Boxing weekend 27feb

Some great boxing this weekend with fights such as Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz Chris John vs Rocky Juarez Matt Skelton vs Martin Rogan Rendall Munroe vs Kiko Martinez Dont know how many of these I will get to see live but I hope to catch some sort of replays. Will maybe look at others later but Im gonna have a punt on Martinez to beat Munroe on points 11/2 Betfred In their last encounter munroe took the title from martinez on a close majority decision. My opinion is that KM seriously underestimated RM after he demolishd Bernard Dunne in less than 90 secs and Dunne was touted to be the next to break onto the world stage from ireland. In their last fight RM frustrated heavy handed KM with lots of movement. I think this time around maybe KM has learned from his mistakes in the 1st fight and will not look for the blowout but be much more measured with his punches. This is essentially an even money fight in my eyes and I certainly wouldnt put anyone off backing Munroe but 11/2 seems like good value to me on KM turning the tables in what was already a close fight the 1st time around. Not mentioned above but Im looking forward to seeing Tyson Fury again on the undercard of Thaxton, not really sure what to make of him but hes certainly interesting. Any other opinions about this weekends fights?

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb Am on Kiko pts @ 6/1. Agree with everything you say. He'll know what to expect now, as last time out i think he had no plan b when he could'nt overwhelm Munroe, who boxed the fight of his life by the way. Another reason this is a sound value play, is the MD in the first fight. IMO, Munroe was a clear pts winner, but the judges had it so close with one awarding it a draw 114-114. This same judge is on duty tonight as is one of the munroe judges by 115-113 to be fair but.. Kiko's power is a worry, but Munroe neutralised that soundly enough in the first clash. I notice Martinez has been heavily backed HW and via KO, would be interesting to know which parts of the country this has come from.

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb Marquez/Diaz is what it's all about. Superb matchup, in what is an old school pressure fighter v's classic counter puncher. Respect to JMM taking this on in Diaz' backyard. Looking forward to Fury who's certainly talking the talk. Faces a Russian journeyman nicknamed 'Shrek', with only 5 ko defeats from 29 losses. Three other Brit heavies could'nt put him away, expect Fury to try and make a statement. Some good action this weekend. Be back tomorrow.

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb Very valid points Green. I only saw the judge thing after the post or wouldve mentioned, either way its encouraging. KMs power is certainly a worry but RM seems to have a solid chin and slipped his way through last time so maybe it could be the same but as mentioned above I think Kiko will be a little more patient this time. The betting is a slight worry as I know there was a splurge on his 1st round ko of dunne after kiko said he had backed himself after the weigh in. Still taking into account all this I still see good value in 11/2. Incidentally where was 6s - No big deal for a tickle but I looked high and low:-S

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb Think it's fair to say, Munroe's got Kiko's number big time. Masterful display. 6's was with Boyles mate. I think another book had it also. Boyles a standout 1.8 tonight for McIntosh. He's fighting a stylistic nightmare in Barney, but as long as there's no Khan'esque Prescott moment ( and Barney ain't got no power ) this should be safe enough. Won't be pretty this, as Barney likes to frustrate his opponents with his own unique tv un-friendly style. Did the same to Froch when @ 168, but it works for him. Hoping Danny can follow up his 2 recent tko's with the same. At 34 how much as Barney got left? But being the home fighter, the decision should be a formality if it goes the 12 anyway. Murat should replicate his W over Sanavia, still looking at others.

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb Agree on Mcintosh, I'll be having some of that. He's a stylish fighter when he's firing, Mcintosh and I can't see him having too many problems taking a wide decision over Barney. Only small issue might be stamina. There was a point in the Spartacus fight where he looked absolutely knackered, but he came on strong again. Hopefully it's not a real problem. I'm torn on the Rogan/Skelton fight. I think Rogan at 5s has a bit of value, maybe. Thing is, Skelton never looks impressive but always seems to do enough. Rogan is probably on a par with the likes of Krence and McDermott and they both got KO'd by Matt, so maybe Skelton by KO is the call. But the 1.65 available is prohibitive. Think I'll leave that alone.

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb F*cking strange fight, looked like Skelton was easing to a win towards the end and Rogan looked completely gassed. Don't know how Skelton stayed on his feet in the middle rounds though, think any oher heavyweight would have folded about 5 or 6 times during that one. Gutted for Skelton, if he doesn't get a rematch we might not see him on telly again. Rogan is so frustrating, he doesn't own a jab, can't box at range and yet outpointed an Olympic Gold medallist and now KO'd the iron chin Skelton. He's strong and resilient with a great heart. Can't help thinking Skelton could have easily won that though if he'd been more sensible. Maybe the 42 yrs have finally caught up with him. He's a legend and a great fighter in a number of disciplines, Rogan hasn't got a tenth of the skill Skelton has but credit to him for continuing to win how he does!

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb

Gutted for Skelton' date=' if he doesn't get a rematch we might not see him on telly again. Rogan is so frustrating, he doesn't own a jab, can't box at range and yet outpointed an Olympic Gold medallist and now KO'd the iron chin Skelton. He's strong and resilient with a great heart. Can't help thinking Skelton could have easily won that though if he'd been more sensible. Maybe the 42 yrs have finally caught up with him. He's a legend and a great fighter in a number of disciplines, Rogan hasn't got a tenth of the skill Skelton has but credit to him for continuing to win how he does![/quote'] Yeah I like Skelton a lot. He's an ugly boxer, but he's a fighter and a winner and a more dedicated, honest pro you would struggle to find anywhere. What about Rogan though? IMO he's got to go after a payday 'cause this run ain't going to last forever. Is he promoted by warren? Did you see the McIntosh and Thaxton fights? Thaxton was outclassed, and I think that's more or less the end of him. Barney on the other hand was just a disgrace. Why the fcuk would a fighter of that pedigree come and do that?

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb Not sure about Rogan, who can he fight now domestically? Williams? Thought Thaxton got screwed at the beginning of the fight, it was pretty heads up of the Frenchman to do that but he looked gone to me. After that though Thaxton faded badly. Didn't see Barney, what happened? Wonder if Mayweather will respond to Marquez calling him out..

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb

Not sure about Rogan' date=' who can he fight now domestically? Williams?[/quote'] No idea. Williams would make sense, but IMO he's got to fight someone with a profile within his next 3 fights. and get the decent payday he deserves. Yeah that was pretty low by the french bloke, but it did the trick. I actually thought he'd turned his back and the ref had waved it off. After that Jono just got outclassed I think, Ezzache was very slick and fast. Barney was DQ for excessive holding in the 3rd. That's him done at any kind of level. Can't see it. The only fight that's big enough fr Mayweather right now is Pacman. If he doesn't come back for that he won't come back at all IMHO.

Re: Boxing weekend 27feb Warned you about Barney's style. It's nothing new, he's done it on a number of occasions, but refs have let him get away with it. Not complaining cos it took any stress out of the 1.80 shot. Lovely hit. Said on another thread i liked both Rogie and Matt. Proper geezers in and out of the ring. What you see is what you get, tons of heart and grit, and no mouth. Best HW domestic for eons imo. F*** it lets get a rematch on. Paul, Rogan is managed by Irish promoters. JMM/Diaz different gravy! I really admire Marquez and long been a fan of his, he's been on the wrong end of some dodgy decisions. A superb craftsman, who sometimes does himself no favours when he displays the Mexican trait of getting into a scrap. Mayweather would marmalise him though.