Painful National Memories

Although I've done ok in the race over the years (due to playing E/W and having savers etc) I've had some shocking luck in the big one. Every unlucky horse in recent years was carrying my money it seems. The ones below are not all tales of woe - I also backed Red Maurader in Beau's year but I've been unlucky when going for the real big hit in the race. What are your painful memories? Everyone must have at least one in this great race. Mine are pretty brutal... 2008 Knowhere E/W at 100/1 going well when UR at Valentine's 2nd time around. 2007 Simon 20/1 and going very well when falling at Valentine's 2nd time around. 2005 Clan Royal despite early saddle problems, going well in front when carried out at Bechers 2nd time around. 2002 Ad Hoc my biggest GN bet ever, on at 33/1, 25/1 and 14/1 - cruising when brought down 4 out. 2001 Beau 2nd biggest bet in the race, on at 16/1 and was going well in front when reins broke at the 17th - unseated next. 1998 Brave Highlander On E/W at 40/1 - was travelling in 5th when Philip Hide made a hash of things at the Canal Turn and UR. 1997 Lord Gyllene, Suny Bay, Buckboard Bounce (Comb T/C) 1st, 2nd and a strong finishing 4th. 14/1, 8/1, 40/1.

Re: Painful National Memories Bewleys Berry (2007) my most painful - was travelling really well at the front of the pack, staying out of trouble before proved its own worst enemy and falling at Bechers (22nd). SP was 22/1, can't remember what price I was on, but a bit more than that.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.