with the spinners in their side I don't expect it to today. Deccan have been really expensive so far which leads me to be confident that Rajasthan will score runs today. Rajasthan are 3 from 3 against Deccan in IPL history and I fancy them to make it 4/4 today.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Bangalore Vs Kolkata despite both being in the bottom two,Mumbai's dip in form and Rajasthan's defeat today, leaves the door open for Anil Kumble's men to challenge for a semi-final spot,Kolkata's have been poor in all departments and the batting especially looks very vunerable, Praveen Kumar will return tommorrow, and experienced players like Kumble, Dravid, Kallis and Boucher should do the job. Bangalore Win @ 8/11 not really interested in betting the second match as Punjab vs Mumbai as an outright, could go either way, but will have an interest in the top runscorer market. Mumbai - JP Duminy @ 4/1 Punjab - Jayawardene @ 11/2

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 I'm rarely one to criticise Warne's captaincy but he got that all wrong today. How Munaf Patel only bowled one over when his over was the best of the innings I don't know. Smith got a shocker and that was that. Back to +15.14 which I'm still happy with although I could do with arresting this losing run. I'm going to chance Kolkata again tomorrow though. 3pts Kolkata to beat Bangalore 5/4 Bet365 I find it madness that Kolkata with their batting mishaps in the competition so far could leave out David Hussey the other night but surely they can't do the same again here. Even if he doesn't come off with the bat, he can bowl 4 tidy overs of spin which never went for many against SA let alone a domestic side. Then there's the strange goings on with forking out $600k for Mortaza, too much anyway IMO, and not playing him. He can clear the boundary with the bat and isn't the worst opening bowler and could be a good foil to Ishant Sharma. I'd like to see Kolkata ditch the SA keeper and shove McCullum back behind the stumps, ditch Henriques and stick Hussey in there and either Mortaza or Langeveldt. Bangalore have been solid but rely so much on their bowling attack. To be fair it's a good one with Kumble very difficult to get away and Praveen Kumar having a good tournament as is the young kid van der Merve. With the bat it's been all about Dravid in the main so far and looking down their order there isn't anyone you would say is in great form. This is the bowling attack which McCullum destroyed on the opening night last season. He's been unlucky with a couple of shocking decisions but he's too good to not bang a big score out soon. Bangalore aren't going to take a game away from you with the bat so if Hussey can come in and inspire a better batting display, even though they have only pride to play for, I think the Knight Riders can come away with the win.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Easy win yesterday to go to +32.4. Punjab to beat Mumbai evens spo 10 pts Big game this with the winner going into the top 4 and Im going with Punjab. Punjab have been pretty consistent in this bar one shocking performance against RR. Bar that defeat the games they have lost have been tight or affected by the weather. Their bowling on paper at least is stronger now with Lee and sreesanth into the attack from the beginning although both of them are still searching for fitness. As for their batting it again looks strong on paper with Singh, Sangakarra, Jayawardene and maybe Katich. Their brave attempt to chase over 10 an over against Chennai appeared to play some of their players back into form as they held their nerve to chase 169 to beat Deccan at the weekend. Mumbai are a team who have been pretty poor in the main in the last few games. They won their last game against an inconsistent Bangalore side but that was their first win in 3 and there were some poor batting performances during that time. Lto they scored their runs with their powerful top 4 including Sachin, Sanath and Duminy. However after that they lack a bit, Bravo maybe but their lack of depth has been seen on a few ocassions and that concerns me. Their bowling remains decent but it still is missing a major player in Khan and his is still a doubt today. If he is fit then their chances improve but I still like Punjab's balance a bit more and also their form, Punjab for me.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009

Bangalore Vs Kolkata despite both being in the bottom two,Mumbai's dip in form and Rajasthan's defeat today, leaves the door open for Anil Kumble's men to challenge for a semi-final spot,Kolkata's have been poor in all departments and the batting especially looks very vunerable, Praveen Kumar will return tommorrow, and experienced players like Kumble, Dravid, Kallis and Boucher should do the job. Bangalore Win @ 8/11 not really interested in betting the second match as Punjab vs Mumbai as an outright, could go either way, but will have an interest in the top runscorer market. Mumbai - JP Duminy @ 4/1 Punjab - Jayawardene @ 11/2
Ross Taylor,you absolute beauty!!!:beer:clap smeered 81 off 33 balls, those last 5 overs were meant to be incredible, Jayawardene's been rested today, could have done with him, Duminy's playing dont know if he'll get enough time to bat today though.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Deccan Vs Delhi Deccan to score most 6's @ 10/11 Think it could be a hard one to pick the match winner, but if things pan out, Deccan at least have the batsman to score alot of Maximums. Smith & Gilchrist are very dangerous, throw in Suman, Symonds and Rohit Sharma, the potential is fair. If Sehwag returns must hope he's not at his 6hitting best, AB, Warner and Dilshan are all capable of big shots, but think Deccan have the power here.